Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered/purchased one of the AEV conversions packages (there appear to be 3 base packages) for the Wrangler. I'm debating whether to go the AEV package route, or piece-by-piece upgrade?

I didn't find any posts on the topic , and was wondering if anyone had any additional input.

Additional Info:
Not 1st 4wd, but 1st Wrangler
Starting with a 2014 JKU Rubicon stock
Off-road use severity: novice/easy to intermediate (it is, and will be, a daily driver)
Planned use: 80% Daily Driver/20% off-road
Likely off-road usage locations: OH, PA,WV, KY, MI --Northern LP and Eastern UP, ME, IN
Bucket List use(in other words, low probability): WY, MT,CO,UT,NM,AZ,AK
Seasonal use for off-roading: All-seasons (especially winter)
Will likely put ski rack or bike rack of some sort on it
Already got it stuck in mud :facepalm:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would want to piece together my own build. There are so many choices to make the Jeep your own. Why let a company do that for you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
AEV Conversions or piece-by-piece upgrade?

In response to trailless:
  • It appears that AEV will back their work with warranty

• My need to purchase additional tools that I may not use much, if at all, afterwards

• Some of the work is well-beyond my comfort-level of skill.Specifically of concern to me are things like suspension & drivetrain work and mismatching parts, for example:what stresses will the new parts apply to the factory parts; where will the stress be applied; and what will be the consequences (ranging from nothing to many additional $$ in parts

• Time w/ family & having fun vs Time working on Jeep wishing I were having fun off-road or otherwise.

·
Registered
614 Posts
In response to trailless:

[*]It appears that AEV will back their work with warranty

[*]My need to purchase additional tools that I may not use much, if at all, afterwards

[*]Some of the work is well-beyond my comfort-level of skill.Specifically of concern to me are things like suspension & drivetrain work and mismatching parts, for example:what stresses will the new parts apply to the factory parts; where will the stress be applied; and what will be the consequences (ranging from nothing to many additional $$ in parts

[*]Time w/ family & having fun vs Time working on Jeep wishing I were having fun off-road or otherwise.
The warranry would be nice.

For the others, I didn't mean to actually do the work yourself. You can find a good shop around you that will do the work. There is no way I'm going to do some of the work on my jeep.

You can go in stages. Maybe wheels, tires and a lift first. Then bumpers, sliders, skids next. And so on. Even for a bumper, there are so many choices and so many different styles.

The point I was trying to make. There are so many options to make the Jeep unique and YOURS. Why let a company decide on what you like?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Has anyone considered/purchased one of the AEV conversions packages (there appear to be 3 base packages) for the Wrangler. I'm debating whether to go the AEV package route, or piece-by-piece upgrade?

I didn't find any posts on the topic , and was wondering if anyone had any additional input.

Additional Info:
Not 1st 4wd, but 1st Wrangler
Starting with a 2014 JKU Rubicon stock
Off-road use severity: novice/easy to intermediate (it is, and will be, a daily driver)
Planned use: 80% Daily Driver/20% off-road
Likely off-road usage locations: OH, PA,WV, KY, MI --Northern LP and Eastern UP, ME, IN
Bucket List use(in other words, low probability): WY, MT,CO,UT,NM,AZ,AK
Seasonal use for off-roading: All-seasons (especially winter)
Will likely put ski rack or bike rack of some sort on it
Already got it stuck in mud :facepalm:
If you buy the AEV canned Jeep, the only advantage is you can finance it like you can finance a rubicon over a sport. If you can't afford to build it yourself, then it might be a great option. IF you can afford to do things yourself, I'd advise you to build it on your own....you will save money, and have a much bigger parts bin to play with. AEV also doesn't upgrade drivetrains (other than a hemi swap) so thats not an advantage. The warranty is hit or miss, as it isn't really chrysler's warranty, so the same rules apply mod wise. Some things they do also isn't ideal, and this is coming from an AEV 2.5" owner...like the front sway link brackets or the floppy GEO correction brackets. To reiterate, the ONLY advantage of having them do it is the ability to finance it all....but you are overpaying.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the fast replies, and the additional details.
I thought I might be missing a few things, so that's why I asked the question.

Based on the feedback so far, it's starting to look like I may actually go the piece-by-piece route instead of the package deal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you have the money... You can't beat AEV

I'll be doing a 2015 hemi swap.. This year been in the phone with them non stop.. They are extremely cool. N helpful.. I'm in Nyc but I'll be buying my Jeep from Zodtt Chrysler in MI.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
If you enjoy building Jeeps then by all means buy the parts and save the labor. However, if your plan is to have a shop install the parts and you have the budget then definitely get the AEV vehicle. It provides the best warranty "possible"; one that is much stronger than any third party shop. The AEV vehicles till have plenty of room for mods if you get the addiction like some of us. :)

AEV Engineering and Manufacturing is OEM quality.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The point I was trying to make. There are so many options to make the Jeep unique and YOURS. Why let a company decide on what you like?
Going with a package doesn't mean someone is letting the company decide what they like. It could easily mean they like what the company is offering. If the package has what you like, the fact that it's a package shouldn't be a deterrent from getting it.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
If you enjoy building Jeeps then by all means buy the parts and save the labor. However, if your plan is to have a shop install the parts and you have the budget then definitely get the AEV vehicle. It provides the best warranty "possible"; one that is much stronger than any third party shop. The AEV vehicles till have plenty of room for mods if you get the addiction like some of us. :)

AEV Engineering and Manufacturing is OEM quality.
Oh, I will agree with this....

If you are going to buy parts and install yourself, go that route, however, if you are going to buy parts and have a shop install everything, then I'd rather pay for AEV to do it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
AEV makes great stuff; some of the best. If you like their stuff, and can afford it, you should buy it. Their biggest selling point is that they work with Jeep engineers in their development, and many AEV components are repackaged for MOPAR.

OTOH, there are many great companies that make exceptionally good parts, often at a lower price point. Also, depending on your want/need, some other companies might have parts that are better for your use.

BTW, I'm a big fan of AEV. In fact, I bought a JKU Moab which has front and rear bumpers, rock rails, and hood all designed and built by AEV for Jeep.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the replies are very helpful. It looks like I have some more research to do before I finalize a decision. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently bought 2014 rubicon 4D. Purchased AEV 4.5" lift front and rear bumpers and tire carrier 5 37's and 5 wheels all installed by jeep after the fact. Cost $9500. I knew I was paying about 1,500- to 2,000 more because of AEV parts and jeep labor compared to a comparable setup at multiple custom shops. However jeep sells the same jeeps on 35's with 3.5" for $63,000, I paid much much less separating the two. For two reasons I chose to go with jeep labor and AEV parts, the warranty and the dual sport AEV lift rides the best on road of the many Jeep allowed me to test drive on there lot, as I am a 90/10 jeep owner not a whole lot of trail time.

All and all I would find a jeep dealer that does custom work and take a few of there rigs out to help you decide.

IMHO AEV actually rides better than stock on road... If that is important to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts