Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my jeep back from the shop with my lift and wheel spacers installed and it is sweet. I had the AEV 3.5" in SC lift installed and 1.5" spidertrax spacers to clear my stock Willy's wheels. I have only drove it from the shop to the house but there are some noticeable changes. The jeep feels way more stable through turns. She handled great on the rough streets as well, less jarring on the speed bumps and pot holes. I'll get some trail riding on it tomorrow so I'll have a better idea than about how it handles the dirt. I think the spacers would play into the stability feeling through the turns as well, so I am not giving all of the credit to the lift yet.

Being fresh springs and me not having heavy bumpers I picked up 5 inches in the front and 4 in the rear. I think the rear was shorter because that is where I have my 80 feet of chain, hi lift jack, and hi lift winch kit. The only negative thing I found is that my road noise is noticeable now in comparison to where it was. I have the stock wrangler M/T's and they were fairly quite without the lift. Now you definitely know they are there. No big deal, just a byproduct I guess. Also, now I want bigger tires, which means I need bigger gears and axle or c gusset bracing. Not to mention tire carrier or bumper. He he he, Jeep (Just Empty Each Pocket) lives up to its reputation but it's worth it.

I tried to line the photos up as best I could for comparision.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks good buddy. Glad to hear it rides good. I'm waiting on my shop to finish my aev 2.5 lift with 35's n 4.56 gears. Suppose to be done today but I now have to wait until Friday because my tires never showed up. Aghh.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
With that noise comes an increase in drag too so your fuel economy will drop. If you're one of those owners that took off the air dam in the front, it will help if you replace it. I got 5.25" when I first installed my AEV 3.5 but after a couple of weeks it settle almost 3/4".

Enjoy your lift and good luck with the rest of your build.

What tires are you going with?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With that noise comes an increase in drag too so your fuel economy will drop. If you're one of those owners that took off the air dam in the front, it will help if you replace it. I got 5.25" when I first installed my AEV 3.5 but after a couple of weeks it settle almost 3/4".

Enjoy your lift and good luck with the rest of your build.

What tires are you going with?

I am resetting my fuel reading in the morning so I can see what the difference is. I look at it as a pay to play thing, so I am not overly concerned. I figured it'll come down a bit once the springs settle. As for the tires I have been diving into the threads over them since I got my lift kit delivered. They are still a long ways out from being bought but I am thinking Dick Cepek Crushers or Mud Country. I also like the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar. Any suggestions? The Crushers are kind of gimmicky but they are pretty sweet and the reviews are descent. Also I am not sure of what size I should go with. I think 35's would be preferred but I know I will have to eventually up the front axle and gears if I do that. I do not think 33's would make much of a difference in height as that's only an inch from what I am already running.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The new motor really makes 35's livable with any factory gearing. I have 4.56's personally and drove my friends that had 3.21's and it was fine. With 35's mind you. The only place you'll really notice is on the trails. C gussets or a truss is not necessary unless you wheel your jeep regularly. It is good insurance however. I have gussets personally, and will be installing a truss shortly. I wheel on occasion though and love the warm feeling being over prepared gives me. If i could go back in time idk if i woulda dropped the coin on re gearing. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I am resetting my fuel reading in the morning so I can see what the difference is. I look at it as a pay to play thing, so I am not overly concerned. I figured it'll come down a bit once the springs settle. As for the tires I have been diving into the threads over them since I got my lift kit delivered. They are still a long ways out from being bought but I am thinking Dick Cepek Crushers or Mud Country. I also like the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear MT/R w/ Kevlar. Any suggestions? The Crushers are kind of gimmicky but they are pretty sweet and the reviews are descent. Also I am not sure of what size I should go with. I think 35's would be preferred but I know I will have to eventually up the front axle and gears if I do that. I do not think 33's would make much of a difference in height as that's only an inch from what I am already running.
Size a personal preference but 35s is a perfect match for your lift kit. All the tire you mention are good choice but the Crushers have a stronger off road bias. If you want to go that route take a look at one best in the category, the father of the KM2, the BFG Krawler which is in the direct competitor to the Crusher. The Krawler is the king of the rocks but the Crusher has a better reputation in the wet stuff. The Interco SS-M16 has a similar tread pattern to Crusher but does better on the road. These are only a few of the many great choices.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Size a personal preference but 35s is a perfect match for your lift kit. All the tire you mention are good choice but the Crushers have a stronger off road bias. If you want to go that route take a look at one best in the category, the father of the KM2, the BFG Krawler which is in the direct competitor to the Crusher. The Krawler is the king of the rocks but the Crusher has a better reputation in the wet stuff. The Interco SS-M16 has a similar tread pattern to Crusher but does better on the road. These are only a few of the many great choices.
I liked the Krawler but I am in central NC and not doing to much extreme crawling. More into trail riding and the mud that is so prevelant around here so I am leaning more towards the Crusher. The Inerco are nice but pricey and heavy. Not sure if I want to put on new shoes that cost that much just yet. Speaking of shoes, has any used onlinetires.com? Looking at there site, they are way cheaper on almost every tire.

I took Sandy(My Jeep) through the mud, sand, and deep washouts on the way home today with the lift for the first time. She rode great. I have run the same trail a hundred or so times and the jeep felt more grounded with way less body roll. I have a good long run planned for this weekend so I can test it out on some worse terrain.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got my jeep back from the shop with my lift and wheel spacers installed and it is sweet. I had the AEV 3.5" in SC lift installed and 1.5" spidertrax spacers to clear my stock Willy's wheels. I have only drove it from the shop to the house but there are some noticeable changes. The jeep feels way more stable through turns. She handled great on the rough streets as well, less jarring on the speed bumps and pot holes. I'll get some trail riding on it tomorrow so I'll have a better idea than about how it handles the dirt. I think the spacers would play into the stability feeling through the turns as well, so I am not giving all of the credit to the lift yet.

Being fresh springs and me not having heavy bumpers I picked up 5 inches in the front and 4 in the rear. I think the rear was shorter because that is where I have my 80 feet of chain, hi lift jack, and hi lift winch kit. The only negative thing I found is that my road noise is noticeable now in comparison to where it was. I have the stock wrangler M/T's and they were fairly quite without the lift. Now you definitely know they are there. No big deal, just a byproduct I guess. Also, now I want bigger tires, which means I need bigger gears and axle or c gusset bracing. Not to mention tire carrier or bumper. He he he, Jeep (Just Empty Each Pocket) lives up to its reputation but it's worth it.

I tried to line the photos up as best I could for comparision.

Notice any driveline vibes with that lift? or do you have aftermarket driveshafts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Notice any driveline vibes with that lift? or do you have aftermarket driveshafts?
No vibrations at all. Honestly she drives better than stock on the road and has already helped me clear some obstacles I never would have made it over previously. I still have the stock drive shaft and don't plan on getting an after market till next year. I don't wheel anything too extreme and think the OEM shaft should hold up till after I go bigger on the tires and than get sleeves and c gussets for the dana 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts