Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks I finally did it. I pulled the trigger and purchased a AEV 3.5 inch SC lift for my 2014 Willys JKU. Now I am trying to figure out should I install it myself or get it done at a good shop. I have access to all of the lifts and tools to do the install myself but haven't done such a big task to a vehicle since shop class way back in high school. This is my first jeep and would never hear the end of it from the wife if I screwed it up. A reputable shop quoted me $700 for the install which seems to be the going rate in the area. I am not the most mechanically gifted individual but I have common sensed my way through a few repairs on other vehicles. Saying that this seems like it might be a bit too much to bite off without some more experience standing by. Has anyone installed this lift and have anything to say about the process? Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed mine. Got the dual sport. I think the only difference is the shocks. I do most of my repairs and upgrades myself. It took my the full 10 hours to install. The only tools that I didn't have were a good torque wrench and a step bit for my drill. The 2 or 3 holes that you have to drill it is hard to fit a regular drill bit in the space. Buy a good 7/8 step bit. Other than that the instructions are straight forward. BTW I did mine in my driveway with my floor jack and jack stands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One other thing I just remembered. The new drag link that installs on top of the steering knuckle on the pax side. Mine rubbed on the wheel. I still have the stock 17 rubi wheels and no spacers. I had to file the drag link down some and paint it. I'm traveling for work right now but will take a pic and send it to you. I'll be home Friday.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The high steer kit is the only part that requires some skill. Once you've done it you realize it wasn't that difficult to begin with. It's more the fear of screwing up the knuckle.

$700 is not unreasonable but too many shops don't do the assembly and torquing properly. The rest is just average wrench work albeit in some awkward positions unless you are luck enough to have lift. I use to be a grunt in a engine and off road shop in my better days and we would let qualified customers uses the racks for such things as lifts for a pretty modest fee. We would even throw in a parts/tool cart and air line (no tools). Liability is too high now a days for such customer service.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts