Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Definitely not a bad deal at all! Essentially a 2 for 1, especially if the wear and tear is "light". Not to mention you can pick up a can of touch up paint from AEV and really have them looking brand new.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
So these are the Mopar ones and not the AEV ones right?

I mean... at that price it probably doesn't matter... but it's worth knowing that there are differences if you're buying. The AEV front bumper has the fairlead plate in it while the Mopar one doesn't and the AEV skid plate has openings to fit a hi-lift while the Mopar one doesn't.

I think the AEV rear bumper has the water storage tanks with it. The Mopar ones are sealed up.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you plan on mounting a winch, you will also need the AEV Winch Mount.

A Warn 10S Premium winch will fit right in. However, the winch wants every bit of room that's there. My winch is actually touching the grill in the center. I put a piece of rubber between the grill and winch.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The AEV front bumper has the fairlead plate in it while the Mopar one doesn't and the AEV skid plate has openings to fit a hi-lift while the Mopar one doesn't.
The Mopar bumper and AEV are the same bumper both made by AEV. When you buy the jeep new from Mopar, the bumper does not come with the winch mount or fairlead plate. Mine did come with the openings in the skid plate. After purchasing the winch mount setup, I was good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
The rear has the water tanks with it.
Wild Weasel is correct. While the Moab, backcountry, etc. rear bumper comes with plastic tanks, they are just 'fillers', they don't hold water or have the pump mechanism that the AEV branded one does. That's why AEV makes a nice bit of coin selling these water tanks w/pump to owners of those editions that want their bumper to be more 'AEV like':

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/shop/vehicle/jk-wrangler/2012-call-of-duty-rear-bumper-water-tanks-with-pump-kit

Still a damn nice deal for 2 solid bumpers if they are in good shape though

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
If you plan on mounting a winch, you will also need the AEV Winch Mount.

A Warn 10S Premium winch will fit right in. However, the winch wants every bit of room that's there. My winch is actually touching the grill in the center. I put a piece of rubber between the grill and winch.
Mine touches too. Just where the power cable comes out the back of it though. :)

The Mopar bumper and AEV are the same bumper both made by AEV. When you buy the jeep new from Mopar, the bumper does not come with the winch mount or fairlead plate. Mine did come with the openings in the skid plate. After purchasing the winch mount setup, I was good to go.
My skid plate doesn't have the openings for the high lift.
If yours does that's pretty cool. It would be the first one I've seen.

You're right in that the bumpers are physically the same... it's just that if it was the AEV rather than the Mopar it would already have the fairlead plate in it. If you go to the AEV site you can see that they sell different winch mount kits at different prices depending on whether you got a bumper from AEV or you either bought the Mopar branded one from a dealer or your Jeep came with one like the Backcountry and others. They do not have the fairlead plate, which is why you (and I) had to buy one. It's extra money, so it's worth knowing about when you're buying a second hand bumper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts