Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Would be interested to know this as well?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So did it work?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So did it work?
Waiting for my AEV winch plate kit. No install yet!

Although I did rescue someone on a pretty crazy mountainside with my straps for the first time on Saturday!

I'll make sure to post pics when the winch is in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the AEV bumper and Engo E12K.... Fits just fine. However I did relocate the solenoid to just above the battery under the hood. If you plan to mount the solenoid pack naturally above the spool the you may have to make some slight adjustments to the mount to avoid slight clearance issues with your grill. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the AEV bumper and Engo E12K.... Fits just fine. However I did relocate the solenoid to just above the battery under the hood. If you plan to mount the solenoid pack naturally above the spool the you may have to make some slight adjustments to the mount to avoid slight clearance issues with your grill. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post.
Would appreciate it!!! Great to hear!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here are the pics of the E12K and AEV Bump. One note I didn't mention last night... I did have to trim the stock Vac Pump mount to allow good fit. The AEV winch mount kit comes with a relocation bracket so wasn't a huge deal to cut it out. If I had to do it over again, I would have used the teraflex relocation kit that puts the pump under the hood which seems like a better solution to me. But I'm still running the AEV relocation kit and I've had no issues (more of personal preference than anything technical). PICS attached...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
One other thing... As you can see I have the Hawse fairlead. The bolts for this are aluminum and I have a very difficult time installing due to them being slightly to short when used on AEV. Not a huge deal, I just ordered a 1/4 longer version online and eliminated my problem. Just an FYI if your using synthetic rope for you install.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other thing... As you can see I have the Hawse fairlead. The bolts for this are aluminum and I have a very difficult time installing due to them being slightly to short when used on AEV. Not a huge deal, I just ordered a 1/4 longer version online and eliminated my problem. Just an FYI if your using synthetic rope for you install.
Perfect! Looks great. Nope, no synthetic here.

So does TEREFLEX make just the relocation bracket?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Installing now- where did you mount your solenoid ?
I'll post some pics of my solenoid install when I get a chance this weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pulled some pics from my install (meant to post a install thread and haven't yet... guess this will have to do...). There quite a few pics, hopefully this will give you some ideas... (Don't mean to hi-jack your thread here, just hoping these will be helpful.

So, after completion of the AEV winch plate and relocation of VAC pump (I used AEVs kit... but I gave my recommendations on that in a previous post on this thread) and the install of the winch into the bumper. I began the process of relocating the winch solenoid.

I didn't want the solenoid located above the winch, as I would have had to do some trimming of the bumper and/or the grill to all for proper fit. I also, did not want to have the solenoid exposed to the elements (yes, I know they are built for that... but lots of stuff is supposed to be waterproof and isn't).

I did some reading on line and found quite a few posts of folks relocating the solenoid on top of the battery. A lot of these installs, just left the solenoid sitting on top or to the side of the battery... which should be fine as I don't think it leaves much room for bouncing around. But, I wanted a bit cleaner install and wanted to secure the solenoid somehow into its new position. I looked around on-line and there wasn't any retail options I liked to mount the solenoid into its new location... so I decided to fabricate one.

WARNING: I'm not a metal fabricator nor a welder... so this is purely a DIYer trying to save a buck and build something I can live with and will do the job I intended. I'm sure there are tons of folks out there that could have done a much better job at this than I could. So I present these photos as a simple record of what I did... not as a guide for what everyone should do. I hope it helps someone out...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided to make a bracket to mount the solenoid onto and support an additional "arming" solenoid to wire to a switch in the cab. I wanted to have a cut-off switch in the cab to ensure I didn't have any parasitic draw that would possibly drain the battery... and to avoid the possibility of some 'Richard' shorting the exposed leads on my winch to kill my battery. I ended up going with a custom switch from 12volt guy and a PAC 500 solenoid in addition to the winch controls.

As for the bracket... I don't have a welder, but have done some torch bronzing etc, and decided to build a bracket out of aluminum and do a bit of torch welding.

I picked a sheet of 1/8th inch aluminum from a local welding shop and some aluminum flux coated bronzing rods. My design was all in my head but the general idea was a L-shapped bracket to sit just above the battery to which I can mount the solenoids.

Starting with a 1ft by 1ft square plate of 1/8th inch aluminum I cut the sheet to the same width as the winch solenoid and left about 3 inches in additional length to make a 90 degree bend in the plate for mounting the arming isolator/solenoid.

To get the bend (I don't have any sort of bending brake...) I simply scored the aluminum plate where I wanted to make the bend, folded using some wood in a vise and then soldered some aluminum into the corner of the bend to fill the gaps left scoring the plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Below is a pic of where I was intending to mount the solenoid. I put some notes in the picture as to where I was going to attach the bracket to the vehicle ( to secure the mount ), as well as give you and idea of how I routed the cables for the winch.

Since I only had one convenient mount point to secure the bracket to the vehicle, I wanted to provide additional support for the bracket above the battery. I decided to use two shock absorber isolators (left over from my lift) to act as a cushion/buffer between the bracket and the battery. You can see them in this picture as well, when I was checking fitment during fabrication.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also fabricated a smaller tapered piece out of the left over aluminum plate I had in order to fabricate an attachment point for the whole bracket. The pic below shows the main bracket and the smaller attachment piece while checking overall fitment.

The tapered piece could not be a part of the original plate since the slope of the side panel of the vehicle (where the bolt I was going to attached the bracket to was located...) was not level with the top of the battery. So making a tapered piece with a 90 degree bend allowed me to stage the fitment of the whole assembly and get the proper angle to which I need to attach the tapered piece to the main bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
In order to support the bracket above the battery and provide a mount point for the shock absorber isolators, I fused two short "nubs" from a solid 3/8 inch aluminum rod to the bottom of the bracket.

Notes: You can also see I had a polished aluminum plate to start with..., which doesn't work real well with painting. So scuffed up the plate as I went.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
So... after attaching the tapered piece to the main bracket at the angle determined by the pre-fit, scuffing the entire surface, and attaching the rubber isolators you get the following...

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took a rattle can of self-etching primer and flat black paint to the bracket, mounted the winch solenoid, replaced the stock winch cables with my welders cable runs, and attached the "arming" solenoid to the out side bracket. You get this...

Note: This picture was taken prior to installing my main fuse for the winch, and thus is why you don't see the cabling hooked to the arming solenoid.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts