Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted over on the AEV forum, but I'm posting here as well since there are so many more active members I figured it couldn't hurt.

After going over my 2015 Unlimited it appears that my drag link ball on the knuckle side is getting worn. I found from another thread that my drag link was a drill type vs the newer no drill Steersmarts unit that it looks like they are using now. I cannot find any copies online for the install of the older kits so I don't know what size the knuckles were drilled to. What would a recommendation be for a replacement on the drag link? I do not think I can just replace the ball on that unit.

Thanks!
DAVE

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
7/8". how many miles? it should not be getting worn out unless lots of miles and hard use. call AEV they should hook you up. Also steersmart has a bushing so you can use a highsteer no drill set up.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I posted over on the AEV forum, but I'm posting here as well since there are so many more active members I figured it couldn't hurt.

After going over my 2015 Unlimited it appears that my drag link ball on the knuckle side is getting worn. I found from another thread that my drag link was a drill type vs the newer no drill Steersmarts unit that it looks like they are using now. I cannot find any copies online for the install of the older kits so I don't know what size the knuckles were drilled to. What would a recommendation be for a replacement on the drag link? I do not think I can just replace the ball on that unit.

Thanks!
DAVE
what brand of drag link do you have installed? you may be able to find out the size of the drilled hole in the specs for your current drag link by calling the vendor. The vendor of the drag link should be able to tell you what size hole would have had to been drilled to install the drag link.

I had the Rock Krawler pro tie rod and drag link and I un-bolted them and took them off and measured the drilled out hole to see what size it was. so that's another option, but takes quite a bit of time.

once you figure out the current hold size, you need to determine the hole size requirement for the new drag link.

Teraflex makes tapered sleeves that match the taper of the tie rod or drag link ends and fit down into the holes to make the hole smaller for a normal drag link or tie rod end.

I ended up removing my ends, drilling the hole out slightly bigger (I need an extra 1/16" of inch for the sleeve to fit in the hole), installing the sleeve and putting the stock size end into the tapered sleeve.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 48k miles. Not sure the brand but it came with the AEV kit from late 2014. I made a few videos and posted at this thread https://www.wranglerforum.com/#/topics/2335891 take a look and let me know what you think.

What I am feeling is a general looseness in the steering and most noticeable on the highway. I did lower the pressure to 28psi cold and that helped some. It’s not terrible but I have to make constant corrections with more steering wheel movement than seems necessary.

One final note is that while I have put less than 1000 miles on it, I did notice that the left front outside tire has a slight scalloping on it. The rig is new, so I’m just trying to figure out what, if anything needs to be tweaked.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked it again with a helper. Both sides are definitely worn. The drivers side is actually clicking a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I bet it probably is 7/8" hole, because mine was 7/8" and I had to drill it out to 15/16" to insert the tapered teraflex sleeve. mine was on the tie rod, but he drag link on mine was drilled too and the same setup.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called AEV and it is indeed 7/8. I have another sleeve coming and picked up a drill type Steer Smarts bar. Pretty darn heavy duty. Seems like a nice upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts