Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so ordered the zone 4.25" lift with the metal cloak adjustable trac bar and the zone quick disconnects! I got the body lift and motor mount lift installed tonight with the help of another jeep buddy. We are going to tackle the 3" suspension tomorrow morning! I have sprayed pretty much every bolt that is coming off with PB blaster for the past 4 days! Any advice or tips before we start tackling the suspension lift? Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I made a list of all the fastener sizes, locations, and their torque values I would need I to tighten, then went over them again a week later then again a month later.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think I'm going to tackle mine this weekend. Thank you for that write up Water Dog. I've seen it on here in a bunch of places...I have it printed out and ready to go!

·
Registered
64 Posts
i got mine installed about a week ago today.... great lift springs are great, i got it installed on my 06 wrangler x, and i have small drive line issues around 25mph. I need to do a t case drop, but other than that its a great lift kit.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
i got mine installed about a week ago today.... great lift springs are great, i got it installed on my 06 wrangler x, and i have small drive line issues around 25mph. I need to do a t case drop, but other than that its a great lift kit.
Should need less than 1/4" of a drop.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yep. 2-3 washers per bolt should do the trick.

As for the original request, I'd have some bolts on stand-by in case you break the existing upper rear shock bolts.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
agreed, do it the easy way. grab a dozen 1/2" fender washers, the 1/8" thick variety. then loosen all three bolts on the drivers side. notice loosen, not remove. then loosen all three bolts on the passenger side. remove one bolt at a time and slide the washers in place. replace bolt and move on until all 6 are done. then tighten them all up.

i always do one washerper bolt first, as you may not need two washers stacked on top of each other

·
Registered
120 Posts
My lift is arriving tomorrow. I've got a wheeling trip coming up this weekend and time is of the essence. I'm gonna make sure everything is done right, but I've heard certain parts if the instructions are unnecessary, like disconnecting the rear control arms and messing with the fuel shroud... Any advise for efficient installation? I've got a strut compressor rented, thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My lift is arriving tomorrow. I've got a wheeling trip coming up this weekend and time is of the essence. I'm gonna make sure everything is done right, but I've heard certain parts if the instructions are unnecessary, like disconnecting the rear control arms and messing with the fuel shroud... Any advise for efficient installation? I've got a strut compressor rented, thanks!
hey man I just did the zone 4.25" install on my LJ! The instruction will tell you to disconnect the drag link and controls arms for more droop. I didn't have to do either. So that saved me time. I did need the strut compressor to help put those new springs in tho! Also, I would do the body lift first. You should most deffinetly loosen the fan shroud. If you don't you will crack it. Also, loosen the fuel filler hose! It will get real tight when you start lifting the body from the frame. It takes like 1 minutes to loosen the fuller hose so better safe than sorry. Also, I had to use the steering shaft spacer because my steering shaft was at a bad angle. Yours might be different, but plan on installing the steering shaft spacer. Also you might slip out of 4-lo so you will have to install the transfer case linkage adjuster. It literally took me 3 minutes to do the shifter case adjuster so no problem there. When you do the motor mount lift be careful when you work on the drivers side mount! If you have ac, you will have ac lines right next to the driver side motor mount. You will need to take that whole bracket out to put that new spacer in. Also, when you put the bracket back in put that cross bolt the other way so next time you won't have to take off the whole mount. Other than that man wasn't too hard of an install. Just take your time and don't rush!

·
Registered
910 Posts
^^All good advice. I did not need the spring compressor, and I did not remove the motor mounts.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You don't need a strut compressor to remove springs in a TJ. Read the PDF file in post #2. It's very easy to remove and replace springs. The Jeep in the PDF has 4" lifted springs. The secret is doing things in the right order.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I'm calling it quits after about 4 hours. Body lift went on perfectly, t-case captive nut/bolts came out no problem and t-case shifter will go into 4-low. The steering spacer block was/is a major PITA, as is the MML... Looking forward to suspension. Zone instructions/labeling are aweful... Most stuff is self explanatory, except the steering spacer, there's a random extra nut and bolt? Also broke a super brittle cruise control vacuum line trying to do steering... When that broke I knew it was time to turn in for the night

1 - 20 of 33 Posts