Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Food for thought. JKs have Electronic Stability Control, which basically saves the lives of teenagers everyday. TJs and older do not have this feature so fish tailing and loss of control are far more common. IMHO if you are putting a teenager behind the wheel of a TJ or earlier, then on a rainy day you need to take them to an open parking look and show them how control can be lost on turns and fast accelerations. A JK's ESC will shut down the wheel spin, but older jeeps tend to go 360 in the blink of an eye. It is important that your young driver knows what the envelope is and that they can't expect to take turns quickly. They should not discover this on their own. I got so damn lucky as a Teenager that I didn't die when I took a turn too sharp with a CJ. I lost control and the jeep ended up stopping right next to a cliff. A few feet over and I would have been done for.
Exactly, great additional information on the JK's that is something I had looked at also. So for my daughter, she may have to go with a "older JK" due to some added safety features.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Exactly, great additional information on the JK's that is something I had looked at also. So for my daughter, she may have to go with a "older JK" due to some added safety features.
Or you could go JL and give her one of your JKs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Safety for your kids? Imagine that... joking. My kids are getting as much safety stuff as I can afford when they start driving. Also, hopefully, the insurance might be cheaper for them. My one son asked about using my YJ when he's driving. No chance. I'd never live down if he got hurt while driving that. Thing would crumple like a soda can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Safety for your kids? Imagine that... joking. My kids are getting as much safety stuff as I can afford when they start driving. Also, hopefully, the insurance might be cheaper for them. My one son asked about using my YJ when he's driving. No chance. I'd never live down if he got hurt while driving that. Thing would crumple like a soda can.
I swapped my YJ for a JKU for the same reasons (well and five seatbelts), but I've seen a lot of pictures like this one––could just be survivorship bias, but I think being higher up + less plastic helps. Then again, in the YJ I was also surrounded by labels that said "THESE DOORS AREN'T REALLY DOORS, YOU'LL PROBABLY DIE" lol

21 - 25 of 25 Posts