Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
I used the duplicolor aerosol spray 2 years ago. It is now grey instead of black an is peeling. I did a 2 day prep job... Sanded all surfaces I was going to spray and then put primer all surfaces then roughed the primer. It wasn't a prep problem. I am pretty sure it just isn't a great product. The next time I do liner. This summer... I will use either raptor liner that I did my top with and hasn't gotten a scratch on it in the year it has been on it and about 15 wheeling trips later. Or I will do the monsta liner. My advice is do it right with the good product the first time and don't waste your time or money in the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I only used a can of rock guard (kinda like rhyno lining but made more for rocker panels) in the foot areas only since its surface rust from boot moisture.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I used Rustoleum liner in a can and it's held up good for the past year

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. mbaseel thanks for the info on the duplicolor that was one that is referenced to a bunch. i just found it hard to believe something from a can could be that great

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ive used some rustoleum in a can for the inside of the Jeep. I only had for a bought a month... no problems really so far.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I used a spray on (can) liner for the dash and it turned out absolutely horrible. Very Inconsistent, and there is a horrible mess of crumbs that fall off. Not at all a good quality. I wouldn't go for it if I were you. I regret doing what I did to my poor dash. I will be actually ROLLING it on like it should be done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did the duplicolor with Kevlar roll on liner in my tub and it has held up great! Really tough stuff and I got the kit with a gallon jug which had more than enough to do the inside. Prep is really important and putting it on nice and thick I did three coats to to inside of mine. Wouldn't recommend doing spray only but the spray is nice to hit the hard to reach areas I used less than a can on mine to hit high up in the fire wall. It's a little rough but it's got chunks on Kevlar, held up around a year and my jeep always has sand in the floor boards!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the info. i think im going to wait until this summer and just use a roll on liner and use some kind of undercoating on the places i cant roll or brush

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
not in my jeep but i sprayed the racks on my 4wheeler with plastikote and it has held up great for 2 years now,,i live on a farm and always carrying chains,chain saws, metal posts,barb wire,etc,etc,--no fadeing or chiping,,,i abuse the crap out of it--im inpressed

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've had the best luck with Rustoelum's product. A few bumpers, an air tank and some wheels. All seem to be holding up. You usually have to either hold the can sideways or upside for the best results.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know it's not aerosol, but I just did my tub in Raptor Liner and it is fantastic.
With the right prep it bonds great, hasn't scratched yet and has a good texture to it.
Also, it comes with a spray gun that hooks up to a comressor and sprays so easily a 3yr old could do it.

The kit was only $125 and well worth it.

Do the math and calculate how many cans of aerosol you will need and I am sure you will be close to this dollar amount anyway.

Good luck and remember it is ALL in the prep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
bed liner

I did both the roll on kit and spray cans from Rustolium. The roller method leaves a much rougher surface. Spray leaves a nice uniform surface. I sprayed the tight spots. I would tape everything off good. IMHO. I would spray the whole thing if I would do it again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts