Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys newbie jeep owner here,

I have a 2013 2 dr jk with the stock 17 wheels. I'm wanting to put some AEV Pintler wheels on it. The wheels are 17x8.5 with 5.2 backspacing.

I plan to keep the SRAs for a while and put some 265/70/17 Duratracs when the time comes.

I don't plan to lift. I'm just wondering if this is a good set up so the tires won't rub and still have good handling.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
Those are really nice wheels, I would get 285/70/17s instead of 265/70/17s, they look better and fit with no issues.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have 5 Pintlers on their way to me from Qtec, and 5 Duratrac 285/70/17's on the way from DTD. Keep in mind this will be an expensive combo, and will be a D-rated tire.

I'll post the results in a little over a week after they are installed and I have some time driving them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
MacCTD said:
Those are really nice wheels, I would get 285/70/17s instead of 265/70/17s, they look better and fit with no issues.
I'm trying to decide between the 265 and 285. My primary concern is in road manners. Want to know how much difference between the 265 c 265 e and the 285 d. By on road manners I want it to handle as well as possible in rain and snow. Love to hear the feedback of the op on his new 265 setup

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the 285 duratracs installed yesterday and they feel pretty good so far. No snow here ever but we get a ton if rain in the summer, so we'll see. There are quite a few comments floating around on the forum about how great they are as an all around tire. I love how they look for sure.

On a side note, I have 3.21 gears and I'm very glad that I didn't go any bigger because I can feel the difference just going up to these.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the 265 and 285. My primary concern is in road manners. Want to know how much difference between the 265 c 265 e and the 285 d. By on road manners I want it to handle as well as possible in rain and snow. Love to hear the feedback of the op on his new 265 setup
I have 285/70/17s on stock wheels, Toyo Open Country ATs, they are P rated just like stock and about the same weight. I a '12 have 3.73 gears, the performance is still very good.

·
Registered
937 Posts
ronrad said:
Go 285! I have 285/75/17 KM2's on AEV Pintlers. My speedo is only off 3.5 mph, so F the procal reflash--I'll just do the speed limit. If anything, I'd say go bigger, like 305's, but from what I remember, the speedo will be off more like 5 or 6 mph...

·
Registered
153 Posts
I want to get the savegres myself anyone know any website with good tire wheel packages? Want to try to bundle it all together to save on freight and possibly package deal.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Go 285! I have 285/75/17 KM2's on AEV Pintlers. My speedo is only off 3.5 mph, so F the procal reflash--I'll just do the speed limit. If anything, I'd say go bigger, like 305's, but from what I remember, the speedo will be off more like 5 or 6 mph...
I got the Procal when I got my 285s, I have an automatic and it seemed quicker once set it for the tire size, my JK came with the 16" wheels that around 28" tall so it was a big jump to the 285s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have 5 Pintlers on their way to me from Qtec, and 5 Duratrac 285/70/17's on the way from DTD. Keep in mind this will be an expensive combo, and will be a D-rated tire.

I'll post the results in a little over a week after they are installed and I have some time driving them.
Cool I'd definitely like to see that. Yeah I checked out the 285/70/17 but I'm not interested in a D-rated tire. I'll probably be more on road then off so I'd prefer a C-rated tire and that's offered in the 265/70/17. I did have a change of heart though and plan to get a teraflex leveling kit. I just hope that the 265's don't look too small with the level lift. I've read some other forums on it and I think the lift came out to 1.5" total.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey guys newbie jeep owner here,

I have a 2013 2 dr jk with the stock 17 wheels. I'm wanting to put some AEV Pintler wheels on it. The wheels are 17x8.5 with 5.2 backspacing.

I plan to keep the SRAs for a while and put some 265/70/17 Duratracs when the time comes.

I don't plan to lift. I'm just wondering if this is a good set up so the tires won't rub and still have good handling.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks
I have the Pintlers in Argent color with 35" BFG All Terrain T/A KO's on my 2012 JKU Sport with 3.73 gears and automatic. No real issues with power with this new drivetrain. 285 is a better choice and GY Duratracs are an awesome tire. Best mod you can do is the AEV 2.5" XT Dual sport lift with Bilstien shocks. It will make your Jeep handle better than you will ever need on the road and off. I know you said you did not want to lift but it is such a difference in handling that I will not drive one without AEV suspension underneath it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I ended up trying 265 on xd crank 17 I like the looks. And they

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Jeep

are 10 lbs lighter per tire than the 285. I've only driven back from.the tire place so no real impressions yet. About as quiet as stock maybe a little more vibration but I think they over inflated haven't checked yet though

·
Registered
176 Posts
I bought AEV Pintlers as well. I went with Cooper AT3, LT275/70R17 tires with a "C" load range. Everything larger has a D or E load range, so rougher ride. It's a top rated all terrain tire. Quiet on road and provides a comfortable ride. No worries about rubbing. If you're not planning on lifting like me, I thought it was the perfect wheel/tire combo for my CG JKU Sport S.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I bought AEV Pintlers as well. I went with Cooper AT3, LT275/70R17 tires with a "C" load range. Everything larger has a D or E load range, so rougher ride. It's a top rated all terrain tire. Quiet on road and provides a comfortable ride. No worries about rubbing. If you're not planning on lifting like me, I thought it was the perfect wheel/tire combo for my CG JKU Sport S.
Toyo makes the Open Country AT in a P285/70/17, great tire, I have a set and have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
467 Posts
While I try to support US companies as much as possible, it's hard not to support companies with great products, and Toyo is one of them

·
Registered
260 Posts
Had them mounted last Saturday. Haven't had a chance to take them offroad much yet, or take a longer trip to figure out the mileage reduction. They grab fine onroad, and have very little to no road noise increase when new. Will post back when I know more, but here's the pics for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
how was the install on the warn bumper?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Those look awesome buster. I like the look. Are you running a lift or is stock height?
I have the Teraflex Performance Leveling Kit. It's actually a 1.5" spring lift, and I think it matches 33's perfectly. You could do pucks, but I have a heavy bumper and winch, and plan on adding a rear bumper later.

how was the install on the warn bumper?
Not terrible, but I had some issues. I have them listed in another post with details and pictures. All in all, issues aside I love the bumper. Here's the quotes from my earlier posts. If you'd like more details, shoot me a pm and I'd be happy to elaborate.

Sunday I spent the second half of the day putting on the bumper. There were a bunch of little problems that took way longer than it should. Removing the plastic screws with plastic grommets from the air dam is a much bigger pain than you'd imagine, they strip too easily. The 8 bumper mount holes to the frame didn't line up quite right, nothing that a little elongation didn't fix after several iterations of test fitting, grinding, test fitting. Relocating the vacuum pump was a snap, quick and easy with a sawzall.

The biggest issue was one of the nuts welded inside of the bumper had bad threading, and I had to run out and get a course thread 7/16" tap to fix it with no bumper on the Jeep and a ton of wires hanging. After a ride from a good neighbor and another hour's time, bumper was mounted just in time for bed! Winch and fog lights today.
After my install, I had a similar writeup in the "what did you do to your JK today" thread. A helper would be ideal, but I didn't have a dedicated one. I borrowed my wife for 10 min to help hold it while I lined things up.

1) Vacuum canister bracket lasted 13 seconds with a cordless reciprocating saw and a cheapy lowes generic metal blade. Grind edges round with a dremel. The longest part was finding suitable paint in the garage to coat the raw edges.

2) This was a pain, the hole wasn't too small for the bolt in my case, but wasn't exactly lined up. It was one hole in the frame (I can't remember which) but I kept hitting it with a dremel and grinding wheel to get it just to fit, but no slop.

3) This was where my wife came in handy. I had one side on, and just had her hold it on while I crawled under and lined up the other side with my hands and knees. I bit of griping and groaning, and it went in.

My biggest problem with the bumper, was I had a badly threaded mounting bolt and nut. I had to run out and pick up a tap and die to clean up the threading in order to get it on. It was only one, the others were perfect. I wonder if the bolt got bumped in shipping or something, and threading the nut on once trashed the nut.

It took me a few hours, but I was working by myself. It was well worth it. Great bumper, 9.5cti sits perfectly in it, and offers great front end protection without looking home made.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts