Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this lift any good the jeep is still new but want something to lift it a bit but not make me go any more in the poor house :)

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
it is fine I ran one. There are better deals for the money if you are buying new but the aev is well made other then the front swaybar link extensions suck on the kit. The spacer material quality is top notch. It will level you out pretty well and give you exactly 2" up front and around 1.25" in back. I like the RK 1.5" coil springs much better and not any more money.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The AEV spacers are good quality as well as several others on the market. The good thing about a spacer lift is you know exactly how much lift you are going to get where as with coils there is some variability. The bad thing is it takes a much work to install the spacers as it does a new set of coils. The spacers also maintain the factory ride which you may or may not like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have been running this on my shorty for over 12 months - steering is still twitchy and sometimes downright scary over bumps in the road at speed (so slow down when you can see dodgy patches in the road ahead) great to have the extra height over the 33s - I'm always careful offroading with this kit as I don't want to make something break / fall out but it has taken me to many, many fun places! Over the 12+ months, I settled on what I didn't like about the factory suspension (or what I think I don't like haha) and am now going to get a 2.5" lift to suit my tastes (flexy/progressive coils mainly)

Not sure what Rancho are offering at the moment, but their 2" kit may be more appropriate for you if you are in the US, price and functionally wise, Teraflex kits also? (I am not - I'm in Australia, and our vehicle laws leave a lot of areas where we can be fined and such for having some of the fun things you peoples can get ( :( !!! )

In other words, you can have a lot of fun with a spacer lift, but you'll most likely have more fun with a coil & shock lift :)

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Have been running this on my shorty for over 12 months - steering is still twitchy and sometimes downright scary over bumps in the road at speed (so slow down when you can see dodgy patches in the road ahead) great to have the extra height over the 33s - I'm always careful offroading with this kit as I don't want to make something break / fall out but it has taken me to many, many fun places! Over the 12+ months, I settled on what I didn't like about the factory suspension (or what I think I don't like haha) and am now going to get a 2.5" lift to suit my tastes (flexy/progressive coils mainly) Not sure what Rancho are offering at the moment, but their 2" kit may be more appropriate for you if you are in the US, price and functionally wise, Teraflex kits also? (I am not - I'm in Australia, and our vehicle laws leave a lot of areas where we can be fined and such for having some of the fun things you peoples can get ( :( !!! ) In other words, you can have a lot of fun with a spacer lift, but you'll most likely have more fun with a coil & shock lift :)
Something else is wrong. There's no way a 2" spacer lift --using the stock coils--will cause the issues you're having,
Tire psi ?
Shocks ?

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
Something else is wrong. There's no way a 2" spacer lift --using the stock coils--will cause the issues you're having,
Tire psi ?
Shocks ?
x2 when I had mine it was no different then when stock ie drove and handled fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tyre psi = 30 on front 28 on rear - dont get me wrong, on fine roads I love it, but when driving on not so fine paved roads, more attention needs to be paid, especially with the 33s... and in the wet... Did a fishtail in the 2 door and 33s after a rain shower and hitting a bump after coming out of a left hand corner - damn that was a butt clenching moment lol

Everything apart from front bumper & AEV 2" spacer lift = stock - can provide pics of the JK if required

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Tyre psi = 30 on front 28 on rear - dont get me wrong, on fine roads I love it, but when driving on not so fine paved roads, more attention needs to be paid, especially with the 33s... and in the wet... Did a fishtail in the 2 door and 33s after a rain shower and hitting a bump after coming out of a left hand corner - damn that was a butt clenching moment lol Everything apart from front bumper & AEV 2" spacer lift = stock - can provide pics of the JK if required
Load range of the tires ?
Stock (black) sport shocks ?

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
are the control arms properly torqued after being loosened and the weight of the vehicle put on the ground? Also it is possible your toe is out of spec which can have an impact on how it tracks, steering wheel also not centered can cause issues with the nanny control system. or maybe your jeep is just telling you it wants to drive on the proper side of the road :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure on load range (sorry chaps, about to go to bed on a Friday night after a long week of work)

Tyres are maxxis 762s so they're pretty stiff as is, after running the 2" spacers for a while, control arm brackets or adjustable control arms would be an asset, brackets are out if going by manufacturers though as the min is 2.5" - don't get me wrong, the aev 2" spacers are a great way to get some height on the jk, but just be ready to feel every bump and jolt from the stock jk suspension

·
Registered
170 Posts
kjeeper 10 and jadmt consider that our JK's come from the factory built to an "acceptable" tolerance. I think some may roll off the factory floor on the outside edge of the factory's "acceptable" caster range, and putting any type of lift it makes it a bit skittish. That may be WhiteMeat's issue.

I've a 2.5" TF spacer lift on my '14 JKUR. Before it was installed, I was told I'd not need any caster correction. However, once installed, I found my jeep too skittish at any speed over 60mph. I added Rancho geometry correction brackets, and it made all the difference.

·
Registered
269 Posts
please dont be that guy who puts 8 grand into his jeep and goes for the $200 lift... layaway a decent through krawl off road. i made it work with only bringing 360 home a week, just save save save and do it right

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has anyone ever installed this kit I just got it today and it look easy until I look at the rear shock bushings there are longer ones and shorter ones and not sure what to use

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
Has anyone ever installed this kit I just got it today and it look easy until I look at the rear shock bushings there are longer ones and shorter ones and not sure what to use
I have installed 2 of the 2" kits they are easy. Not sure what you mean by longer and shorter rear shock bushings. Are you talking about the rear shock extensions? if so they should be the same size.

the instructions are well written and easy to follow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes sorry just looked again and it has 4 of the same size and 2 longer ones that look like they r used for the front one on each side

·
Super Moderator
21,947 Posts
Yes sorry just looked again and it has 4 of the same size and 2 longer ones that look like they r used for the front one on each side
yes that is correct. the 2 longer ones are used on the front lower shock mount brackets. keeps them from squishing when torqued down.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Anyone ever installed this kit open to any tips?
I installed the AEV 2" on mine. Fairly simple installation. Here are my suggestions:

1) Check the front & rear brake lines after installation.

My rears were a little too tight for my liking at full droop. A slight bend of the metal lines at the rear calipers solved that.

I also found that if you simply zip-tie the front brake hoses to the shocks per the instructions, then they would rub the tire/wheel when the front wheels were fully turned. It took me a few tries to get them positioned correctly.

2) Check the axle wiring at full droop as well. My rear ABS wiring was a little tight, as well as my diff lock wiring. I had to adjust it a little.

3) Make sure to tighten all the bolts with a torque wrench with the full vehicle weight on the suspension.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts