Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to do a 3.5" lift with 35's on my 2011 Sahara Unlimited. Other then the drive shaft clearance issue, are there any other issues I should address when I do the lift? My jeep is stock other then wheels and a steel front bumper (they were on it when I bought it). This is my daily driver, with occasional trail riding, I don't plan to do a lot of rock crawling but would like to be able to if the need comes up. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the 4x4 community, I grew up around muscle cars and rail buggies

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
2.5” is plenty for 35s even with factory fenders. Regear and brake upgrade would be useful.

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
As mentioned, unless you need the extra clearance a 2.5" lift is enough to easily run 35" tires. And as a side note, most 2.5" lifts will get you 3" or more of actual lift. A 3.5" lift will typically give you around 4" of lift.
Another thing to consider, you are often better off spending the money to do a 2.5" lift as good as possible vs taking that same amount of money and going with a lesser 3.5" lift. The difference in cost between a 2.5" and 3.5" lift is quite large. A well thought out 3.5" lift of good quality will often cost near twice what a comparable 2.5" lift will cost.
And as mentioned, you can take any money you save and spend it on re-gearing (best power upgrade you can do to a Jeep) and bigger brakes. Bigger tires take more power to spin up and more brakes to slow down.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
With 35's you don't really need anything more than 2.5 inches but if you just want height then you may want to consider a 3" suspension lift with a 1.25" body lift. Between the 2 that will give to 4.25 inches (plus another inch or so with the 35's). You'll get more height on the fenders with the body lift and you'll stay out of the insanely expensive end of higher suspension lifts and drive shaft issues

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
2.5 inch with flat fenders. With the 3.8 engine, you need all the money you can put towards regearing with 35s. And dont forget axle reinforcement (sleeve or truss and c gussets).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Like others have said stay at 2.5” lift.
Also consider a smaller tire available in C or D rating. 285/70 305/70 and 315/70

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you're going to go 3.5", get a quality lift - there's a number of them out there. Lifting 3.5" and skimping out is often a cause of regret later. I ran 2.5" on 35s for several years and it's a good setup that only really starts to come up short when you're wheeling heavy rock (think boulder field, not slickrock like at Moab). As others have said, if you save by going 2.5", regearing will change your world.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let's not forget some sort of programmer/calibration tool to reset the computer for the tire size change. Plus, if you're not going to run the stock wheels, and have TPMS, most of the programmers out there have an option to turn off that pesky TPMS light you'll get with aftermarket rims and no pressure sensors ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the 2.5" lift with 35's and regear. I do have a bullydog tuner in the jeep but my friend has a flashpaq he's willing to sell if i wanted it.

Im looking at the taraflex, aev and rockkrawler lift, any preferences one these kits?

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to go with the 2.5" lift with 35's and regear. I do have a bullydog tuner in the jeep but my friend has a flashpaq he's willing to sell if i wanted it.

Im looking at the taraflex, aev and rockkrawler lift, any preferences one these kits?
Of those 3, I like the RK Adventure series... But it has to be done with all of the appropriate add on components. Northridge does a nice combo kit. Add the Bilstein Shocks and RK bump stops and it's $1251 and a really nice build.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/suspension-package-deals/jk25as1-4kit-rock-krawler-2-5in-adventure-series-1-lift-kit-package-w-shock-options

And yes, a regear is of significant importance on the 3.8 motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of those 3, I like the RK Adventure series... But it has to be done with all of the appropriate add on components. Northridge does a nice combo kit. Add the Bilstein Shocks and RK bump stops and it's $1251 and a really nice build.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/suspension-package-deals/jk25as1-4kit-rock-krawler-2-5in-adventure-series-1-lift-kit-package-w-shock-options

And yes, a regear is of significant importance on the 3.8 motor.
What gear ratio do you recommend fo the 3.8 motor and 35's?

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
What gear ratio do you recommend fo the 3.8 motor and 35's?
With the 3.8 I would go 4.88 unless you live in the mountains... Then maybe consider 5.13's.

·
Super Moderator
14,575 Posts
I live on the Cumberland Plateau, I'm on the second highest spot between the Appalachian mountains and the Rockies...
We've run that a few times between Nashville and Knoxville... While it's higher altitude, I don't feel like I was climbing up and down mountains. I think I would still go 4.88.... But the 5.13 wouldn't be a problem either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts