Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get one I think, since I run 35s, but have a couple of questions:

* Adjusting Shift Points: People have talked on here about how you can adjust shift points. The description online (AEV Conversions 30406007AB - AEV ProCal Module for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec) says that it can, among other things (i) recalibrate speedometer/odometer when you change tires; and (ii) "Axle gear ratio recalibration (Resets automatic transmission shift points to maximize the benefits of an axle gear ratio change)." Does that mean that you can only adjust your shift points if you regear? If not, does it adjust shift points based on tire size or something else?

* Steering Wheel Centering: The description says it "Provides for spot-on steering alignment." How does it do this? Does it physically change the steering wheel alignment?

Many thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm going to get one I think, since I run 35s, but have a couple of questions:

* Adjusting Shift Points: People have talked on here about how you can adjust shift points. The description online (AEV Conversions 30406007AB - AEV ProCal Module for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec) says that it can, among other things (i) recalibrate speedometer/odometer when you change tires; and (ii) "Axle gear ratio recalibration (Resets automatic transmission shift points to maximize the benefits of an axle gear ratio change)." Does that mean that you can only adjust your shift points if you regear? If not, does it adjust shift points based on tire size or something else?

* Steering Wheel Centering: The description says it "Provides for spot-on steering alignment." How does it do this? Does it physically change the steering wheel alignment?

Many thanks in advance for any answers.
You have to regear to change the shift points. It simply adjusts settings in your Jeep's computer to the new gear ratio.

You still have to manually align your steering wheel. The Procal tells you where the steering is via the turn signal lamps. When you get it dead center, both turn signals and the highbeam light will flash.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
kbwwolf said:
You have to regear to change the shift points. It simply adjusts settings in your Jeep's computer to the new gear ratio.

You still have to manually align your steering wheel. The Procal tells you where the steering is via the turn signal lamps. When you get it dead center, both turn signals and the highbeam light will flash.
That's awesome. Took us 2 attempts to recenter my steering, not bad I guess.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, just to clarify, the ProCal won't affect how your vehicle drives (shift points or anything else) at all in the absense of regearing? It just changes your odometer and speedo readings?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
The description online (AEV Conversions 30406007AB - AEV ProCal Module for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec) says that it can, among other things (i) recalibrate speedometer/odometer when you change tires; and (ii) "Axle gear ratio recalibration (Resets automatic transmission shift points to maximize the benefits of an axle gear ratio change)." Does that mean that you can only adjust your shift points if you regear? If not, does it adjust shift points based on tire size or something else?
Also, just to clarify, the ProCal won't affect how your vehicle drives (shift points or anything else) at all in the absense of regearing? It just changes your odometer and speedo readings?
As I understand it, no, a regear is not necessary to adjust shift points with a ProCal. In fact, not getting a regear but using a ProCal to "tell" the Jeep that you did is a way to (sort of) simulate a regear electronically.

Basically, use the ProCal to tell your jeep that you've got really deep gears even when you don't. For example, tell the jeep you've got 5.38s even though you've got 3.73s. The consequence (at least pre-2012) as I understand it is that the Jeep's computer will allow you to spin much higher RPMs before shifting--after all, if you really did have 5.38s and the jeep kept it's old RPM shift points you'd run out of transmission gears by the time you got up to speed.

There was somebody on here a while ago with a 3.8 jeep and an auto trans that did exactly that. What they saw was that the numerically higher they told the jeep their gear ratio was, the higher and higher the jeep would allow the RPMs to go before upshifting. So (and I'm making these numbers up) where they typically upshifted at around 2200 RPMs and 40 mph under normal conditions, they would instead do that same upshift when they were at 2500 RPMs and 47 mph after "fooling" their computer with a ProCal.

You basically hang on to transmission gears a little longer before the upshifts, yielding higher RPMs and therefore more power. One of you 2012ers out there with a ProCal ought to try it (*cough* *cough* kbbwolf . . . .)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
One of you 2012ers out there with a ProCal ought to try it (*cough* *cough* kbbwolf . . . .)
I'd have tried it by now...except I've got a manual. :D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts