Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just received the AFE full system with the cat back exhaust that moves the muffler under the driver's door, and their Cold air intake and y pipe.

This post is a little pre mature because the exhaust is still in boxes, but I wanted to start the thread so you guys could subscribe as I go through the testing.

Here is the plan, and if anyone has a better one, let me know.

Im going to dyno stock, and then install the Cold air intake, and see what the change is before adding the exhaust. Many of you may do the intake without the exhaust and I figure thats the way to help the team with decisions in the future.

AFE shows a dyno on their site for their cold air intake but its on a truck that already has their exhaust on it. So getting answers with the factory exhaust makes a difference (i think).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds good.

Do you best to replicate the ambient air conditions!

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Very much appreciated :thumb:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm definitely interested in your dyno results.

I have the aFe hi-tuck cat-back and y-pipe, but I don't have a CAI. I added the y-pipe to get the crossover out of the way when I lifted my Jeep. I added the exhaust to remove the large stock muffler that was asking to be dented or torn off when offroading. The smaller aFe muffler also gave me more room to move my swaybar back an inch. My RK lift moved my rear axle back an inch and the swaybar had to move with it. The stock muffler was in the way.

I was curious if just the exhaust added any power, but at least your test will give us more information than what aFe has already provided. Thanks.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any reason you chose the pre-oiled filter over the oil-free version?

The guy at afe told me the oiled filter was his first choice for overall performance, and that the un-oiled version was kept on for people who were against the oiled filters.

I had asked for the unoiled version to start with but the guy I talked to seemed like he knew better and told me that he runs his jeep off road with the oiled filter and keeps a dry filter spare in case the oiled one gets gummed up.

I had reservations about the oiled filter as it will be fine at first, but when I have to clean and re-oil it, I think I may have problems. I liked the idea of the dry filter because who can screw that up?

Maybe I'll buy the unoiled filter and do a comparison as well.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are some pics of the parts without the box wrapped around them.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
It looks like the y-pipe that you are using will eliminate the exhaust loop on the driver's side. I will be interesting to see how the dyno numbers compare.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake? The CAI should be an easier install. Have you considered an ecu tune to take full advantage of the better breathing? Either way I'm interested in the results, thanks for sharing.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the y-pipe that you are using will eliminate the exhaust loop on the driver's side. I will be interesting to see how the dyno numbers compare.

I may have posted the wrong picture, the ehaust loop will stay intact. I didnt want to change it, I thought it was cool that chrysler went out of their way to make those tubes the same length.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake? The CAI should be an easier install. Have you considered an ecu tune to take full advantage of the better breathing? Either way I'm interested in the results, thanks for sharing.

I wasnt going to dyno the exhaust with the stock intake, as i was going to do the intake first.

Unless you guys insist on it, I think im paying 50 bucks per dyno run after the initial set up. ($175) so if you guys want to know how it runs post and ill do it if its not too much of a pain in the neck.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I would like to add my name to the growing list of thread subscribers at this time.

1 - 20 of 323 Posts