Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at lifts 2.5 to 3 inches & noticed the only one that you can use stock wheels & tires is the AEV. Unless I am missing something somewhere , all the others require 1.5 inch spacers for the wheels. I understand the backspacing & the rubbing issues. So do you know why there is the difference & if one way is better than another ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ran the AEV 2.5 XT with stock wheels and tires for 7 months no problem. I recently just added wheel spacers in preparation for larger tires. The reason they say you need wheels with a lower backspace is because they expect you to be running 33-35" tires that are also wider than stock. The height and width can cause rubbing on suspension components and the frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's interesting. I assumed they all required spacers assuming you would be running larger tires but you would be fine running stock wheels and tires. That's how I perceive it at least.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So is it better to have a lift with rear links or to retain the stock links?
It's better to have a lift provide extended rear links, if that's what your asking. Then, if your lift is 2.5" or under, you can use your stock rear links on the front.

If you plan on off-roading and links are not provided, your money will be well spent on something like the JKS Quick Disconnects for the front, and an adjustable pair for the rear. This is what I'll be doing to replace AEV's brackets up front.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's better to have a lift provide extended rear links, if that's what your asking. Then, if your lift is 2.5" or under, you can use your stock rear links on the front.

If you plan on off-roading and links are not provided, your money will be well spent on something like the JKS Quick Disconnects for the front, and an adjustable pair for the rear. This is what I'll be doing to replace AEV's brackets up front.
Thanks , I am trying to choose between AEV 2.5 that doesn't provide the links & is well respected & other brands also well respected that provide the links.. It seems way more companies use new links so they are probably a better choice

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Thanks , I am trying to choose between AEV 2.5 that doesn't provide the links & is well respected & other brands also well respected that provide the links.. It seems way more companies use new links so they are probably a better choice
Or just buy the AEV and buy links in addition. Most lifts are deemed "incomplete" so you'll always want something the lift doesn't provide.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I am running the Teraflex 2.5" lift, which comes with replacement rear swaybar links, and stock tires and wheels. As stated above, it is the presence or lack of longer rear swaybar links that forces the use of either spacers or different offset wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts