Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Too hard to get before Race Wars.
A longshoreman called me with a tip, a truck leaving San Pedro just left with a shipment of them. Let's meet up behind the old water tower so we can drive hundreds of miles out of our way and destroy cars valued at three times the cost of buying one outright so we can hijack the truck.

·
Super Moderator
16,619 Posts
A longshoreman called me with a tip, a truck leaving San Pedro just left with a shipment of them. Let's meet up behind the old water tower so we can drive hundreds of miles out of our way and destroy cars valued at three times the cost of buying one outright so we can hijack the truck.
:thumb:

:lmao:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get new shocks!!! The stock shocks suck and I found cause the Jeep to get severely unsettled in turns. I replaced them with Rancho 9000s and tuned them to my liking. It corners like it is on rails now. With the rebate going on now this was the best $250 I've spent on the jeep so far.

I expect this will also help me off road.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like a typical Saturday night!

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
First ever Jeep- Have a 2015 wrangler manual transmission - I notice the downshift /decel-acceleration pattern that used to work with my VW GTI/Saab stick shifts does not translate with the Jeep - what is approach to curve handling at highway speeds with a manual transmission so I don't feel like I have lost contact with road?
When you say "contact".. does that mean the two inside tires losing contact? .. as in, ready to tip over?

If you wish to enter and exit the apex quicker and unscathed, heel-n-toe that puppy and make sure you keep all four corners on the road.

Otherwise I recommend wearing your crash helmet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think he means left-foot-braking... H&T should happen before the corner to set up the transmission... unless you WANT to totally unsettle the vehicle :)

I can't believe we're having this discussion about a Jeep... I think your best to go with copious Kanji... definitely improves handling!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
When you say "contact".. does that mean the two inside tires losing contact? .. as in, ready to tip over?

If you wish to enter and exit the apex quicker and unscathed, heel-n-toe that puppy and make sure you keep all four corners on the road.

Otherwise I recommend wearing your crash helmet.

exactly, I want to learn how to "handle" the jeep on curves...still feel like it is a runaway horse...not quite sure what she will do as she enters or exit..I heel toe like I used to my GTI but it feels rather scary - I guess am not used to the short wheel base...in that case, am wondering what the best maneuver is...down-shifting may aggravate the problem...it is a mystery!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Depends if you want understeer or oversteer. Pretty much every car on the road these days is set up to understeer, the Saab like a pig but the GTI much less. The JK is gonna understeer like a mofo, it's a function of physics and suspension set up.

Assuming you are balanced entering the corner you should be in the right gear to hit the apex on your power curve. For a tad more oversteer brake a little harder than you might otherwise and transfer more weight to compress the front suspension, then drive on the throttle: more will push you into understeer, less into oversteer. Lift off too quickly and you will be introduced to 'lift-off oversteer' and the scenery.

The Jeep of course wasn't designed to oversteer and a SWB vehicle will behave badly in such circumstances, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, you just need to be quick and (preferably) not on a public road when you go exploring. Remote, damp traffic circles at dead of night are a reasonable place to explore handling. I say damp because you want your rubber to lose traction before your doorhandles touch the blacktop.

Contrary to popular belief, you drive a vehicle near the limit on the throttle not with the steering wheel.

This is however a bizarre conversation because the vehicle was designed to excel OFF the road... not on! I've completely changed my driving style for the JK and do believe it has made me a better/slower person!
Love this input! Exactly what I was looking for...now I need to practice what you just wrote...I am indeed changing my driving style...but am no where near as comfortable as I was driving regular cars...I feel much more atuned to the road and that is the fun part...but also a little exhausting...hopefully it will get easier...thanks for the helpful tips!

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
exactly, I want to learn how to "handle" the jeep on curves...still feel like it is a runaway horse...not quite sure what she will do as she enters or exit..I heel toe like I used to my GTI but it feels rather scary - I guess am not used to the short wheel base...in that case, am wondering what the best maneuver is...down-shifting may aggravate the problem...it is a mystery!
The technique that is taught at the British School of Motor Racing is to use neutral throttle through the apex.. your exit speed is what matters, not the speed you enter the apex. You can still use the same techniques in your Jeep ... brake, downshift, set the suspension and clip the apex at the right point to straighten your line through the next corner..

The fast lines used in road racing are very similar to slalom ski racing... you need to anticipate the race course and straighten your lines.. assure you don't scrub speed by entering the apex too early or late, too fast or slow..

The higher center of gravity is more an issue than the wheelbase..

The Archer Brothers made SCCA road racing history driving Jeeps with the same basic suspension you have under your Wrangler.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
It's hard to believe how much interest a tippy heavy box with massive tire stiction and relatively low power/low speed design focus would generate so much interest in trying to make it go fast in unfavorable circumstances for doing such.

Sure, I'm stuck in the geezer lane...and the sportycar tricks from long ago seem just awkward as applied to JK dynamics.
YMMV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The principles are the same as with any other RWD vehicle: you decelerate before entering the curve, and you gently accelerate as you enter.

Unlike a FWD or front-biased AWD, RWD will help actually help you turn when you gradually press on the gas IN the curve. It will seem counterintuitive at first coming from a FWD car, but eventually you get the hang of it.

My first four Wranglers were all stick shifts: they can be surprisingly fun to drive on twisty roads, especially with the stiffer Rubicon suspension.

Good luck and be safe,

Aldo
...it is indeed becoming more fun to drive...as someone told me a few days ago "Just stay loose and you will be fine" thanks much!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Its a 4x4 NOT a race car !! OH BOY !! The kids today have no clue

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,781 Posts
Its a 4x4 NOT a race car !! OH BOY !! The kids today have no clue
ITS ALIVE! ITS ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

since this thread has been resurrected ill voice my strategy ....i handle curves using the full frontal both hands approach....

Reactions: hookuspookus
21 - 40 of 44 Posts