Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of research i chose the AEV kit. I wanted to share with the community the before and after dimensions as that was one of the key things I always wondered: how much lift will I get in a 2dr with stock bumpers and 14/56 coils?

I wanted 2.5-3" lift. I ended up with 3 3/8" and the AEV shop technician told me it will probably settle around 3".

I researched a ton here, at the AEV forum and the Jeep forum. based on my research and personal situation and use of the car my final build list was:

1. AEV 2.5" dualsport lift
  2. Geocorrection brackets
  3. Teraflex forged adjustable front bar
  4. Teraflex steering stabilizer
  5. Bilstein 5100 (come with the AEV kit)
I am very happy I took my time to do the research, learn how lift works, learn about the geometry of the car, and had my smartphone with me. Even at the best shop, something can always go not as planned. After picking up the car and doing a test drive I noticed heavy wobble at just 40 mph and also noticed the traction control going off. I remembered reading many times that the cause was likely the track-bar not adjusted properly (wobble) and the steering not been dead center (traction control going off).

We realized we forgot to properly torque the front bar, so we fixed it and after further correction to the steering and using the aev procal for dead center, the car rides great.

Way better handling than stock, but hey I had the 14/56 coils! much better highway handling, cornering, and great for DD. In a short backroad test (which represents my type of off-roading: expedition, the handling was great, better than stock for sure. I also got rid of the nasty nose dive.

One question I had was whether the 285/70/17 duratracs were going to look too small. They look great and are perfect for the way I use the car and for the 3.73 I have. I have a rubi 2016 HR coming home in 3 weeks and even though it comes with a 4.1 I think i will go for the 285 again instead of the 315. with the light weight 2dr I think it is a better choice.

I cannot thank enough the many members of the community that helped and these forums are the best tool one can have at hand, thanks to the ubiquitous mobile internet, it took me less than 5 minutes to find the right post with the right tips when I was facing a problem. Priceless! and I am glad to be a supporting member.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
There you go! Looks great!

Did you end up using the RC rear links and moving the stock links to the front?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There you go! Looks great!

Did you end up using the RC rear links and moving the stock links to the front?
Not yet, i wanted to drive it first and see how it behaves stock, it rides very well and the swaybar is at oerfect angle. Will wait and see after it breaks in.

After the wobble death episode because of one nut not properly torqued ( barely hand tight) I am a bit aprehensive though as this is a DD for wife and son, and i will probably check torque on a daily base until i can let it go.

Good thing is that with 3" clearance i do not need to lift car on jackstands to make adjustments

·
Registered
910 Posts
Not yet, i wanted to drive it first and see how it behaves stock, it rides very well and the swaybar is at oerfect angle. Will wait and see after it breaks in.

I can't see how the swaybar can be at perfect angle with stock links and 3" of lift. But your jeep looks good...

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts

I can't see how the swaybar can be at perfect angle with stock links and 3" of lift. But your jeep looks good...
The front uses the goofy AEV brackets and it's pretty good on the road, not as good when flexing... It's the rear bar that will be low leaving the stock links on like AEV does on the 2.5. It works ok, it's certainly not optimal...

·
Registered
910 Posts
ahh. I forgot that AEV uses the front link relocation brackets.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just did this install - took 3 weeks - painted and made sure everything was perfect. AEV kit is well done. Some of the instructions are a bit off nothing that is a big deal or be a show stopper just annoying.

Things to consider:

1. I did not have the heart to use the AEV front brackets, they are garbage. Ordered JKS 2034 Front Sway bar Quicker Disconnect System.

2. If you are doing it solo and want to save time - use spring compressors....

3. I have no idea what happened to my 4 year old Jounce Bumpers, but yeah they were almost non existent. so check that out ahead of time to make sure you have them when you are doing the front springs.

4. Check your ground strap (cable) to the engine block - mine was hanging by a thread.

5. Remove front wheel well liners - this make getting the stock shocks off easier and getting the new Bilstein's in. Torque the front shock top bolt when the Jeep in on the ground, lots of people complain that they cannot use the new hardware because of this.

Ride is so much better than stock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts