Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I just purchased a few cans of POR-15 to put on my frame and I have some questions...

1. I know that I have to scrape off the flaky rust with a wire brush to prep the frame. Once the POR-15 is put on, do I have to paint over it with regular paint? Or should I put multiple coats on once the first coat dries?

2. I was not going to touch the good parts of the frame, but is it worth me painting over the good parts of the frame too just to put a layer of rust protection on there? I am not sure if it is worth putting POR-15 over the original black paint unless the POR-15 will seal the frame for good. What do you think?

3. My tub isn't rusty but the seams are showing a little surface rust. Similar to the question above, is it worth painting the under side of the tub to seal it from rusting? or is that a waste of paint?

thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would paint everything you can reach or afford with POR LOL!.You dont need to topcoat the POR-15 unless its exposed to the sun.I dont think its UV rated.Its great stuff.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've used POR-15 on old VWs and what I learned was that it needs a good rough surface to bond too, so scuff up any shiny paint or metal that you put it on. And as far as a second coat goes, the same thing holds true, if the first coat cures then rough scuff it before the second coat goes on, but that's hard to do as the stuff cures hard as nails, so what I did was add the second coat while the first coat was still just barely tacky; worked great for me but I'm sure others will have different opinions.

For the seams you might want to use their thicker stuff that comes in a tube and with a real small bondo spreader lay down a bead along the seams.

Good luck...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would suggest that you go to the POR-15 web site and look at the recommended process. They have a three step process of Marine Clean, Prep &l Ready and POR-15. It is a very good process if you are going to Paint Over Rust.

I am not suggesting that you need to purchase their products. A good cleaner / degreaser (Simple Green) an a Phosphoric Acid (Naval Jelly, Metal Rescue) are available from many sources.

But, the process is a very good process for neutralizing rust and sealing the surface from further oxidization.

The key step is the phosphoric acid which reacts with the rust (Iron Oxide) to convert it to Ferric Phosphate. The basic formula is:

Fe2O3 + 2(H3PO4) = 2(FePO4) + 3(H20)

If you just paint the POR-15 over the rusty metal without the proper prep ... it will not have the same result.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would suggest that you go to the POR-15 web site and look at the recommended process. They have a three step process of Marine Clean, Prep &l Ready and POR-15. It is a very good process if you are going to Paint Over Rust.

I am not suggesting that you need to purchase their products. A good cleaner / degreaser (Simple Green) an a Phosphoric Acid (Naval Jelly, Metal Rescue) are available from many sources.

But, the process is a very good process for neutralizing rust and sealing the surface from further oxidization.

The key step is the phosphoric acid which reacts with the rust (Iron Oxide) to convert it to Ferric Phosphate. The basic formula is:

If you just paint the POR-15 over the rusty metal without the proper prep ... it will not have the same result.
wow didnt know we had chemists here.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the detailed comment, haha. I mean that seriously. And thanks everyone for your help... I do have the POR-15 prep and ready, so I plan to use that after I use a generic degreaser. I called POR-15 this afternoon and the guy recommended that I just scuff up any surface that I want to paint over (just like said above). I am looking forward to cleaning up the frame and preserving it. It has a lot of surface rust that I want to stop before it gets too bad.

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I have used it for years and I can tell you that if you don't topcoat it, it will eventually turn gray from black. Direct sunlight or not, it will still do it. They make a blackcoat in a spray can now that supposed to be sweet. I never second coat it with straight POR, the first layer has always worked well for me

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Do you guys paint over every nut and bolt on the frame or do you tape them each off or what?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts