Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Wrangler world and am trying to spec out a new Sport Unltd. Can anyone tell me what they recommend for backup cameras? Is the only way to install it yourself after purchase? If so, any recommended system? I did do a forum search but couldn't quite find the answer to this. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's no factory option for a backup camera so you have to after market.

Obviously you need to have a head unit that works with a camera so you'll have to decide between upgrading to the 430 radio from factory or go aftermarket with it as well.

A popular unit hear is the pioneer nex4200 if you want to compare. The upside of the pioneer is that it's the same price as the factory unit, but it has more features (car play, Android auto). Of course then you have install price if you dont do it yourself.

When it comes to the cameras themselves you've got to decide where you want to install it. There's some that mount to the rear bumper and there's some that mount to the spare tire. I'm not really that familiar with any bumper mounted cameras because I knew I wanted one that mounted to the tire so the 2 I looked at were the alpine hce-tcam1-wra and the brandmotion 9002-8847.

I ended up going with the brandmotion because the bracket is adjustable for tire size and I can still use a spare tire bike/ski mount. It is really expensive though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
I did a write-up a while back and built my own camera bracket. I got a cheap camera and a rear view mirror with a built in LCD screen.

I had a base head unit and didn't want to spend a lot for one with a screen, so this was very cost effective solution. Total cost was about $150.

Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera Bracket - Tam's DIY Projects

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've been bitting my lip on saying something about this. But you'll just have to wait and see what we're cooking up. Nothing home made and the company I've been speaking with has had this product out for other cars & trucks just not the wrangler. So I've urged them to work something up. They agreed and we should get this set up soon after we have the wrangler delivered in 6-8 weeks. We're very pleased this company has taken our advice to create this setup for the wrangler and it's never been tested on a wrangler according to the company. So hang in there and we should have something to show for this very soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no factory option for a backup camera so you have to after market.

Obviously you need to have a head unit that works with a camera so you'll have to decide between upgrading to the 430 radio from factory or go aftermarket with it as well.

A popular unit hear is the pioneer nex4200 if you want to compare. The upside of the pioneer is that it's the same price as the factory unit, but it has more features (car play, Android auto). Of course then you have install price if you dont do it yourself.

When it comes to the cameras themselves you've got to decide where you want to install it. There's some that mount to the rear bumper and there's some that mount to the spare tire. I'm not really that familiar with any bumper mounted cameras because I knew I wanted one that mounted to the tire so the 2 I looked at were the alpine hce-tcam1-wra and the brandmotion 9002-8847.

I ended up going with the brandmotion because the bracket is adjustable for tire size and I can still use a spare tire bike/ski mount. It is really expensive though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks Centerpeel! So I was thinking of upgrading the whole sound system with the Premium Sound and Leather option- because I wanted the better sound system, and because I thought the leather seats might have better lumbar support (I'm investigating this supposition...) so that would give me the Alpine system instead of the 430 radio. I guess I need to research the difference between the pioneer you mention and that system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a write-up a while back and built my own camera bracket. I got a cheap camera and a rear view mirror with a built in LCD screen.

I had a base head unit and didn't want to spend a lot for one with a screen, so this was very cost effective solution. Total cost was about $150.

Jeep Wrangler Backup Camera Bracket - Tam's DIY Projects
I'll be honest, I'm fantasising that you live in LA and can be persuaded to be paid to do all of this for me :)

Amazing job! I know you lay it all out in your DIY blog- but dang. I would have no ability to build that metal plate. Great solution though!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I realize what we're working on could interest several persons and give yet another options as to mounting a back up camera on the 2017 wrangler or older.. The set up does not use custom brackets to some degree but does mount very differently than most homemade setups. I can't say what we have plan, will suit everyone but could be just another option for those looking for a simple fix as to adding a back up camera.

Thx for the likes above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts