Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1997 4.0 with 90k on it. Going to be driving about an hour to look at it. I never owned a wrangler (always wanted one) and need to know some things to look for. I'm not a mechanic and don't know a whole lot about engines beyond the basics. Can anyone give me some red flags to look for or common problems I should look for. The asking price is $5500.00 which seems reasonable for a 4.0. The pictures show some slight rust on the bumpers but I see that on wranglers a lot here in PA. Also what does a new soft top run on average these days?

·
Registered
17 Posts
tomass79 said:
I'm looking at a 1997 4.0 with 90k on it. Going to be driving about an hour to look at it. I never owned a wrangler (always wanted one) and need to know some things to look for. I'm not a mechanic and don't know a whole lot about engines beyond the basics. Can anyone give me some red flags to look for or common problems I should look for. The asking price is $5500.00 which seems reasonable for a 4.0. The pictures show some slight rust on the bumpers but I see that on wranglers a lot here in PA. Also what does a new soft top run on average these days?
Doesn't sound bad. Is the seller the original owner? And you get a new soft top on eBay for $275. My dad just bought one for his 98.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats the best way to look for a solid frame? I can only see so much crawling underneath. There's always some rust under older vehicles up north. I don't know what's considered bad and what is normal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
tomass79 said:
whats the best way to look for a solid frame? I can only see so much crawling underneath. There's always some rust under older vehicles up north. I don't know what's considered bad and what is normal.
I'm sure there'll be some surface rust and that's fine. Look closely around where the control arm mounts to the frame. You should be able to tell wether or not it's solid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it for a ride last night. Didn't see anything wrong with it. It was in nicer shape than I was expecting. Frame looked good underneath, nothing smelled hot in the engine, shifted well, 4x4 engaged fine. It's raining a lot here in PA from the storm and it was dry inside. I offered him 5k cash and he took it. Picking it up on Friday. Can't wait. Gonnna be a long winter waiting to get the top off.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the TJ addiction! :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts