Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my pics from the diff cover mod today.

I chose to use the Lube Locker gasket as I am a rookie at this.

Factory removed, oil drained, surface cleaned, ready to install. Anyone good enough to tell if I have 3.73 or 4.10 gears?

Factory cover vs. AEV cover side by side.

AEV cover with and without bolts and cover. Note the raised and thickened lip around the bottom half to protect the bolts and cover.

Lube Locker gasket set in place ready to go on the axle.

Installed, fill holes and inspection holes open.

All done multiple views.

Regards...

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Came out nice. I only use Lubelockers. Sealant doesn't work for me. With the AEV it looks like you fill to the top hole for the rear?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I used AEV torque setting of 22 then upped that a bit to 30. I am still a bit short of the 35 FP mentioned by Lube Locker but I don't want to mess these bolts. The lower hole is the fill hole for front the upper hole is the fill hole for the back. I used Royal Purple Synthetic 75-140 in the rear and will use Royal Purple 80-90 on the front when I get the part next week. Today I only did the back. Next week the front.

I will check for leaks this week.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just swapped out my G2 cover to this AEV yesterday. Looks super nice and one heavy piece. Odd though, I only got in 1 3/4 quarts of RP 75w140 before it started coming out the appropriate measure opening. It says it’s supposed to be to Chrysler specs, but I thought that was like 2 1/4 quarts? Yes I was on level ground before you ask. Anyone else with this issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts
I just swapped out my G2 cover to this AEV yesterday. Looks super nice and one heavy piece. Odd though, I only got in 1 3/4 quarts of RP 75w140 before it started coming out the appropriate measure opening. It says it’s supposed to be to Chrysler specs, but I thought that was like 2 1/4 quarts? Yes I was on level ground before you ask. Anyone else with this issue?
yes that is about what I got in as well. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Great to hear thanks. I was tempted to go ahead and just empty the entire second bottle anyway though I imagine that fill hole was placed there for a reason

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,822 Posts
the interior space of the AEV is thicker and takes up more room than the OEM cover. You can sort of see it in the pic above with the AEV cover turned around with the LubeLocker laying in place.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the LubeLocker as well, no instruction on torque specs. I went on the low 18 ft/lb AEV recommendation (they say up to 22 ft/lb). Its been raining like crazy here, but I left some cardboard under my rig and have not yet noticed any leaks so far. If I do, then I know I can safely move up some at least.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From the installation manual.

Each AEV differential cover can be used in either the front or rear axle locations and has two oil fill level holes labeled “F” for Front and “R” for Rear to aid in servicing. Depending on what axle you are servicing, use the appropriate hole as a quick reference when adding oil. All oil quantities should match the operator’s manual recommended amounts and weights. Always service differentials on flat level ground with wheels chocked.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the interior space of the AEV is thicker and takes up more room than the OEM cover. You can sort of see it in the pic above with the AEV cover turned around with the LubeLocker laying in place.
AEV told me the interior space (fill capacity) of their diff is CAD matched to the OEM cover.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i extracted a little over 2 quarts from my rear diff from factory fill.

So that is what I put back in.

.3 quarts came out after i removed the OEM fill hole.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i extracted a little over 2 quarts from my rear diff from factory fill.

So that is what I put back in.

.3 quarts came out after i removed the OEM fill hole.
To clarify: .3 quarts came out of the factory cover fill hole when you removed it, and a little over 2 quarts came out total?

After putting a little over 2 quarts back in with the AEV cover, did you pull the level plug to see if the level was correct? The level is the most important thing to get right when changing to an aftermarket cover.

·
Registered
406 Posts
To clarify: .3 quarts came out of the factory cover fill hole when you removed it, and a little over 2 quarts came out total?

After putting a little over 2 quarts back in with the AEV cover, did you pull the level plug to see if the level was correct? The level is the most important thing to get right when changing to an aftermarket cover.
Correct.
oil extracted from factory fill
.3 fill hole
1.8 drain hole
2.1 total

I slowly poured in 1.8 quarts until it weeped then quickly buttoned it up and poured the rest (.2) in the top.
I only purchased 2 quarts.

I also called AEV and they said the diff cover was CAD matched to the OEM cover and I would have been fine if i hadn't topped it off with .2 quarts. They have 1000s of test cases in the field.

I am also running their 2.5" lift.

So I extracted 2.1 from the OEM and filled 2 quarts with the AEV.

I did not use brake cleaner or any other solvents. I used patience and paper towels.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
^^Yeah, I wouldn't use brake cleaner to clean out the diff either, especially when these factory e-lockers appear to be a little sensitive to contaminants. I'm worried about flushing contaminants into places they aren't supposed to be. I always drain the rear when hot, just after driving. The front never gets hot, just a little warm.

·
Premium Member
1,609 Posts

@KUJayDoc why did you switch from G2 to AEV?
I was considering getting the G2 covers.

·
Registered
174 Posts
@KUJayDoc why did you switch from G2 to AEV?
I was considering getting the G2 covers.
I never had anything wrong with the G2 covers, that is what was there when I bought it used. I just really like the AEV brand parts and already had the bumpers, tire carrier and mud flaps, so figured would like to keep as many aftermarket parts "matching." I'm also usually a sucker for the "best" materials, which in my mind, the most expensive items often fulfill that. Lame, I know

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the LubeLocker as well, no instruction on torque specs. I went on the low 18 ft/lb AEV recommendation (they say up to 22 ft/lb). Its been raining like crazy here, but I left some cardboard under my rig and have not yet noticed any leaks so far. If I do, then I know I can safely move up some at least.
An update: I initially went the lower end of torque specs, but about a month or two ago, had a very small couple of gear oil drips in my garage. Went to the torque max of 22 ft/lb and took care of the problem. I need to swap out my front, and will start there. Recommend the same if anyone uses the LubeLocker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts