Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the AEV tire carrier on my 2015 Hard Rock. Pretty easy install, just follow the directions. Took about 3 hours by myself. You do need to undo the 4 bolts that go through the trailer hitch in order to remove the Hard Rock bumper.

You do have to eliminate the passenger side tow hook in order to install this tire carrier. It is super strong and very solid.

I also installed the AEV Hi-Lift jack carrier mount. Also a super simple bolt-on. I did mount mine as far to the right as it would go so the jack clears the rear window when its open. I also drilled a couple of holes so I could use a bike padlock to keep the jack from walking away.

I cut 3" off of the length of the 48" Hi-Lift jack so the main body is the same length as the handle. I did this so nothing sticks up higher than the roof line to snag a branch, plus, this way you cant screw up and break your rear window if you leave it up and then close the tire carrier. If you don't shorten it, you cant close the carrier with the window open without breaking the window.

I also used the 3rd brake light off of the OEM tire carrier. Cut it off flush at the bottom of the light itself. I mounted it to a small piece of aluminum plat using a couple of 1" x 1" aluminum angles that I pop riveted to the aluminum plate and to the backside of the light housing. This way you can avoid spending $50 on the AEV brake light kit which only works well with AEV wheels. Plus you cant use a tire cover with it. You will need to add about 18" of wire to the harness that goes from the brake light to the plug inside the rear tailgate.

I also added a grade 8 1/2" bolt to the bumper with the head cut off to act as a stop for the tire carrier. Otherwise, with the jack mounted, you could crack your passenger side rear tail light if you aren't careful.

I also included a picture of how I mounted the Powertank and fire extinguisher in the rear.

The rest is pretty straight forward. 3.5" AEV lift with drop brackets, 35" Toyo AT2's on stock Rubicon rims with 2" spacer. Maxxus winch mount & stinger for Warn 10S winch. 4.56 gears, Poison Spyder diff covers going on next front & rear along with the AEV rear diff skid plate.

The grab handles were the best investment ever. $100 for the front set, install takes about 20 minutes max and the wife loves them (me too but don't tell anyone).

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice Rig.
I am looking at putting the AEV 3.5 lift on my Hard Rock when it comes in. What is the total height of the jeep now. Trying to see if it will still be able to make it in my garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice Rig.
I am looking at putting the AEV 3.5 lift on my Hard Rock when it comes in. What is the total height of the jeep now. Trying to see if it will still be able to make it in my garage.
From the ground to the high point 5" behind the windshield, it is 75". At the rear, at the highest point it is 76.5".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see you are still using the original wheels with the 35's. Any issues with that? did you need to use spacers?

Just putting together my build list as mine is one a week old. Looking at a 3" lift at this point.
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm out of the US currently. Yes, I used the stock wheels with the 35's by using 2" spacers. This is a less expensive solution to get started. This way your TPMS still works fine and there are no rubbing issues. The downside if you wheel the hard stuff is, they arent beadlocks so you cant air down below 15 psi.

I will probably buy a set of steel beadlock rims and 37's and only put them on for the harder trails.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maxxus, got the winch mount and stinger from them so everything fits nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Two questions:

1. Can you buy the spacers at Discount Tire? If not, then where and who installs?
2. Are the grab handles are to install?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just installed the AEV tire carrier on my 2015 Hard Rock. Pretty easy install, just follow the directions. Took about 3 hours by myself. You do need to undo the 4 bolts that go through the trailer hitch in order to remove the Hard Rock bumper.

You do have to eliminate the passenger side tow hook in order to install this tire carrier. It is super strong and very solid.

I also installed the AEV Hi-Lift jack carrier mount. Also a super simple bolt-on. I did mount mine as far to the right as it would go so the jack clears the rear window when its open. I also drilled a couple of holes so I could use a bike padlock to keep the jack from walking away.

I cut 3" off of the length of the 48" Hi-Lift jack so the main body is the same length as the handle. I did this so nothing sticks up higher than the roof line to snag a branch, plus, this way you cant screw up and break your rear window if you leave it up and then close the tire carrier. If you don't shorten it, you cant close the carrier with the window open without breaking the window.

I also used the 3rd brake light off of the OEM tire carrier. Cut it off flush at the bottom of the light itself. I mounted it to a small piece of aluminum plat using a couple of 1" x 1" aluminum angles that I pop riveted to the aluminum plate and to the backside of the light housing. This way you can avoid spending $50 on the AEV brake light kit which only works well with AEV wheels. Plus you cant use a tire cover with it. You will need to add about 18" of wire to the harness that goes from the brake light to the plug inside the rear tailgate.

I also added a grade 8 1/2" bolt to the bumper with the head cut off to act as a stop for the tire carrier. Otherwise, with the jack mounted, you could crack your passenger side rear tail light if you aren't careful.

I also included a picture of how I mounted the Powertank and fire extinguisher in the rear.

The rest is pretty straight forward. 3.5" AEV lift with drop brackets, 35" Toyo AT2's on stock Rubicon rims with 2" spacer. Maxxus winch mount & stinger for Warn 10S winch. 4.56 gears, Poison Spyder diff covers going on next front & rear along with the AEV rear diff skid plate.

The grab handles were the best investment ever. $100 for the front set, install takes about 20 minutes max and the wife loves them (me too but don't tell anyone).
Just curious, did you need to source a new adjustment bolt when using the Rubicon wheel on the AEV tire carrier? If so what length?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts