Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler that I bought to drive my 2 boys (3 & 6yrs) around and they love it. We have their car seats in the back but I am wondering if there is anything I could do to make it more safe in case of a worst case scenario (also to make the wife feel better). We live in a small town so I'm not real concerned at the moment going slow (30-40mph) down back roads with them. I dont off-road so I'm not worried about flipping but at some point I want to take them camping and that will require us to get on the highway. Should I look into get a roll cage? Do yall think a straight across rear bar would add anything? Its seems Rock Hard has some great stuff. Any advice would help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a new-old Wrangler owner as well, but can give some more general advice.

- Ensure that your brakes are in good condition and working properly. Consider replacing rubber brake hoses if they're original, as rubber hoses will degrade and begin to flex after as little as 6-10 years. Get fresh fluid in there, too.
- Get some new tires to ensure your brakes have something to work with. Have them installed by a reputable shop that knows how to properly set toe-in and alignment for a TJ.
- Check your steering & suspension systems for loose components so you can avoid death wobble, especially at highway speeds. Pay special attention to your axle-side trackbar bushing. If it occurs, you will probably immediately lose all your wife's confidence in this vehicle's safety.
- Get a car seat expert to check your seat installation. Wranglers did not have rear anchor points until 2003, so you should consider getting an expert's advice on how to best account for that.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Pay a fabricator to build a roll cage with frame tie ins. I would t bother with the bolt in roll cages available from various vendors. I have the Poison Spyder full cage in my TJ and the Rock Hard cage in my YJ. Not sure I’d rely on them to save my children during a high speed rollover. Fine for off-road though.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Your Jeep has a full steel frame, not a unibody, all steel body and bumpers, no plastic. And while the sport bar isn't a rollbar, I'd venture to guess that it's FAR stronger than the sheet metal roof on any car on the road.
If you hit any modern car short of a HUMMER, you will probably come out on top.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
For normal driving and mild wheeling on established trails and unimproved roads, spend your efforts on maintaining the vehicle... as mentioned above, brakes, tires, ball joints, steering components etc....
For very slightly more agressive wheeling with a very remote chance of flopping onto the side, helmets..... anything more than that, and I'll be unpopuler w some for this, but for extreme wheeling leave the kids at home.....

As for calming momma.... get her a magic feather....

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
By the way, don't get me wrong, I often take kids wheeling.... I'm all for it..... I just don't do anything w them that I'm not absolutely certain I can fully control no matter what happens....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wranglers did not have rear anchor points until 2003
Incorrect. The OP's 2001 Wrangler has them, as did every other 2001 Wrangler sold in America. They are in the cargo area, right by the opening for the tailgate.

We have their car seats in the back but I am wondering if there is anything I could do to make it more safe in case of a worst case scenario (also to make the wife feel better).

Do yall think a straight across rear bar would add anything?
Yes, you can add to your existing cage. There are bolt-on solutions, though I admit I am personally not a fan of those--I prefer welding in my cage additions. In my case, I added to my cage by having a local fabricator friend buy some DOM tubing, then bending it and welding it in. I then took the Jeep to a different friend and had him paint it to match the rest. You may be able to find someone near you who can do something similar.

Looking at a number of TJ crashes, the stock main hoop tends to hold up pretty well in roll overs. The rear tubes usually hold up as far as crushing downward is concerned, but they do often cave inward during side impact. This is why a rear crossbar can be of benefit. It would be even stronger if you triangulated this tube from each end to the center of the main hoop. Adding a triangulated rear cross bar will go a long ways toward keeping the kids safe in a low-to-moderate speed rollover. (Please note: if you triangulate, you will need to remove your sound bar; you could convert to the sound pods which were used in 2003+ TJs.)

I had a cross bar added at the rear corners, with two smaller bars at each end to act as gussets. It was carefully designed and positioned to fit under my OEM soft top. I did not triangulate it because I don't have a rear seat and thus never have rear passengers. You can see it here:

The biggest danger in a TJ rollover is not to the rear passengers--it is to the folks riding up front. The front bars that connect the main hoop to the windshield are very weak, and the windshield frame itself is well known for collapsing during rollover. For that reason, I removed those front bars entirely. I had my fabricator friend make new tubes from the center hoop forward toward the windshield, then they curve down. They go through the dashboard and down to the floor. He added a front crossbar, then two central connectors from the main hoop to the front crossbar. (Yes, it would be even better if those central connector bars were triangulated rather than parallel... but since I'm not a competition wheeler, I felt this would provide me with the improvement I wanted.)

You can kinda see part of my front cage mods in the above photo. Sorry, I don't have any better pictures uploaded at this moment.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
Wranglers did not have rear anchor points until 2003
Incorrect. The OP's 2001 Wrangler has them, as did every other 2001 Wrangler sold in America. They are in the cargo area, right by the opening for the tailgate.
2001 Wrangler’s did not have the LATCH anchors. They didn’t get them until 2003.

In 2001 they did have top tether anchors that are intended to be utilized by a top tether strap on a forward facing harnessed carseat, not rear facing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the advice.

I have 2 tires that could be replaced so i will definitely get that taken care of. Also, Ill get the brakes looked at. I'm glad to hear to yalls confidence in the rear tubes. I should probably look at something for the front now (after seeing the pic, lol). We always buckle up and the kids are great in their car seats.

Its a 4 banger so the fastest we can possibly go is 55 anyway �� but I just want to make it as safe a possible so there are no worries and we can all enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2002 TJ. 4.0 ltr. 5.5 RE long arm lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, Teraflex S/T disconnect,
530 Posts
By the way, don't get me wrong, I often take kids wheeling.... I'm all for it..... I just don't do anything w them that I'm not absolutely certain I can fully control no matter what happens....
X2. When I bring the grandkids, I'll hit a couple bumps and maybe splash through a small mud puddle just to get dirty. Then just park and watch other wheeler's tear it up. The kids have a great time and when we get home, they show mom and dad how muddy the jeep is because "we went jeeping with papa".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.