Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface:

1.) Many of you prefer stock and that's great, but i don't, so let's avoid the whole "stick with stock" commentary please and thank you. lol

2.) Exhaust tone is highly subjective. I'm interested in a lower, warmer, audible tone, not too loud and not ricey. So far, i'm close.

3.) There's a huge difference between audible exhaust, and drone. Drone is when the exhaust unit reaches a resonant frequency, boosting the volume at that frequency (hightly irritating).

Here's the situation:

I have the aFe 49-48055 which sounds good overall, however it has some drone at the 1,500 - 2,000 RPM range. It sounds great aside from the drone during that RPM range, so i'd prefer not to muffle down the whole system. Also, the high-clearance of this current system is fantastic.

My options are:

A) My local exhaust shop said they'll weld in a resonator at 90° to the pipe that will reduce the drone for $100. This might work, but if it doesn't i might be screwed.

B) Exchange for another aFe with a similar muffler that is 4" longer for an aditional $80 or so. aFe says this "might" solve the drone. Currently waiting to here from 4WheelParts and aFe to see if this is even possible.

C) I can replace the 14" aFe muffler with a bigger, longer Magnaflow muffler and weld it in line for about $100.

Given your experience, what option sounds best?

My Rig:
3.8L
Automatic
2 Door (2 Doors have a shorter exhaust system)
Flahspaq Performance Tune

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I have a similarly designed MBRP on my 2013 4 door and it drones bad too. And sounds horrible during acceleration. Funny thing is, I had the same system on my 2011 4 door and loved the way it sounded. The differences being that my 2011 was manual and that system was full stainless, whereas my 2013 is auto and this system is aluminized steel.

The longer muffler likely won't make a difference. A different style (baffled vs. straight through) would probably give you the best results. I think the resonator would be somewhere in between.

I'm interested in what you do and the results as I will be doing something with mine too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a similarly designed MBRP on my 2013 4 door and it drones bad too. And sounds horrible during acceleration. Funny thing is, I had the same system on my 2011 4 door and loved the way it sounded. The differences being that my 2011 was manual and that system was full stainless, whereas my 2013 is auto and this system is aluminized steel.

The longer muffler likely won't make a difference. A different style (baffled vs. straight through) would probably give you the best results. I think the resonator would be somewhere in between.

I'm interested in what you do and the results as I will be doing something with mine too.
Thanks NTXJK. Yeah, I'm learning that exhaust is much more complex, counterintuitive and unpredictable than it seems.

I previously had the 49-08041 model from aFe with a big, offset muffler in it, assuming it would be the most quiet out of the high-tuck style systems....NOPE that thing was a DRONE MACHINE. Very loud and all drone. Avoid that one like the plague.

Another possibility is making my own Helmholtz Resonator that will cancel out the specific resonant frequency, but . . . I don't want to do the math. lol

I'll update the thread with the outcome.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts