Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Spoiler alert: True answer is "2 months to the day".] Many of you here were very helpful, and encouraging, back in August when my wife of 40+ years and I celebrated the arrival of our golden years by placing an order for our first-ever Wrangler. Now I want to come back and share with everyone a quick update on how long it took, for those who might like another data point on this. First, a photo from the first day home from the dealer (see attached). We placed the order on August 12 and the dealer called us on October 12 – exactly 2 months later – to come get it. We were given a VIN number during week #3 and notified in week #7 that it had just left the Toledo plant and was in transit to our dealer in Jacksonville NC. After that, it took a little more than a week to arrive. Our model was a Sahara, with the Altitude package, the ecoDiesel engine, and both safety groups (I mention the safety groups because they probably involve a few additional microchips – possibly a relevant factor in this microchip shortage). The dealer had cautioned us to expect the end-to-end time to be between 2 months and 3 months so we were thrilled to get the call at the low end of the range (when does that EVER happen?!?). One interesting caveat – we had ordered the Mopar weatherproof floor liners but they were not installed – that was the one shortage that impacted us! – the dealer has the mats on order and will install them once they arrive. Thanks again. We love our Wrangler and are happy to be bona fide members of this community now.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2021 JL Unlimited Diesel Gecko Sky One Touch
8 Posts
She is a beauty. Waiting on my EcoDiesel Gecko Rubicon to arrive. Dealer let me know that it shipped yesterday. But could still be 4-6 weeks to make it to Idaho. I think Covid has screwed everything up now and no one wants to make any hard commitments about something (shipping) if they are not actually hands on. Hopefully they call me next Thursday and tell me it is ready for pick up.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks warneramc, Old Dogger, and StevieTex. warneramc - my wife and I love Idaho btw - one of our best ever driving trips was South Dakota (love Custer State Park!) across Wyoming to Idaho (Snake River was a highlight). We’re in a pretty remote/rural area and shipping/delivery took less than 2 weeks so fingers crossed you’ll get yours soon. StevieTex, we went for Sting Gray, which we really love, but it looks quite different in different light conditions, and in cloudy vs. clear skies. That “flat” gray with black (Altitude) accents looked nicely military to us and yet wasn’t too daring (this is our first one and we were a little reserved). But already we’re talking about maybe a yellow (or orange) Sport for our next one someday way down the road - not sure either color is currently stock but hopefully will be when the time comes or perhaps we can persuade Jeep to deliver primed-only and take it to a paint ship ourselves. StevieTex, we now think your fave is another option - we didn’t think we’d like Sarge Green from looking online, but then my wife saw a new one the other day (LOTS of Wranglers in our area) and was surprised at how much she liked it. Can’t wait to see your new Gecko, warneramc!

·
Registered
132 Posts
.......perhaps we can persuade Jeep to deliver primed-only and take it to a paint ship ourselves.
Not ever going to happen. And not because of what folks may think. I did body work for many years and always am amazed at the folks who prime a vehicle and then drive it for weeks or longer thinking they are ok doing so.

Automotive primer is actually POROUS to some degree. It is not and has never been designed to be a top coat or finish coat. It is designed solely for the purpose of preparing the surface for paint. It fills in small sand scratches and hides them from the finish coat.

Never, EVER use primer to protect a surface for any period of time. It does nothing to protect metal from the elements for more than a few days, and that is in an inside environment.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Great looking Jeep! Congratulations!

Those Altitudes look awesome.

If you ever make it to NW Washington State over the next few weeks you can have my Mopar all-weather splash guards. I plan to put them up on Craigslist around Thanksgiving. They show too much dirt for my OCD eyes.

Or, if your dealer refunds you the money for the mats you didn’t receive, you can order a set of Quadratec, WeatherTech or Husky liners. They have deeper grooves, which do a much better job hiding dirt and scuffs.
Product Sleeve Textile Collar Bag

Have fun with the Jeep!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great looking Jeep! Congratulations!

Those Altitudes look awesome.

If you ever make it to NW Washington State over the next few weeks you can have my Mopar all-weather splash guards. I plan to put them up on Craigslist around Thanksgiving. They show too much dirt for my OCD eyes.

Or, if your dealer refunds you the money for the mats you didn’t receive, you can order a set of Quadratec, WeatherTech or Husky liners. They have deeper grooves, which do a much better job hiding dirt and scuffs.
View attachment 4525411

Have fun with the Jeep!
Thanks aldo90731. Good info and and a very kind offer. Alas, GoogleMaps tells me we’re about 45 hours apart (and yes, I checked… that’s fastest driving, not walking, time!) Thanks for the pics too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not ever going to happen. And not because of what folks may think. I did body work for many years and always am amazed at the folks who prime a vehicle and then drive it for weeks or longer thinking they are ok doing so.

Automotive primer is actually POROUS to some degree. It is not and has never been designed to be a top coat or finish coat. It is designed solely for the purpose of preparing the surface for paint. It fills in small sand scratches and hides them from the finish coat.

Never, EVER use primer to protect a surface for any period of time. It does nothing to protect metal from the elements for more than a few days, and that is in an inside environment.
Got it, thanks StevieTex. My better half would someday like a custom-color Wrangler and so I wish the factory would stop after the primer so we could go straight to a custom paint shop to get a unique color applied (before we left NYC we saw a gleaming new JL with a gorgeous pale blue-ish color; my artist wife said it was actually “periwinkle” but I can’t let my friends hear me say that… I’ll stick with “pale blue with a dab of lav”).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congratulations! Put some miles on that thing and then give us a full ride report, especially regarding the diesel engine. I'm on the fence - wanting the diesel but scare of it also because of the new emissions stuff. I love driving diesels - I have a Dodge/Cummins right now but it is pre-emissions and rock solid dependable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A custom color change is going to be a heck of a lot of money......"IF" you can get anyone to do it. There isn't much money in overall paint jobs anymore. Just remember that the door jambs, fender panels, underneath hood, and anything else that is painted also has to be changed. That requires some degree of disassembly. Not trying to burst your bubble, but you're talking a ton of money to change the color properly on a Jeep.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Trust me. You are going to love the diesel. I fell in love with it while looking for a JLU for the wife but she didn’t want one and they had a JLURD on the lot (2-3 weeks before the lots emptied of all things Jeep).
My experience initially was this
At about 480 miles mine went into an active Regen. It injects fuel into the exhaust to burn out and clean the DPF. It tells you to keep driving until it finishes and then smells a little outside(not inside) if you stop shortly after.
I assume it was from the short trips and me babying it around town when I first got it.
I just had it do the 2nd Regen at about 7k miles yesterday morning.
NOTE: my dealer said they have a service bulletin about RAM trucks with the eco diesel to run Diesel Kleen every other fill up because they were seeing asphaltene buildup in the tanks due to the high pressure fuel systems. I try to run it every tank to be sure. Get some of that and run it. It is the silver jug and is available everywhere.
I assume you got the cold weather package. Did you have the dealer installed block heater cord? If not just order it on Amazon for half the price and it installs in a few minutes. Not worth the $100 price tag the dealer charges since the heater element is always installed at the factory on all of them. They are just charging you $100 for the cord. Use it in cold weather.
A nice note on the CWP. In temps below 40F, when you remote start the Jeep it automatically turns on the heated seats and wheel to warm it up for you.

Be aware that if you are driving it hard or on the freeway for long periods, don’t just turn off the engine hot. Give it a minute or 2 to cool the oil down to 215 or below to help prevent oil coking in the turbo. (Oil coming is basically where the oil will sit in the super heated turbo charger and cook and if it is hot enough it can turn to coke.(not Colombian marching powder either))

·
Registered
221 Posts
Oh and the Mopar all weather mats are awesome. They have a topographic pattern to them and are a pretty neat little Easter egg.

You can expect pretty decent fuel economy if you want it. This was on the high end with me seeing how high I could get my lifetime mileage to during a trip to Mass.
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
221 Posts

isn’t primer actually hydroscopic as well? My understanding was that it will actually attract moisture and hold it quite well due to the porosity. Could be lore but it always seems to attract moisture if left unprotected for very long.

·
Registered
105 Posts
[Spoiler alert: True answer is "2 months to the day".] Many of you here were very helpful, and encouraging, back in August when my wife of 40+ years and I celebrated the arrival of our golden years by placing an order for our first-ever Wrangler. Now I want to come back and share with everyone a quick update on how long it took, for those who might like another data point on this. First, a photo from the first day home from the dealer (see attached). We placed the order on August 12 and the dealer called us on October 12 – exactly 2 months later – to come get it. We were given a VIN number during week #3 and notified in week #7 that it had just left the Toledo plant and was in transit to our dealer in Jacksonville NC. After that, it took a little more than a week to arrive. Our model was a Sahara, with the Altitude package, the ecoDiesel engine, and both safety groups (I mention the safety groups because they probably involve a few additional microchips – possibly a relevant factor in this microchip shortage). The dealer had cautioned us to expect the end-to-end time to be between 2 months and 3 months so we were thrilled to get the call at the low end of the range (when does that EVER happen?!?). One interesting caveat – we had ordered the Mopar weatherproof floor liners but they were not installed – that was the one shortage that impacted us! – the dealer has the mats on order and will install them once they arrive. Thanks again. We love our Wrangler and are happy to be bona fide members of this community now. View attachment 4525362 View attachment 4525362
Wow. Beautiful Jeep! I'm very happy for you both! I'm afraid my situation is not so good, as I believe I just missed the cutoff. I ordered mine on August 17, got the VIN fairly quickly, but was just told last week that the factory is now shut down and no Wranglers are being moved. Our dealer tells me they check every day but the factory isn't telling them when they will start back up and when or if we will see our jeep. Original estimate was the same (2-4 months), but now they are saying..good luck lol..
Anyway, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I am sincerely happy for you. I am at the same point in life, and my wife and I decided to buy a Jeep just because we deserve it and we're not getting any younger. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Wow. Beautiful Jeep! I'm very happy for you both! I'm afraid my situation is not so good, as I believe I just missed the cutoff. I ordered mine on August 17, got the VIN fairly quickly, but was just told last week that the factory is now shut down and no Wranglers are being moved. Our dealer tells me they check every day but the factory isn't telling them when they will start back up and when or if we will see our jeep. Original estimate was the same (2-4 months), but now they are saying..good luck lol..
Anyway, I don't mean to rain on your parade. I am sincerely happy for you. I am at the same point in life, and my wife and I decided to buy a Jeep just because we deserve it and we're not getting any younger. :)
My wife and I are close to the same situation, tentatively both of us are retiring the same day, Friday June 3rd, 2022 and wanted a new Wrangler before retirement.. Looking back, I guess I really lucked out by ordering my new Jeep back in mid March.. Took delivery in a timely manner too, just 22 days, but I live 2 hours South of the plant.. We love ours... I screwed up and missed in error ordering the LED headlights, but in process of replacing all those with OE LED's... The only thing I sort of wished I'd ordered was the upgraded leather seat "diamond" pattern option..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts