Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been planning an AEV 2.5" lift on my 2015 JKUR with black wheels and 35" tires. I have been going back and forth between AEV Salta and AEV Borah wheels.

As far as the wheel paint, I'd like some sheen so I'm not crazy about the matte black. I'm not sold on onyx black - worried it's too gray to go well with my Tank jeep. On the other hand, the Galaxy black may be too glossy and flashy with the metallic flecks. I'm most drawn to the satin black - basic black with a little shine. The issue it that it appears satin black is only currently available in the JL version of the Borah.

So here are my questions for discussion:

1. Has anyone heard if AEV is planning to release the JK version of the Borah in satin black? Or the Salta for that matter?

2. If not, could I make the satin black JL version of the Borah work on my JK? It appears the only difference between the two versions is the offset and backspace. The JK version is +4mm offset and 4.9" backspace. The JL version is +25mm offset and 5.72" backspace. Am I correct that a 3/4" or 1" spacer would essentially make up the difference and allow the JL version to fit on the JK?

3. Are wheel spacers really a bad idea?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I was under the impression that the JK's and JL's had the same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
597 Posts
3. Are wheel spacers really a bad idea?
If you buy these wheels you don't need spacers, unless you go crazy with 40" or 42" tires on stock axles, then a bad idea.

I still run stock wheels with 35" tires and 1.5" spacers with no issues.

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
it would be really tough to have a 3/4" or 1" spacer as that means the lugs would have to be very short. I think 1.25" is about the limit.

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
If you buy these wheels you don't need spacers, unless you go crazy with 40" or 42" tires on stock axles, then a bad idea.

I still run stock wheels with 35" tires and 1.5" spacers with no issues.
he is talking about the jl on a jk as the bs is only 5.72 so 35x12.5 would be tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
he is talking about the jl on a jk as the bs is only 5.72 so 35x12.5 would be tight.
I am being told that the satin Borah's for the JL will work on my 2018 JKU Rubicon with 37's. Do you think different per your note above?

·
Super Moderator
5,379 Posts
I am being told that the satin Borah's for the JL will work on my 2018 JKU Rubicon with 37's. Do you think different per your note above?
If they have 5.7" of backspacing you may need to run wheel spacers to get the tires to clear. A set of 1.25" wheel spacers would put your overall backspacing at around 4.5", which would work.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,027 Posts
The Saltas in Onyx I was afraid would be too gray, and I don't think they are. My rig is Chief blue, but I run Onyx Saltas. I wanted matte but got a screaming deal on the Onyx.

As for AEV introducing anything new for the JK I just dont see happening. They are working on a full package Gladiator hemi and other JL products. I dont see their prices dropping for JK anytime soon either. Eventually probably to clear out stock, but I bet not for another 5-8 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts