Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will most likely be ordering this bad boy soon. I am curious about shift point adjusting. Most posts I searched for either didn't go into detail, or they were manual jeeps.

I have the 3.21 Automatic 2012, with 33's.

1. Will the AEV procal automatically adjust my shift points once I input tire size?

2. What exactly does adjusting my shift points even accomplish?

Am I correct in assuming, if I am currently going 60 at 18-1900 RPM's, adjusting my shift points will make my RPM's increase, for the same speed, thus reducing overall MPG? For the sake of power, or will the power reduce needed gas to maintain that speed?:confused:

If the above scenario is true, am I really only buying the ProCal for adjusting my speedo then, considering I would not want worse MPG?

I am just confused, and I could not locate these questions/answers anywhere. I guess I am trying to see if this is a purchase that would make sense, so looking for ay's or nay's too, or if someone see's my point.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No AEV auto owners? lol

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
IDK as I don't own a procal. I do know that it is a recalibration tool, not a tuner. It may only change shift points AFTER you regear. If you are ever going to lift and go 35's or bigger, consider a regear first and then use the procal.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I will most likely be ordering this bad boy soon. I am curious about shift point adjusting. Most posts I searched for either didn't go into detail, or they were manual jeeps.

I have the 3.21 Automatic 2012, with 33's.

1. Will the AEV procal automatically adjust my shift points once I input tire size?

You should input tire size (for speedo), and then input the values for your transmission. The two are linked in terms of compatibility and performance, but you have to input them individually.

2. What exactly does adjusting my shift points even accomplish?

Contrary to popular belief, it will NOT change your shift points to a gear ratio you do not have on your Jeep. For example, if you have 3.73 gears, you cannot program the shift points for 4.10's. Basically, it simply matches the INDIVIDUAL shift points with the tire size you're running to maximize the efficiency of your particular tire/gear combination.

Am I correct in assuming, if I am currently going 60 at 18-1900 RPM's, adjusting my shift points will make my RPM's increase, for the same speed, thus reducing overall MPG? For the sake of power, or will the power reduce needed gas to maintain that speed?:confused:

I have no idea. That's a question you need to ask AEV Dave or AEV Jordan directly, via phone or on their forum.

If the above scenario is true, am I really only buying the ProCal for adjusting my speedo then, considering I would not want worse MPG?

It'll adjust your speedo, your TPMS sensors, your DRL's, center your steering wheel after you install a lift, set a higher idle for winch use, etc, and clear diagnostic codes (basically, turn off an engine warning light).

I am just confused, and I could not locate these questions/answers anywhere. I guess I am trying to see if this is a purchase that would make sense, so looking for ay's or nay's too, or if someone see's my point.

As always, you should go to the source. Contact AEV to get the poop. If you want my opinion the Procal pays for itself in it's ability to recalibrate your speedo for tire size, change your idle speed, and adjust your TPMS sensors alone. Everything else is just gravy.

It's $150, man. Other than grab handles, and an individual slush mat, and a fire extinguisher, and a new shifter knob thingy, and...

OK. Do it or don't, dawg. Up to you.

Thanks for any input.
Almost forgot...Here's the link to AEV's proprietary forum, where all your questions should be answered more thoroughly.

American Expedition Vehicles - Product Forums - Powered by vBulletin

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
IDK as I don't own a procal. I do know that it is a recalibration tool, not a tuner. It may only change shift points AFTER you regear. If you are ever going to lift and go 35's or bigger, consider a regear first and then use the procal.

-Dan
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kb, I actually looked at regearing, just for future use, may let my warranty run first. Morris 4x4 has pretty good Jeep calculators, not sure if anyone saw that. They said my gearing should be around 3.91 for what I run and want.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks Kb, I actually looked at regearing, just for future use, may let my warranty run first. Morris 4x4 has pretty good Jeep calculators, not sure if anyone saw that. They said my gearing should be around 3.91 for what I run and want.
The Procal is a great tool, but other than tire size and TPMS settings, no substitute for your Jeep's long-term performance.

If you have 3.73's, and Morris is telling you to be at 3.91...don't do it. No-brainer, IMO. If it's not worth jumping a couple of gear sizes, at least, forget it. I currently have the same dilemma...I've got 3.73's with 35's, and have to decide btw 4.10's and 4.88's. Got a few months to figure it out, though.

Part of which goes against the advice I just gave you. C'est la vie. I'll be a guinea pig, if it comes to that.

Go 4.10's if you decide on regearing :)
See? This is what I gotta deal with. Unfortunately, it's good advice. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts