Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the neighborhood so I stopped by the AEV testing facility and got the tour of the shop. I have to say the 4dr brute is the coolest thing on 4 wheels especially when they are sporting 37" tires and supercharged Hemi's. If I win the lottery I know what I am writting a check for. The conversions are so clean that it blows your mind. They said the hemi conversion was an easy swap and I got to say the engine bay did not look much more crowded then with the stock 3.6L. Said they got near the same mpg too. The AEV front and rear bumpers are an incredible work of art and all I can say is some day that would be the route I take. Here is something that suprised the crap out of me as I know these guys are hardcore wheelers and have put thier creations to the test but get this. I was asking about the crappy gearing in my jeep (3.21 with auto) and the guy said that with the 3.6L and an auto that they were good for up to 35" tires. He said with 33" he thought the 3.21's were great. He said the auto was much better then 6sp with the 3.6L in that regard and also said with the 3.6L there was not really the need for the hemi conversion.
Anyway they have a new 4dr brute with the big hemi conversion and a 60 dana rear axle that they are getting ready to show at the SEMA convention coming up so keep yours eyes peeled for that. Oh one other thing that suprised me but I suppose most already knew this but the sport and the rubicon have the same exact springs but the rubis have better shocks from the factory. I always thought the rubicons had beefier suspension but he said not on the JK's.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
AEV is just overpriced stuff. I have never seen any of there products on a "hardcore" rig. Let alone one that gets used.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Saw one with a Hemi in person when they came to a Jeep day at a dealer in Nova...and I was blown away. After I make my fortune, I am dropping by there first. ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Oh AEV haters ;) Anyways, wish I was close to one of these awesome businesses like AEV, or teraflex, or off road evolution. No wait, if that was the case I would be more broke than I am now. Maybe not such a good idea :rofl: . Might try to stop by AEV with my club on the way to moab in may. But its kinda out of the way :( Nevertheless, thanks for sharing! :thumb:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Moabrubi said:
AEV is just overpriced stuff. I have never seen any of there products on a "hardcore" rig. Let alone one that gets used.
Clearly you haven't read AEVs philosophy. They don't make parts for "hardcore" Jeeps. The point is a good all around vehicle. There are plenty of other overpriced companies out there that make hardcore stuff. And if you think AEV products don't get used, look through their forum.

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure they might not be the end all but they do stuff I don't or won't have the balls to try lol.
AEV Brute - YouTube

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Clearly you haven't read AEVs philosophy. They don't make parts for "hardcore" Jeeps. The point is a good all around vehicle. There are plenty of other overpriced companies out there that make hardcore stuff. And if you think AEV products don't get used, look through their forum.
Clearly you haven't read the original post otherwise you would have seen he said they were hardcore wheelers. I can make a vehicle from someone else than AEV that will be better at probably everything for way less. I had one of their oh so fancy bumpers on my TJ and for $619 that thing was a joke.

I was just trying to clear some things up about AEV products. They are definitely more for the overlandy guys.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good point Flint. I see AEV equipment as the makings for a good all around overland vehicle. I also like that AEV expresses that they are committed to making their products (with the exception of their wheels) here in the USA. While I respect trailered rigs that can climb a 48" wall, I have no interest in owning one until I win the lottery.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Moabrubi said:
So what do you run mister hardcore? LOL

I don't have any AEV gear, for the record, but I would like to someday. Everything made in America is more expensive than outsourced $hit. Their gear is for moderate and well built drive-to-the-trail rigs, not necessarily trailer queens.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I always thought the rubicons had beefier suspension but he said not on the JK's.
Rubicons have never had "beefed up suspension" over their 'standard' counterpart.

As for AEV, hardcore, and that whole discussion. It is possible to build a very 'hardcore' vehicle that drives great on the road (ie, doesn't get trailered), is comfortable as a DD, and can tackle anything you want to throw it at. I've built my personal TJ to be just that and I don't have a single AEV product on it. Hardcore to me = durability + function and strength by design and creativity. AEV has some cool stuff but in no way would I call their products hardcore. In fact, I would bet money that one could build a rig that falls under the 'hardcore' category and also happens to drive better than an AEV JK on the road.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
AEV has been at the top for quite some time now. I'm not hardcore in that I don't have a modified buggy but simply use (beat) my AEV Rubicon in Moab and Colorado several times each year. With the AEV equitpment I never have to worry about running trails that are mostly reserved for buggys and not suited to a Rubicon with 35" tires, I just go anyway. You can't break their stuff.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh, please describe the AEV suspension parts you broke, I would enjoy hearing the details.
Oh god, another AEV fanboy that got his feelings hurt because i gave my opinion about a company. Seriously? grow up! I don't care if you give your opinion about anyone else. I never said AEV parts were junk and would leave you stuck/broken while people with smittybilt products would pass you on the trail.

Read my above post and Imped's. That exactly what i was aiming towards. I'm sure that your AEV suspension works fine. But there is better stuff out there for cheaper. I gave my example of my $619 AEV bumper. I am much happier with what i have now, It is built better, designed better and can take way more abuse, even though its costs way less. Still made in America.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Oh god, another AEV fanboy that got his feelings hurt because i gave my opinion about a company. Seriously? grow up! I don't care if you give your opinion about anyone else. I never said AEV parts were junk and would leave you stuck/broken while people with smittybilt products would pass you on the trail.

Read my above post and Imped's. That exactly what i was aiming towards. I'm sure that your AEV suspension works fine. But there is better stuff out there for cheaper. I gave my example of my $619 AEV bumper. I am much happier with what i have now, It is built better, designed better and can take way more abuse, even though its costs way less. Still made in America.
That's what I thought.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
820 Posts
I haven't done a single mod yet.
But I'm doing all AEV stuff.
I like it.
I can afford it.
I will do it.
... and I will like it more
.... because I did it.

:D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
That's what I thought.
:rolleyes:
Yes it is what you thought.

You asked me suspension parts i broke. That is not even what I was talking about. I was talking about functionality. Please define a "broken suspension part." That isn't really an issue I've seen with any lift. (unless you count worn out bushings)

What buggy trails are you running in this Rubicon on 35's? Im interested to hear.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes it is what you thought.

You asked me suspension parts i broke. That is not even what I was talking about. I was talking about functionality. Please define a "broken suspension part." That isn't really an issue I've seen with any lift. (unless you count worn out bushings)

What buggy trails are you running in this Rubicon on 35's? Im interested to hear.

"trails that are mostly reserved for buggys and not suited to a Rubicon with 35" tires"

We ran a trail in Colorado two days ago called Iron Chest that is just south of Buena Vista. The machines that were on that trail were loud, big, V8 powered and had tires in excess of 40". It was great fun watching them bounce around but was more fun finding my way through with my little 35" tires and quite stock looking Rubicon. I'm not sure I would really enjoy the big loud rip and ram trails/vehicles all the time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts