Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Looking to find the most affordable build for my 19 JLUM. Gonna put 37s, a minimum of 3” lift but would definitely prefer 4”, and not sure about the wheels. I’m a new owner and this is the first build I’ll have done so looking to do it as professionally and realistic as possible without completely breaking the bank. Mind you, this is my DD and the occasional off-roading (prob not any rock crawling) will take place, usually in the summer, but truthfully I want this thing to have the appearance of a jacked up monster lol. Plus, I do travel quite a bit in y JL so it needs to be suitable for highway speeds. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
I see. I admit this is the first time I see a Moab referenced like that.

Perhaps because Moab is essentially a limited edition Sahara. Jeep creates a myriad of limited editions; they rarely get their own acronym.

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see. I admit this is the first time I see a Moab referenced like that.

Perhaps because Moab is essentially a limited edition Sahara. Jeep creates a myriad of limited editions; they rarely get their own acronym.

Anyway, good luck.

Really? It’s all over the forums in my local group. Correct though, it’s essentially a Sahara with Rubi aesthetics.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Hi everyone! Looking to find the most affordable build for my 19 JLUM. Gonna put 37s, a minimum of 3” lift but would definitely prefer 4”, and not sure about the wheels. I’m a new owner and this is the first build I’ll have done so looking to do it as professionally and realistic as possible without completely breaking the bank. Mind you, this is my DD and the occasional off-roading (prob not any rock crawling) will take place, usually in the summer, but truthfully I want this thing to have the appearance of a jacked up monster lol. Plus, I do travel quite a bit in y JL so it needs to be suitable for highway speeds. TIA!

Lifts in that altitude range ARE going to break Piggy... IF done right. May want to examine your needs relative to lift height.

* IMO the fastest way to kill the love is a Mod gone too far - High lifts take you down a rabbit hole of ancillary "needs" to make the Lift behave.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lifts in that altitude range ARE going to break Piggy... IF done right. May want to examine your needs relative to lift height.

I’m trying to get as much height as possible, but have heard that even if I went with a 3” lift, the clearance basically gives off the 4” appeal. Any insights or thoughts on sticking with a 3”?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The lift won't necessarily break you but putting 37s on it and going offroad without doing other mods at the same time, eventually will.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I’m trying to get as much height as possible, but have heard that even if I went with a 3” lift, the clearance basically gives off the 4” appeal. Any insights or thoughts on sticking with a 3”?

Most (not all) Lifts go ^^Up more than advertised, sometimes dramatically. Opposite is true with Tires. Most are smaller than advertised.

I run 35's but 37's would fit. Granted it is a JLUR BUT my Lift is 2" and just 2". The Rancho lift was selected for that reason among others.
37's alone are a questionable DD tire pick IMO - opinions will vary on that score but for my $$ a 2" lift and 35's makes for a Great all around performer.
I off-road. I DD. I still have 8th gear and still get 21-22mpg amazingly enough (on summer gas)

Is it a Lift Monster? I typically don't comment on aesthetics simply too subjective.

Do I like it? Yes.

IMG_20190606_194056.jpg

IMG_20190606_194114.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The lift won't necessarily break you but putting 37s on it and going offroad without doing other mods at the same time, eventually will.

Oh no no no. I’m looking to do an entire build ... axles, gears, literally everything it takes to get 37s. I’m not just trying to throw a lift and tires on lol I’m prepared for the whole rig to be modded.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Oh no no no. I’m looking to do an entire build ... axles, gears, literally everything it takes to get 37s. I’m not just trying to throw a lift and tires on lol I’m prepared for the whole rig to be modded.

Perhaps as a level set .... Defining the size of your "Bank" you don't want to break would help focus input. Our definitions of Piggy's may differ :)

You above partial list already tops $6-7K depending on what you mean by axles maybe another $10k - That is a pretty big
gettyimages-134230870-612x612 (1).jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perhaps as a level set .... Defining the size of your "Bank" you don't want to break would help focus input. Our definitions of Piggy's may differ :)

You above partial list already tops $6-7K depending on what you mean by axles maybe another $10k - That is a pretty big
View attachment 4188797

Lol so I’ve always had in my mind that with a full mod, I’d be investing roughly 10k. HOWEVER, the less expensive, the better. I still want some change to spend on the fun stuff like light bars, rear bumper, etc.

Most importantly, I don’t want to change things I don’t have to, but am willing to do what it takes to get 37s on it. 35s look great, especially on yours, but I’m hoping to get the max height as possible while being reasonable. 37s have always been a dream of mine to have and I would hate getting 35s and then end up regretting it.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Lol so I’ve always had in my mind that with a full mod, I’d be investing roughly 10k. HOWEVER, the less expensive, the better. I still want some change to spend on the fun stuff like light bars, rear bumper, etc.

Most importantly, I don’t want to change things I don’t have to, but am willing to do what it takes to get 37s on it. 35s look great, especially on yours, but I’m hoping to get the max height as possible while being reasonable. 37s have always been a dream of mine to have and I would hate getting 35s and then end up regretting it.

Cogent point. Dreams are well worth realizing and regrets to be avoided.

While I don't "get it" I don't have too - Many seek the 37" Tire as Holy Grail of sorts.
As long as you are ok and informed as to what it entails - Go for it.
On a DD breaking isn't as much an issue as it is on a fairly robust off-road Jeep life.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah, so you say you don't want to break the bank but you're wanting to do a ton of mods. I think estimates of 5k to 10k for all of that are laughable. You may get close if you get junkyard parts and do the work yourself. I'm not a mechanic and I pay retail or get stuff on sale...I'm just an everyday dude...and I'm more than 30k into mods on mine and I don't have full axles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more Wranglers I’ve owned, the less I want to modify them too far away from factory specs.

Not sure that’s a sign of having learned the hard way...or simply that I’m getting old... :)

Touché. This is my first go around, so I want to give it all I got. The goal is to not have this as a DD forever, so there will be less concerns and opportunity for learning the hard way

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, so you say you don't want to break the bank but you're wanting to do a ton of mods. I think estimates of 5k to 10k for all of that are laughable. You may get close if you get junkyard parts and do the work yourself. I'm not a mechanic and I pay retail or get stuff on sale...I'm just an everyday dude...and I'm more than 30k into mods on mine and I don't have full axles.

So 30k after doing just what it takes for tires, wheels and a lift? Or are you referring to all the additional odds and ends plus repairs you’ve encountered down the road? This is an investment vehicle for me, so to start I anticipate throwing down 10k off the bat, but imagine having to put in a lot more as time passes. Is this is similar storyline for you?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
So 30k after doing just what it takes for tires, wheels and a lift? Or are you referring to all the additional odds and ends plus repairs you’ve encountered down the road? This is an investment vehicle for me, so to start I anticipate throwing down 10k off the bat, but imagine having to put in a lot more as time passes. Is this is similar storyline for you?

Not repairs, but all mods. We wheel our Jeep pretty hard and it is a daily driver as well. We need strong and reliable stuff. We've also done armor and lighting.

For 37s heres a short list of necessary mods:
Good lift to include steering and adjustable arms and bump stops
Brakes
Gearing
Axle shafts at least, gussets and ball joints
Ability to carry a 37 spare
Thats 20k right there, at least, if you aren't doing it yourself.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts