Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has done the AEV kit without using their tuned Bilstein shocks, instead of using the Bilstein, opted for lets say "Fox's" shocks? Doing my research for my future lift mod I have decided to use AEV, however, the shop that is going to do the install, etc is trying to push me away from using the stock tuned Bilstein shocks which I find odd but the Tech is telling me that because I have a Rubicon that I should used the "Fox's" shocks instead, that a Rubicon deserves all the best components.

He went on to also say that AEV is not used heavily by Jeep owners, instead Teraflex is the go to kit. For what I've been told/heard and research if you want to keep and upgrade the factory ride quality, get good road performance, and the Jeep will be used as a daily driver to go with AEV, if I want to go off roading, etc etc to go with Teraflex... This crap is really confusing, lol...

So what's the deal with this shop trying to lean me into a different direction?

Thanks~

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Sounds like your shop is over-opinionated at best or trying to upsell you at worst.

AEV setup is pretty dialed in as it comes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wondering if anyone has done the AEV kit without using their tuned Bilstein shocks, instead of using the Bilstein, opted for lets say "Fox's" shocks? Doing my research for my future lift mod I have decided to use AEV, however, the shop that is going to do the install, etc is trying to push me away from using the stock tuned Bilstein shocks which I find odd but the Tech is telling me that because I have a Rubicon that I should used the "Fox's" shocks instead, that a Rubicon deserves all the best components.

He went on to also say that AEV is not used heavily by Jeep owners, instead Teraflex is the go to kit. For what I've been told/heard and research if you want to keep and upgrade the factory ride quality, get good road performance, and the Jeep will be used as a daily driver to go with AEV, if I want to go off roading, etc etc to go with Teraflex... This crap is really confusing, lol...

So what's the deal with this shop trying to lean me into a different direction?

Thanks~
Hmm. Sounds like an upsell to me as mentioned..

TeraFlex is all around the board good. I am running their 2.5 coil and shock atm. After 3 years of abuse the set it pretty much shot though.

I'm putting on a 3.5 AEV and blinstein shock setup for a 2dr onto my 4dr.. I'm sure that shop wouldn't suggest that either lol..

Fox shock IS by TeraFlex so maybe just get TeraFlex coils?? I mostly DD with my TF setup, no complaints beside typical linear spring sag.

Do some reading on guys who run the fox shocks vs blinstein. The AEv coils from the start will have a stiffer ride, but soften with age and with weight.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
The shop guys are wrong. My guess is they know this and are simply trying to upsell you. I have had this exact kit (with the geo brackets for the front LCAs) and it is fine as is. It is great on the road and excellent off.

Perhaps these guys get a kickback for selling the other brands for their local supplier...

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Hmm. Sounds like an upsell to me as mentioned..

TeraFlex is all around the board good. I am running their 2.5 coil and shock atm. After 3 years of abuse the set it pretty much shot though.

I'm putting on a 3.5 AEV and blinstein shock setup for a 2dr onto my 4dr.. I'm sure that shop wouldn't suggest that either lol..

Fox shock IS by TeraFlex so maybe just get TeraFlex coils?? I mostly DD with my TF setup, no complaints beside typical linear spring sag.

Do some reading on guys who run the fox shocks vs blinstein. The AEv coils from the start will have a stiffer ride, but soften with age and with weight.
I actually was going to do that as my buddy was selling his. I went over to aev (they r&d shop is right down the street from me they started here owner lives here). They said not to. They said the coils are tuned differently between the two door and four door. I said I was looking for a 2.5 lift they said it did not work that way. They said valving on shocks is different too. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but aev puts a lot of time engineering their systems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run the AEV 2.5 with the bilsteins. It's been great so far. Lots of daily driving and some mild trail stuff. My jeep (JK Rubi) handles awesome.
For what it's worth, I also did the correction brackets, and would recommend them as well. They cost a little ground clearance, but my LCAs are totally parallel to the ground. I also did a 9/16th bolt kit, but that was after the shop F'ed the torque on the front track bar. It's great as is though.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm happy with my 2.5 with shocks as well. Would I be happy with other quality shocks? I'm sure I would be. Would I pay extra for other shocks when the bilsteins are brand new? No

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm not falling for the no other shock works as well song and dance . Ride is to subjective. Most other lift kit manufacturers offer a few different off the shelf shock options. How many of us swap shocks and springs through out the life of the Jeep using a different shocks a number of times. Ride is to subjective for me to believe one set of springs and shocks will please all of us. Just look at how different our jeeps are from each other. I probably will sell the AEV/Bilsteins off mine eventually and go with the 9000s just for the adjustability they offer not that I think they are a better shock as I don't . Had them before a couple times as with Bilsteins.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop guys are wrong. My guess is they know this and are simply trying to upsell you. I have had this exact kit (with the geo brackets for the front LCAs) and it is fine as is. It is great on the road and excellent off.

Perhaps these guys get a kickback for selling the other brands for their local supplier...

Yeah I think so too, they are seriously trying to push me not to go with a 2.5 kit, saying that a 3.5 would be ideal and it's "just" a few hundred more...LMAO! typical sells talk, telling that if I go off roading with a 2.5 I will have issues trying to clear rocks, etc etc blah blah~ I just pretend to agree and let them talk their mouths off..

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeah I think so too, they are seriously trying to push me not to go with a 2.5 kit, saying that a 3.5 would be ideal and it's "just" a few hundred more...LMAO! typical sells talk, telling that if I go off roading with a 2.5 I will have issues trying to clear rocks, etc etc blah blah~ I just pretend to agree and let them talk their mouths off..
I'd also compare labor prices of this said shop to other reputable shops. Just my 0.02

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Question:

I always thought the fox reservoir shocks excelled in go fast desert run type stuff - figured most people bought them because they looked cool.

Is there any advantage over traditional type shocks for on road and crawling?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Question:

I always thought the fox reservoir shocks excelled in go fast desert run type stuff - figured most people bought them because they looked cool.

Is there any advantage over traditional type shocks for on road and crawling?
road no advantage crawling only in as much as they can offer more travel for any given size shock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts