Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I installed 35 Baja MTZs on 2.5 Teraflex Budget Boost, with 5100 Bilstein Shocks… would I need to do any other mods to compensate for the 35 inch tire?

33s look small on the 4 door JKUs but I have heard that 35s can cause I lot of problems later on.

I have a 2014 JKU Automatic w/ 4.10 Gears.

Would I need to Regear, at Cool Air Intake w/ 35 Baja MTZs…Are there better tires out there that wouldn't cause $ for later mods because of the stress of a 35" tire? Is being an automatic vice manual a concern for bigger tires?

I looked online and it said 35 Bajas are truly 34.6. I just don't want this mod to be a gas guzzling money pit… I have bought the BB, and am buying 5100 shocks and 17" wheels.

Anyone have this setup? whats gas mileage like? This will be my DD but also used for travel.

Are there better smaller tires out there that look good? I heard KM2s measure around 34 inches and are highly recommended but I did read they have a tendency to hydroplane in the rain...

Thanks for all the help! All recommendations are appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are a few pics of my wife's new 285/75 r16 Micky baja mtz's. I have not done a lift yet, but love the tires. These are the biggest I wanted to go with. They actually measure 33.11", I do not have any pics of the jeep after putting all the center caps on and cleaning the white letters. I did cut the bumper and put on stubby's and had to do a little trim work on the plastic trim under the bumper.
They ride awesome, not much road noise either. $220 each at tirebuyer.com delivered.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are a few pics of my wife's new 285/75 r16 Micky baja mtz's. I have not done a lift yet, but love the tires. These are the biggest I wanted to go with. They actually measure 33.11", I do not have any pics of the jeep after putting all the center caps on and cleaning the white letters. I did cut the bumper and put on stubby's and had to do a little trim work on the plastic trim under the bumper.
They ride awesome, not much road noise either. $220 each at tirebuyer.com delivered.
Thanks for the reply, man those pics look great on that jeep.

I was looking at the Bajas originally and was thinking of getting those with no lift. After looking around this week, I think I am going to go with the 315 Duratracs since they are a lighter tire and measure a little over 34. I have TF Budget Boost and will get the 5100 shocks with it.

Thanks for posting the pics, I really like the looks of that jeep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On my '13 JKUR I recently went with the 35" MTZs and have the 4.10 gears with the manual tranny. I don't plan to regear just yet. It made 1st and 2nd gear more usable around town, but I lost acceleration in 6th. Not a big deal as I would expect to downshift to accelerate on the highway. It still cruises great at 70-75mph.

I lost a little more than 1 mpg. Typically getting 16.5 mpg, with an even split of hwy/city.

My lift is the 3.5" rock krawler x-factor, with fox shocks. I think 2.5" would be fine. I couldn't decide. I gusseted the C's---cheap insurance.

Attachments

·
Registered
929 Posts
When I brought my JKU home that was my big decision 33's or 35's I installed a teraflex 2.5 lift kit no shocks yet....

and I ultimately decided on 33's because of the highway driving that we do....I hear the bfg at tires last like 60k-80k I plan to replace those with some 35's bfg crawlers

those baja's are pretty nice wouldnt mind getting those..you will probably need to regear manual transmission does help.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my '13 JKUR I recently went with the 35" MTZs and have the 4.10 gears with the manual tranny. I don't plan to regear just yet. It made 1st and 2nd gear more usable around town, but I lost acceleration in 6th. Not a big deal as I would expect to downshift to accelerate on the highway. It still cruises great at 70-75mph.

I lost a little more than 1 mpg. Typically getting 16.5 mpg, with an even split of hwy/city.

My lift is the 3.5" rock krawler x-factor, with fox shocks. I think 2.5" would be fine. I couldn't decide. I gusseted the C's---cheap insurance.
Wow, this is a nice set up.

thanks for the reply, I am deciding between the 35 Baja and the 315 Duratrac.

I like what you have done with your jeep, it looks really good.

I have been searching throughout for a month for my mods, decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought mine in Dec 2012 and started making decisions months before I had it and kept changing my mind up until the day I finally placed the order for the tires, wheels and lift in Feb '14. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I grew up in Arizona wheeling a CJ-7. I bought this thinking I'd be on the trails all the time and was trying to build it for that purpose. However, I recently moved to Missouri and haven't found too many places to go without having to plan far in advance. If this stays on the blacktop as a daily driver I think the smaller tires and lower lift would have been a better choice for me.

Here's another pic right after everything was done.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts