Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my name is Andrew and I am looking to buy my first Jeep. I am not in a big rush and won't need one until summer to drive to my job which I am working on getting. I am looking for one in the 4-6k price range and am considering a yj or tj with a 6 cyl. and manual. I know a tj will be a little more expensive but I think it may be worth it. I have been checking craigslist and am trying to get an idea of what is a good price for what I am looking for. A hardtop would also be nice because I wouldn't want a bunch of snow piled on the soft top. Here is a link to an ad I saw 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Frame rust is a big issue on YJ & TJ-era Wranglers (the only two generations I'm familiar with), so you need to go over that very carefully when you're down in this price range. I'd be concerned about the check engine light and the paint cracking on the hood.

I'm not suggesting a $6K Wrangler should look like new, but I'd like to know why the paint is cracking. Look very carefully to see if the Wrangler has had front end collision damage. Poor body prep during a repair could explain the cracking.

The CEL may be easily fixable but I'm guessing it's not or it would have been. This could potentially run into money and, as-is, the Jeep would not be able pass inspection in many states. You'll need to figure out if it could pass in yours.

The mileage isn't stated in the ad. Do you know how many miles are on this one?

Personally, I think there are better Jeeps out there for similar or slightly more money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I will probably keep looking because I have seen nicer ones but the ones I have contacted the sellers about have all sold before I could go see them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
First of all if your not buying now don't even waste your time looking,prices are going to jump up in summer,next if someone won't fix a check engine light what else are they not fixing

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
Unless you get lucky, a 4-6K TJ could either have a lot of miles or require many repairs. This is all good if you will have leftover funds for repairs....which as we all know can run into the thousands. That is why you will find many in good shape, average mileage TJ's in the 12-15K range.

Just guessing, but if your overall budget included funding for repairs, and is closer to 10K, just keep saving and go for an LJ...Good luck finding your Jeep!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll keep looking but although i don't need the jeep till summer if I can find a good deal now I wouldn't pass it up. Would you recommend a YJ instead for my price range.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Frame rust is a big concern like others have said and it is even worse if you are in an area where they use road salt or near the ocean.

I just bought an 03 TJ 4.0 manual with like 112K on it that has a clean frame and was never wheeled. The owner maintained it and it runs excellent. It took me about 3 months and 100's of Jeeps online and then about 10 in person to find this one. I paid $7500 and it has a small spot of rust on the rocker and the seats are worn.

Don't rush into anything and look it over very well before you buy.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Frame rust is a big concern like others have said and it is even worse if you are in an area where they use road salt or near the ocean.

I just bought an 03 TJ 4.0 manual with like 112K on it that has a clean frame and was never wheeled. The owner maintained it and it runs excellent. It took me about 3 months and 100's of Jeeps online and then about 10 in person to find this one. I paid $7500 and it has a small spot of rust on the rocker and the seats are worn.

Don't rush into anything and look it over very well before you buy.
You got a steal

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll keep looking but although i don't need the jeep till summer if I can find a good deal now I wouldn't pass it up. Would you recommend a YJ instead for my price range.
Regardless of YJ, TJ or LJ, you are currently right in the middle of what is typically the lowest price period (winter) - at least from my research. Come Spring and into Summer you'll see a pretty substantial price jump. What you may find for $6k now might be closer to $8k by late Spring/early Summer. I used this timing last year when I bought my LJ (in early Feb) and sold my TJ (in late March). I *DID* look at selling the TJ at the same time I bought the LJ but there was close to a $2500 difference between what I would've gotten for it in Feb. and what I ended up getting in March.

My point is not so much to have you rush and settle on something now but more to encourage you to really look to see what's out there. It could end up saving you quite a bit of money.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Frame rust, cylinder head crack in the 2000 and 2001s (I believe), look for stock, look for the Dana 44 rear if you plan on 33s or larger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Death wobble can be an issue. My TJ started overheating because the water pump was worn out and I had to replace it so I'd recommend trying to get the engine hot and see what happens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts