Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

We have been thinking about buying a JKU for the last few months and have considered everything from new to used, financing vs leasing etc. Have driven several vehicles and even tried to pull the trigger on a used '15 Sport but it didn't work out.

I've done quite a bit of research on here and am a former Jeep owner ('95 YJ MT Rio Grande Edition... loved that Jeep!) so I'm pretty familiar with the differences and debates over the differences in engines, options, interior upgrades etc that have taken place over all the JK / JKU model years and mostly have been leaning towards something 2013 or newer.

But then...
We stumbled upon a 2009 JKU Rubicon 6MT with only 3,500mi. No that's not a misprint. 3,500mi. Carfax is spotless and the Jeep looks brand new. It has everything: tow hitch, dual top group, etc. etc. It's at a reputable dealer and they provide a 5 year / 100Kmi powertrain warranty on their used vehicles.

So I'm posting here to get some real world feedback from the experts.
Does the low mileage, excellent "like new" condition, and the fact that it's a Rubicon make the 09' purchase worth it over a brand new Sport? The price difference is about 4 or 5 grand.

What would all of you current owners who have the benefit of actual ownership experience do if you were in my shoes?

Any input / advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I really believe the 3.6 is that much better than the 3.8. If it's priced competitively with other '09 rubicons go for it, but super low mileage isn't that huge of a deal to me on an 8 year old Jeep.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
How much are they asking? Yes a rubicon is nice, but for a 8 year old jeep to only be 4-5k less than a brand new one(I know sport vs rubi) I would go for the newer one. You can always add a locker to the new one. Also food for thought a super low miles jeep can have issue from not being used.. things such as hoses, bushing can dry out, etc..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

They want $26,900. Blue book is $29K
(Hoping I can talk them down to at least $26.)
The average price (with some discounts) that we've seen for a '17 Sport 6MT (well equipped with a hard top only) around here is about $32K so I guess that makes it more of a $6K difference.

The main advantage with the '09 is that we wouldn't then have to spend money on a hitch or soft top down the road since it already has those things. But in the bigger picture I'm not sure that really matters that much.

I agree that there's some concern to be had with a vehicle that's hardly been driven.

Thanks for the input.
Keep it coming!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I have a 09 two door and she has a 15 four door and there have not been many times I wished I had the 3.6 mine. You can't buy miles....

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
for 27k -30K you should be able to find newer rubicons 2012/2013 with under 48k mile if you expand your search area.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. I have a 09 two door and she has a 15 four door and there have not been many times I wished I had the 3.6 mine. You can't buy miles....
The two door 3.8s are more tolerable than the four door 3.8s. Find out how much that Jeep would be worth with 50,000 miles on the clock and see if the low mileage retail vehicle premium is worth it to you. My brand new JKUR in 2014 with 0 miles and every option was bought for 38,000 from 42,000 MSRP.

·
Registered
134 Posts
3 months ago, I purchased an 09 2 door Rubicon that had some mods already installed. It had 19k miles and got it for $24k with no warranty. The condition was superb.

Mods included:
Fab fours front bumper, smitty bilt rear bumper with tire carrier, 3 inch Rubicon express lift, pro comp 17 wheels, toyo 35s, off road Hella lights.

Other jeeps I was looking at were 5-6 years newer but had 4x the mileage and were the same price.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Just my opinion

Since the Rubicon costs, and therefor resells for thousands more, it makes comparing them to much newer non-Rubicon models, more difficult. I did the same thing two years ago, when I bought my 2009 Rubicon with 48k miles on it.
I went with what I thought was a better fit, I wanted the more capable Rubicon, lower miles, and keeping debt down was a plus too.
Only you can decide if the Rubicon options are worth more to you, than the newer engine/transmission.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Just my opinion

Since the Rubicon costs, and therefor resells for thousands more, it makes comparing them to much newer non-Rubicon models, more difficult. I did the same thing two years ago, when I bought my 2009 Rubicon with 48k miles on it.
I went with what I thought was a better fit, I wanted the more capable Rubicon, lower miles, and keeping debt down was a plus too.
Only you can decide if the Rubicon options are worth more to you, than the newer engine/transmission.
Same here. I wanted the Rubicon options more than the 3.6 so I found one two years ago with 53k. I have 110k on it now and I am very happy with it. IMO it doesn't matter what engine you have when you are crawling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Drive a 2017 jk, see what you think. The newer ones are real nice. Hitch on a new jk=500 bucks. You can get a soft top fairly cheap too depending on what you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input, everyone.
It's definitely helpful.

I've driven a 15 sport MT pretty extensively (a friend has one) and I assume the 16's and 17's feel pretty much the same. I have only driven models with the older engine a few times...

Will be curious to see if I notice any difference when test driving the '09.

Will post back on here if / when we make a final decision.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to thank you all again for the input.

After several months of looking we picked up a 2017 Sport on Friday.
I'll post more in a different thread in the next few days but just wanted to quickly follow up and say thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts