Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on my LJ. My jeep has 140lbs of bumper and winch out front. Jeep also has a relatively new 2" shock and coil lift and brand new 285/70/17's. I have 3" clearance from top of tire to lowest part of the plastic fender up front and 5 1/2" clearance on the back. So it seems that my jeep needs leveling of some sort. So I guess my question is do I raise the front or drop the rear?

Should I add 1" spacers up front?
Is 140 lbs up front excessive for a jeep?
Maybe I should add an equally heavy rear bumper.
Adding 200lbs to the back dropped the back end by 1/2".
Attached pic is with 200lbs added to back.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
If its driving fine, I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you wanna level it out for looks then I'd try some coil spacers up front or better yet buy some coils springs with a higher spring rate that will handle the load better. Good lookin LJ though.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
spacers won't fix the problem.

yes they add height, but thats only at ride height, while its sitting there in your driveway. they don't fix the root of your problem - which is weight.

you need new springs with a higher spring rate and/or spring length. you need to take the weight off, measure your spring height, then ask the manufacturer of your springs what their spring rate and unloaded spring length is. then do you a little math and figure out how much adding 140lbs of stuff changes the required spring rate. then you go source the springs with the spring rate that fits your needs. thats exactly what i did...i changed springs, and removed a leveling spacer, and got my jeep to sit more level with adding weight to the front...all pretty easily. whole write-up on it in my build thread over on JF....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts