Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if the 2.5l can handle the beach? Love the Outer Banks area but lots of loose sand. Can the 2.5 do it or do I need the 4.0 Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Just got back from OBX. My Son has a 2.5/MT and he did just fine. Key IS ....airing down is a MUST. 4H - Keep momentum and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
And ... if you do get stuck stop spinning the tires immediately. That will just dig you in further. And turn off traction control if you have it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I made it out on the outer banks with my old 2.4l I4 TJ back on 05/06. I aired down some times and others, I didn't. Depends on the sand.

As mentioned - key is to keep your momentum.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Each beach sand is different. If you run a wider tire, you may not need to air down. However, as mentioned if you start spinning, stop before digging 4 holes. Then air down. If you are worried about HP with the 2.4, low range is your friend.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
make sure you bring enough beers for all of the ladies who come over in their bikinis to tell you how awesome your Jeep is (and flaunt their stuff). that should be your only concern...that you have enough beers for everyone

·
Registered
801 Posts
Just got back from the OBX. You should be fine, just air down and don't stop on the entry/exit ramps. That is a fairly common place to get stuck.

Oh, and don't drive on the dunes!!!! I see it happen way too often

·
Registered
178 Posts
Each beach sand is different. If you run a wider tire, you may not need to air down. However, as mentioned if you start spinning, stop before digging 4 holes. Then air down. If you are worried about HP with the 2.4, low range is your friend.
Good advice At The Jetty.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Airing down is probably the best advice. My 2003 Subaru outback was a beast at OBX but I could still do it with the tires at standard psi. My friend brought a Jeep and didn't air down. He was making it through but the engine was getting pretty hot until he aired down. Lastly, don't drive really close to the water. There are these things called gravel pits that'll open up if something heavy goes over them. Ask the locals, they can explain it better.

I've seen a few Jeeps stuck before but as long as you're smart, you'll be fine. Enjoy the trip when you go!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Just curious if the 2.5l can handle the beach? Love the Outer Banks area but lots of loose sand. Can the 2.5 do it or do I need the 4.0 Thanks

Am I the only one who clicked on this link to find out if the OP did a 2.5 liter conversion on his JK? Crate motor perhaps?

Seriously, like other said - tire pressure, momentum and being smart go a long way. I recently saw an F150 buried to the bumpers on another beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts