Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Jeep is making noise on rear suspension and dealer told me suspension needs to be re-torqued. I have never worked on suspension and dealer wants $450 to tighten.
What do I need to tighten up?
I have a torque wrench and the sockets needed.
It only makes noise when backing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
just some muscle. 120-125ft/lbs for the rear control arms upper and lower and front lowers. front uppers need to be at 75-80 ft/lbs.front track bar 120/125 and same with rear track bar. lower shocks bolts some where around 55-60ft/lbs same with rear lower shock mounts and swaybar links 50ish. go to the AEV website and you can download the lift install instructions and they will tell you the torq values needed.

Reactions: DIRT BOY

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just some muscle. 120-125ft/lbs for the rear control arms upper and lower and front lowers. front uppers need to be at 75-80 ft/lbs.front track bar 120/125 and same with rear track bar. lower shocks bolts some where around 55-60ft/lbs same with rear lower shock mounts and swaybar links 50ish. go to the AEV website and you can download the lift install instructions and they will tell you the torq values needed.

Thanks. So guess just look for the bolts and tighten up. Figured but not sure of anything special needed. Dealer wanted $450!
Guess they are billing 4 hours of labor.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Thanks. So guess just look for the bolts and tighten up. Figured but not sure of anything special needed. Dealer wanted $450!

That's insane. It will take you an hour. 2 if you were clueless about Jeep suspension.

Control arms, track bars, done. Unless you want to hit up other things too.

Just have to have a big enough torque wrench and room to swing it. Just make sure to torque it with all wheels on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the AEV it uses stock control arms, but I guess can’t hurt to check.
Yes I know nothing about the suspension in a sense. Well guess I know what those parts are.

Yeah, bought a large TW a while back and will try this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
With the AEV it uses stock control arms, but I guess can’t hurt to check.
Yes I know nothing about the suspension in a sense. Well guess I know what those parts are.

Yeah, bought a large TW a while back and will try this weekend.

stock arms loosen up. I retorque mine every 5000 miles or so. If you have geo brackets they most likely will be loose if you don't retorq them. It is so common when someone has loose handling issue that the front track bar is loose. shudder on a dip in the road, control arms loose. Does not matter what lift they need to have torq checked at normal intervals.

·
Registered
619 Posts
While your at it get a paint pen and draw a stripe across the bolt head and nut down to the frame or whatever after you retighten each bolt. That way at a quick glance you can see if it has come loose next time you check

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
stock arms loosen up. I retorque mine every 5000 miles or so. If you have geo brackets they most likely will be loose if you don't retorq them. It is so common when someone has loose handling issue that the front track bar is loose. shudder on a dip in the road, control arms loose. Does not matter what lift they need to have torq checked at normal intervals.
They do. Or at least I think so. My dad had a stock suspension 5.9L ZJ back when he was still alive. Several go fast mods but still stock suspension. He would ask me to take the time to retorque everything for him about every 10-15k or so, and he always said it felt a ton better once I did it. He was an ex-Porsche race instructor so I feel his input means something must have changed over those 10-15k miles which was remedied by tightening everything back up to spec.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Of which they will spend 30 minutes total and torque 1/2 the bolts that need it. Do it yourself and follow AEV's instructions. You won't RIP yourself off but they will!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
While your at it get a paint pen and draw a stripe across the bolt head and nut down to the frame or whatever after you retighten each bolt. That way at a quick glance you can see if it has come loose next time you check
This. When I had my gears done Northridge 4X4 did this with all my bolts. 3 year later no movement at all.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I will work on it this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everything seems tight as hell to me. Seems to make a clunking noise when turning to the left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts