Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this should be an easy one. I'm installing an AEV Fuel Caddy on my 16 Jeep. I also have the AEV rear bumper and tire carrier.

My questions are:
Step 4 of the instructions talk about installing the "P" clamp and securing it with the 5/16" bolt. In what hole does that bolt screw into??? I looked at where the tire carrier tube runs through the back of the fuel caddy. I can't find a hole nearby where this would work.

Step 6 says to reattach the turnbuckle linkage. It doesn't seem like I have enough clearance for the top nut of the linkage. It runs into the fuel carrier itself. The fuel carrier is mounted right. It doesn't move. I've attached a picture of the area I'm talking about. I drew a square around the area where the nut would secure the top portion of the turnbuckle.

Listed on the instruction sheet, there are (3) 1/2" threaded push nuts listed. Where in the installation instructions does it say to use these? I must have missed it.

The AEV rear bumper and tire carrier were on the Jeep previously. This is a recent addition. Hopefully, I've been pretty clear and this all makes sense.
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Directions here - http://www.aev-conversions.com/isheets/AEV_Fuel_Caddy.pdf

The P Clamp wraps around the upper of the two carrier bars and screws into the underside passenger-side corner of the Fuel Caddy.

I'm not sure what you're asking about the turnbuckle. You will have to extend the linkage somewhat and swing the carrier to align the holes for inserting the bolt. Your wheel and tire should be off the carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Ok, I looked over the instructions again after I had e mailed AEV Customer Support. First I would like to say that their support is great. They emailed me back shortly after I had emailed them. I didn't expect that.

Secondly..... It really does pay to read the instructions. Step 1 said to disconnect the linkage at the TAILGATE side of the turnbuckle. I did not do that. I disconnected the side with the tire carrier. I'll reconnect it this afternoon and disconnect the other side. Lesson learned.

San Juan, thanks for the photo. That helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did confirm how the carrier side turnbuckle bolt is installed on mine with the Fuel Caddy. Even though the tire carrier directions say that the turnbuckle bolt must be installed from the bottom - mine is actually installed from the top. Presumably to provide room in the limited space (the box in your photo) for the bolt head versus the nut and protruding threads.

I would check this and make sure it's set (with the stacked washers) or you'll have to remove the Fuel Caddy again in order to attach the turnbuckle correctly to the carrier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts