Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing around with my correction brackets now. It looks like the measured distance is about 6.75". My control arms were installed in the lower hole (5.5"-6.5") so I was thinking about moving my arms to the middle hole to see how ride quality is affected. Questions are:

Can I adjust this on the ground? (removing control arm and readjusting)

Would this affect my alignment? (i.e. would I need to have my Jeep aligned again?)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally I would never remove a control arm without supporting the frame with jack stands. Just not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You can do it on the ground as long as you're doing one at a time.

You'll need either a ratchet strap or a jack, or a helper turning the steering wheel in order to get the bolt lined back up afterwards.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
You're going to need to loosen all 8 control arm bolts then just swap holes on 1 side at a time but it can be done easily on the ground. You can use a protractor or anangle finder app on your phone to check caster and skip the alignment, if it feels worse just swap it back.

·
Super Moderator
22,034 Posts
I have done several and you can easily leave it on the ground and in fact makes it easy to do. You do not need to loosen any other bolts other than the one holding the control arm end you want to move. Should take about 10 minutes. If you have trouble having the hole line up (9 times out of 10 I do not have any issue it just falls in place) use your foot to push on the front tire while putting the bolt back in place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Personally I would never remove a control arm without supporting the frame with jack stands. Just not worth the risk.

·
Super Moderator
22,034 Posts

What risk? I am curious what could happen, the coils are holding the vehicle up and you have 3 other control arms. I have done it more times than I can count. both with geo brackets and replacing control arms.

·
Registered
21,742 Posts
Not to hijack..

Just installed new Rancho geo brackets earlier this evening on the ground.

One side at a time. The front axel might want to rotate over/under some, but its not much at all. If just swapping holes (one up/one down) should be a non issue.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Not to hijack..

Just installed new Rancho geo brackets earlier this evening on the ground.

One side at a time. The front axel might want to rotate over/under some, but its not much at all. If just swapping holes (one up/one down) should be a non issue.
Did you loosen all of the control arm bolts and remove the upper control arm, as the instructions describe? I need to install these myself, and was hoping I could get by with just removing the bolts on the frame side.

·
Registered
21,742 Posts
Did you loosen all of the control arm bolts and remove the upper control arm, as the instructions describe? I need to install these myself, and was hoping I could get by with just removing the bolts on the frame side.
Yes.

You have to remove the upper to get the bracket in. The upper frame side (factory mount) is a squared U. It will not drop from the bottom, hence the removal. I did the passenger side first (instruction say driver first), Because of the possible bolt cut. Apparently that is an issue on the 07-11 models. Non issue on my 14. Will say this, Drivers side will take longer, more crap in the way.

The New Nut and bolt kit are different sizes than the stock. Find out what you need first so you don't have to keep climbing out from underneath. Ask me how I know. :banghead:

Good luck.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yes.

You have to remove the upper to get the bracket in. The upper frame side (factory mount) is a squared U. It will not drop from the bottom, hence the removal. I did the passenger side first (instruction say driver first), Because of the possible bolt cut. Apparently that is an issue on the 07-11 models. Non issue on my 14. Will say this, Drivers side will take longer, more crap in the way.

The New Nut and bolt kit are different sizes than the stock. Find out what you need first so you don't have to keep climbing out from underneath. Ask me how I know. :banghead:

Good luck.

Thanks for the answer. I was hoping to skip steps because of how hard it is to get 125 lbs of torque while laying on the ground, lol. I installed an aev lift with brackets on my last Jeep. I remember that part being difficult. Especially on the driver side with said stuff in the way.

·
Registered
21,742 Posts
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping to skip steps because of how hard it is to get 125 lbs of torque while laying on the ground, lol. I installed an aev lift with brackets on my last Jeep. I remember that part being difficult. Especially on the driver side with said stuff in the way.

Yeah, the 125 sucked on the ground but I got it.

Another thing... After the bracket install on the pass. Side. I reattached the lower, then installed the upper. I couldn't get the bolt all the way in, but left it in place (axel rotation in a bind with the drivers side still in stock form) So I stopped and did the drivers side. After doing the drivers, the passenger upper bolt slid right in.

Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I think I'll give it a go then thanks

·
Registered
21,742 Posts
OP.

Hope you got your adjustment done with out issue.

Again, not to hijack the thread.....

Adding the Ranch geo brackets to my low inch and a half (netted 2-3/8ths) made a hell of an improvement in front end ride. Bumps and road imperfections are barely noticeable in the front-end.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts