Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the Pro Cal for my JKU, after putting the bigger tires on it the 321 gear ratio has trouble holding 6th gear when driving north on the freeway, will the Pro Cal help the shift points and hold OD ?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have a question about the Pro Cal for my JKU, after putting the bigger tires on it the 321 gear ratio has trouble holding 6th gear when driving north on the freeway, will the Pro Cal help the shift points and hold OD ?
The best thing for you to do is to disable O/D. You would have to re-gear to get the result you're looking for. The Procal doesn't actually change your shift points like you might think. It will correct your speedometer due to a change in tire size that you program in. You can also program a gear change; for example from 3.21 to 3.73. This will "correct" the shift points due to the tire/gear change. If you try and "trick" the system by entering an incorrect gear ratio you run the risk of the JK going into "limp mode". In fact, AEV specifically indicates not to do that. If you don't want to re-gear, switch out of O/D.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
if you have a 6speed you have a manual :).

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Just did the pro cal after a lift and tires with an auto. Not searching for gears as much as it was. And you can program it to turn your fogs on as a daytime running light. Safer and I like the looks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just did the pro cal after a lift and tires with an auto. Not searching for gears as much as it was. And you can program it to turn your fogs on as a daytime running light. Safer and I like the looks.
I have the Procal also. I agree with the above. Shift point are electronically altered only because now it knows how fast your actually going. So it helps going through the years. But you complaint about highway in top gear will not be fixed until you change the gears. By changing tire size you have done the equivalent of riding a 21 speed mountain bike in the grass in the 21st gear. Your legs won't push it and you will down shift. To put your jeep back in its power zone the gears have to compensate for the bigger tires.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I understand the gear ratio aspect, I have a trail rig TJ.. I also have an auto, tell me how to shut off overdrive?? No switch anyplace I can see. I know it's been running in 5th because I can put it in manual mode and see it then. also the only way I know of keeping it out of OD but once you get off highway have to remember to switch it back..

As for the larger tire part of this, The tires are not much larger at all, wider yes, paced it down the road with another vehicle and it seems to correct, I'll double check with GPS today.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
5th is your top gear. there is not a 6 speed auto, unless you have a new 2017 with 8 speed.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
With a manual transmission, the only shift points he can adjust are in the part of his brain that control his right arm and left leg.

ProCal doesn't have those settings...yet.
he said he has a 6 speed auto not manual.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with a manual transmission, the only shift points he can adjust are in the part of his brain that control his right arm and left leg.

Procal doesn't have those settings...yet.
it's not a manual! No answer on how to shut off the od???

Any 410's for sale? This things a dog. Can't imagine all the people with 35's and this gear ratio.. Cough cough putt putt.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When driving in manual mode, it shoes 5th gear then one more click to the right & it's in OD.

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,527 Posts
it's not a manual! No answer on how to shut off the od???

Any 410's for sale? This things a dog. Can't imagine all the people with 35's and this gear ratio.. Cough cough putt putt.
there are about a million threads stating that 3.21's suck even with 33's/

4.10's and 35's are on the edge but not terrible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts