Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler, I am not all that impressed with the head lights. They seem dim or like they don't illuminate very far away. Does anyone have any information about this? Has anyone changed out their lights? If so what did you change to and is there any specifics I need to know before I try to find better lights? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I replaced the headlights on my '10 with a kit from Daniel Stern a month ago. The difference is incredible and immediately (even in the daylight) noticeable.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
I replaced the headlights on my '10 with a kit from Daniel Stern a month ago. The difference is incredible and immediately (even in the daylight) noticeable.
What did the DS kit include and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? I was considering a Delta H4 conversion, but I'm hearing nothing but raving reviews of the DS stuff.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
J_Westy said:
I was hoping you could answer a question for me about the rallylights kit. I notice it says that it comes with a plug and play harness. Is this a harness with relays and heavier wire to feed the new lights? I have been planning on doing my own harness and just getting the new lamps. At that price if a harness is included that does what I was after then I'm just gonna go with that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What did the DS kit include and what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? I was considering a Delta H4 conversion, but I'm hearing nothing but raving reviews of the DS stuff.
The kit included the two replacement headlights and H4 bulbs as well as a complete wiring kit that was ready to be installed. If you go to the DS website Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply you can also find less complete kits allowing you to assemble the wiring harness, yourself. I did not have the time for that option, unfortunately.

As for the cost, I haven't received the bill yet, but it won't be cheap!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I was hoping you could answer a question for me about the rallylights kit. I notice it says that it comes with a plug and play harness. Is this a harness with relays and heavier wire to feed the new lights?
Yes.
All pre-terminated, milspec tight, perfect JK length, ready to install.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was hoping you could answer a question for me about the rallylights kit. I notice it says that it comes with a plug and play harness. Is this a harness with relays and heavier wire to feed the new lights?
Yes, it sure is.

- Low beam and High beam relays
- Trigger wire and connector that plugs into the OEM right-side H13 connector
- Left side wire with H4 connector
- Right side wire with H4 connector
- Ground wire with a ring terminal to connect to the battery clamp lug
- Power wire with a fuse and a ring terminal to connect to the battery clamp lug

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, it sure is.

- Power wire with a fuse and a ring terminal to connect to the battery clamp lug
Dumb Question: does it include installation instructions for non-electrician types like me? :crash:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hilldweller said:
Yes.
All pre-terminated, milspec tight, perfect JK length, ready to install.
Thank you sir. For me the wiring is dead simple but sourcing the parts to do a clean install was not going well. Every decently designed relay/fuse block I could find had at least twice the circuits I needed. I have an spod for all the other accessories. Just wanted to run two extra relays separate from that as to not waste any circuits in the spod due to an existing trigger/switch. This harness will be a one shot deal. Perfect.

That brings up another question. With that kit you can upgrade bulbs. If you could pick one bulb that has a good balance of useable light output and life what would you lean towards?

·
Registered
543 Posts
J_Westy said:
Yes, it sure is.

Thanks for the breakdown. I always like to hear specs. This mod is moving to next on the list.

·
Registered
543 Posts
duker51 said:
Dumb Question: does it include installation instructions for non-electrician types like me? :crash:
I don't know if it does because I have not dropped the order yet. I am willing to bet it does. It should be a really straight forward hookup. I am a former electrician but I could have done this before training. The relays would be the most difficult but they come prewired. If you don't get instructions pm me and I will walk you through it if you have troubles.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That brings up another question. With that kit you can upgrade bulbs. If you could pick one bulb that has a good balance of useable light output and life what would you lean towards?
I think they only credit about $7 for the regular bulbs, so I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to the Hella / Optilux bulbs, but I have no real complaints about the upgrade I did other than the blinginess of the blue tint.

I'll bet a Coke that HD will recommend the Philips +80's as I linked to above.

Regardless, it's worth a call to Susquehanna to make your order instead of doing it online just for their spiel on bulb selection -- good guys to talk to.

·
Registered
543 Posts
J_Westy said:
I think they only credit about $7 for the regular bulbs, so I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to the Hella / Optilux bulbs, but I have no real complaints about the upgrade I did other than the blinginess of the blue tint.

I'll bet a Coke that HD will recommend the Philips +80's as I linked to above.

Regardless, it's worth a call to Susquehanna to make your order instead of doing it online just for their spiel on bulb selection -- good guys to talk to.
I'll take that bet. I don't think he has installed those yet. I have been patiently waiting for him to share his thoughts on that bulb. What I absolutely don't want is blue.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I'll take that bet. I don't think he has installed those yet.
I put them in last night but it was raining. If it stays clear tonight I'll go out and play around with them.

They have a tiny blue ring on the top of them, away from the hot spot of the bulb ---- just to provide a bit of visual bling. I shudder when I think that manufacturers have to do this to sell bulbs.

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
The kit included the two replacement headlights and H4 bulbs as well as a complete wiring kit that was ready to be installed. If you go to the DS website Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply you can also find less complete kits allowing you to assemble the wiring harness, yourself. I did not have the time for that option, unfortunately.

As for the cost, I haven't received the bill yet, but it won't be cheap!
I dropped him a line about headlight upgrades and if he's heard of any upgrades for the psx24w fog light bulbs yet.

I'm sure it won't be cheap, lol. But, good stuff seldom is.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I don't know of any pop-ins to upgrade the psx24w refrigerator lights.

CandlepowerForums has an automotive section and you can find some good info there. Their most knowledgeable member recently quit the forum though; he was a former automotive lighting engineer like DS but with a crankier manner about him. I miss his posts...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts