Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, am wondering what the degree of difficulty is on doing this install myself... first time Jeep owner (2015 JKUHR) and don't want to end up having to take the thing into a shop to correct any issues I may have created with an improper installation... seems pretty straight forward when reading the instructions... are there any parts of the install that are difficult... also, thinking of doing the Northridge Grade 8 bolt kit at the same time, any known issued with this greatly appreciated as well... thanks in advance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re-install the front track bar last. My instructions didn't tell me when to re-install it in sequence (it does for the rear).

Getting the break line clamp to release was a pain. Had to dremmel it in slots until it was weak enough to bend with pliers.

Don't forget to straighten your steering wheel after you are done.

The extension brackets that come with the kit for the front sway bars links are kind of crappy. Encourage you to just get longer new links.

Torque everything to specs on the ground. Some are hard to get to with leverage.

Otherwise, I installed my own as well. Was the first time working on my own Jeep (i did help a little with someone else's Teraflex lift a few months earlier so i at least had an idea). An extra pair of hands is very helpful but not required. Some people can easily get it done in a day. Not this guy. It took me over a week but that was mostly just working at it some after work and when i could on the weekends. Everything i did was slow because it was basically my first time doing anything in the realm of automotive mechanics.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'd recommend getting rear links and just move the back to the front. Get a buddies help or put the word out on your local forum for some help, two people will make it go quicker and easier. If you are going to do this by yourself have a ratchet strap handy to help you move the axle back in line after removing the back track bar and to help in front. Plan on a long day if you are determined to do it without help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the feedback... think I'll try to recruit some help... will get the geo brackets as well... any thoughts on whether my 3.73 gears would be able to handle Duratrac 315/70/17 tires... Goodyear lists these at 34.4... would I be better off going with the 285/70/17 tires with this gearing... I do like the look of the 35's over 33's with this lift, but won't take a hit on performance for looks... thanks again.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have a coworker that runs that setup and he's fine with it. Naturally with the smaller wheels you will take a smaller performance hit. I vote just go with the 35s. I believe if you could spring for the lift and tires you can always spring for a regearing down the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a link to my notes from my AEV 2.5" install. in the comments is another link to some more notes. It is not all that hard but there are a couple spots where having an extra set of hands really helps. Also, the 3.73 with 315/70/17s make for a great daily driver and easy highway cruising.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/notes-from-my-aev-2-5-install-582641.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts