Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has driven/ridden on both the AEV and MC lifts and could comment on the on road ride comfort? If it specifically matters I'm comparing the MC 2.5 with the ARB shocks to the AEV 2.5. I'm thinking of changing my lift up now that I've refocused my build from rock crawling to overland style after I put my MC lift on 4 years ago. Also since my rig spends 90%+ of its time on road I'm trying to "plush it up" a bit (more for the wife but also for me due to some recent back issues).

If I did swap it would be mostly to get the springs/shocks from AEV and I'd "frankenlift" it keeping my full set of front CA's and trackbar from MC, brake lines, etc though I'd use AEV's rear trackbar mount. I might even grab drop brackets since I know the MC arms will collapse enough (at least the lowers can match stock).

Anyone have any thoughts? Or maybe suggestions for other brands to look at? There's no rush this won't happen until about a year from now if it does because I won't have that kind of $$$ until then after paying the Jeep off in March. Just kind of looking around to see what I might change up to if anything.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the ride of my MC better than the AEV. I ran a light Jeep and the AEV was really stiff to me.
Thanks, yeah that was a concern I had. That it would be worse like that since I know overlanding tends to = a lot of weight from gear and the AEV springs might be set for that. Sounds so far like sticking with the MC coils is better then. They've handled all the gear I've thrown at them, and it does ride nice when loaded up, it's just the day to day stuff when it's unloaded. I thought about just putting in some Rancho 9000's but someone told me you'd apparently have to run them on the lowest setting to compare to the ARB shocks in my lift. (apparently MC told them that)

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
@flyinion

Consider a set of the Eibach springs. They are 3.5" for both 4dr and 2dr... But, if you wanted 2.5 on a 4dr, you could use the 3.5 2dr springs. Why those? Because they are the exact same spring rates as stock. If you paired with the Rancho 9000XL shocks you can get stock like smooth yet controlled ride.

Allen @AOR can put that together for you.

https://www.allensoffroad.com/Eibach-JK-3.5in-Coil-Springs?search=eibach

Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@flyinion

Consider a set of the Eibach springs. They are 3.5" for both 4dr and 2dr... But, if you wanted 2.5 on a 4dr, you could use the 3.5 2dr springs. Why those? Because they are the exact same spring rates as stock. If you paired with the Rancho 9000XL shocks you can get stock like smooth yet controlled ride.

Allen @AOR can put that together for you.

https://www.allensoffroad.com/Eibach-JK-3.5in-Coil-Springs?search=eibach
Interesting, how will those handle mild to moderate off-road stuff? I've heard of their springs for sports cars and such but never heard them mentioned in this arena.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Interesting, how will those handle mild to moderate off-road stuff? I've heard of their springs for sports cars and such but never heard them mentioned in this arena.
They got some decent initial press, but the general feeling here and elsewhere was the kit was too much $$ for what you got. The springs are a deal though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coe7H-nj2f4

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
The thing you are going to have to consider for overlanding is how heavy your Jeep is going to get. My last trip I was at 5800 lbs. I do know that MC springs can handle the weight, I am not sure others can. MC runs a heavy spring and a light shock. The only way to plush it up is with weight.

Reactions: Heavy-Metal

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I am a converted AEV fan boy. I can say I love my AEV 3.5" lift. I also have installed a metal Cloak gc with ome shocks on my buddy's 16 jkur. A month ago I needed to him to drive my wrangler 220 miles for me. When he was done he commented that mine rode way smoother than his. I have spent a lot of miles in his as well and I will say his is awesome but mine does handle better on the twisty Montana roads. I can tell you I would not trade straight across my AEV 3.5" for a Metal Cloak 3.5" and if something happened to my jeep tomorrow and insurance was buying me a new one it would get an aev lift again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did a lot of research (way,way to much) and was sold on either aev or jks 3.5 in lift, both drove really good, aev was a little better, but with that said I ended up get the M.C 3.5 gamechanger with rock sports and all I can say is wow, not sure if mine just went together that good or what, but it drives night and day better than stock Andy or sure better then either aev or jks. Kinda crazy because it is way overkill for my needs, but wow! It drives amazing

For what it's worth, The guys that installed my lift said it went together better than any lift they had done

·
Registered
788 Posts
Dont waste your money on the ARB Edition, the OME shocks are crap if your actually going to wheel them. Ive put maybe 3k miles and 10 trips through the Rubicon in 3 years, and their completely shot. Everything else in the MC kit is amazing, id look at the Rock Sport edition instead

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont waste your money on the ARB Edition, the OME shocks are crap if your actually going to wheel them. Ive put maybe 3k miles and 10 trips through the Rubicon in 3 years, and their completely shot. Everything else in the MC kit is amazing, id look at the Rock Sport edition instead

Just to be clear, I've already had the ARB edition True Dual Rate kit from MC for about 4 years now, just thinking of changing up the springs and/or shocks to try and plush the ride out a bit when not loaded up. I thought about putting Rancho 9000's in but after hearing I might have to run them on 1 to get the same performance as the ARB shocks that kind of shut that idea down.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I am a converted AEV fan boy. I can say I love my AEV 3.5" lift. I also have installed a metal Cloak gc with ome shocks on my buddy's 16 jkur. A month ago I needed to him to drive my wrangler 220 miles for me. When he was done he commented that mine rode way smoother than his. I have spent a lot of miles in his as well and I will say his is awesome but mine does handle better on the twisty Montana roads. I can tell you I would not trade straight across my AEV 3.5" for a Metal Cloak 3.5" and if something happened to my jeep tomorrow and insurance was buying me a new one it would get an aev lift again.
Almost sounded like a 12 step intro. :) All the AEV Jeeps
I've driven were quite good. The whole lift "thing" is practically maddening.
I finally made a decision based on height and the shocks... We'll see.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Just to be clear, I've already had the ARB edition True Dual Rate kit from MC for about 4 years now, just thinking of changing up the springs and/or shocks to try and plush the ride out a bit when not loaded up. I thought about putting Rancho 9000's in but after hearing I might have to run them on 1 to get the same performance as the ARB shocks that kind of shut that idea down.
Yep that is what everyone wants but is almost impossible to get. If you want you lift height to be as advertised when load you end up with a heavy spring and a light shock, aka MC. If you want a good ride but start to lose lift as it gets loaded up you have a light spring with a heavy shock.

I think @Pressurized is on to something though if you don't mind more lift when empty. If you requirement when loaded is 2.5 inches a spring that is 3.5 inches empty plus a plush ride might be the ticket. It is really going to come down to how much the springs are going to squat when loaded. And an adjustable shock will be a must, as weight goes up you are going to need to turn the shocks up.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I've ridden OME's, but never owned them. But I don't really think that 9000XL's need to be at 1 to match them. My experience with 9000XL's was that 1 is really soft. I liked them set at 3...

Yep that is what everyone wants but is almost impossible to get. If you want you lift height to be as advertised when load you end up with a heavy spring and a light shock, aka MC. If you want a good ride but start to lose lift as it gets loaded up you have a light spring with a heavy shock.

I think @Pressurized is on to something though if you don't mind more lift when empty. If you requirement when loaded is 2.5 inches a spring that is 3.5 inches empty plus a plush ride might be the ticket. It is really going to come down to how much the springs are going to squat when loaded. And an adjustable shock will be a must, as weight goes up you are going to need to turn the shocks up.
I'm running the RK springs and when I load, I lose a full 1". I added the RK coil wedges and a 3/4" spacer to compensate. So I have a little rake now unloaded which isn't my favorite look, but I'm used to it. The weight in back isn't the issue, it's the trailer tongue weight of almost 300lbs.

But like my wife has said... We tow and adventure about 5% of the time. Make it good for the 95% and acceptable for the 5%. Which is often not how we build Jeeps. We usually build for the 5% and just have to accept what we have for the 95%...

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
You can expect the springs to compress as much as the factory ones do. The spring rates for the Eibach coils are those of a Sahara. They are just longer. Spring rates below.

122lbs or 21.40n/mm in the front
166lbs or 29.20n/mm in the rear

These might be good for the JK using the JKU coils for an overlander. However, the increased height when not loaded may be a concern. For overland setups, you should really go to a progressive coil. Just so you know, the 3.5" lift height is for factory Sahara or Sport trim. So any existing aftermarket equipment will reduce lift height prior to loading for the trip. Moderate add-on built rig with their proper designated coils will net 2-2.5" lift. Can't beat the price though right. Coils here. Rancho shocks here. Add to cart for pricing on the shocks. PM if you would like a package put together with caster correction etc.

Have a great day!

Allen

Thanks @Pressurized for the mention. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
You can expect the springs to compress as much as you factory ones do. The spring rates for the Eibach coils are those of a Sahara. They are just longer. Spring rates below.

122lbs or 21.40n/mm in the front

166lbs or 29.20n/mm in the rear

These might be good for the JK using the JKU coils for an overlander. However, the increased height when not loaded may be a concern. For overland setups, you should really go to a progressive coil. Just so you know, the 3.5" lift height is for factory Sahara or Sport trim. So any existing aftermarket equipment will reduce lift height prior to loading for the trip. Moderate add-on built rig with their proper designated coils will net 2-2.5" lift. Can't beat the price though right. Coils here. Rancho shocks here. Add to cart for pricing on the shocks. PM if you would like a package put together with caster correction etc.

Have a great day!

Allen

Thanks @Pressurized for the mention. :thumb:

Can also add spacers too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 52 Posts