Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
dirt road inspector
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November 1977 I took delivery of a brand new CJ-7 I ordered from the factory. I ordered every option except the auto tranny and hardtop.

It was a Renegade with the 304 V8, factory air (I may have turned it on a dozen times over the years) and the Levi package (seats & top). I drove it every day for 15 years, about 175k miles. Then I covered it up and put it to sleep.

In about 2005 or so, I was making enough money to take the cover off and start bringing it back to life. Over the next three years, I did a frame off resto build. I said I because I picked all of what was done but a super Jeep mechanic, and ultimately a good friend did the wrenching. In the past, I had done minor work like headers, bolting on accessories and all routine maintenance but I am not a mechanic. My friend Rob did all of the work for more than a fair price. He helped me not make bad choices and guided me toward the good choices.

The results are a fantastic looking CJ with the best powertrain, good looking bodywork, and a head turner.

Then my job changed, not for the worse except I was gone a lot and had no time to drive and enjoy the Jeep. So, I covered it back up and put it back to sleep.

Now 10 years later I am ready to bring it back to life and enjoy it in my retirement years. I will be asking you guys for help on how to do that the right way. Right now, I'm going for a pizza and a cold beer.

Click on the link in my signature or look at the photos below.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I love the cj7. Nice looking jeep.

·
dirt road inspector
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok
, first question.

How do I safely and legally dispose of 18 gallons of 10-year-old gasoline and old antifreeze?

I don't have a mower or any other such that I can mix it with new gas. It all has to go.

The old oil will go to the same place that changes my Wrangler oil. No problem with that.

Attachments

·
dirt road inspector
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those of you that looked at my thread and the two of you that posted. wranglerforum.com is undoubtedly Wrangler centered and that's great, I own two Wranglers and have gotten good info here.

With that being said I will take my CJ thread to another forum where the CJ guys hang.

I really need input on this and it's probably not going to happen here.

See y'all in the JK threads.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok
, first question.

How do I safely and legally dispose of 18 gallons of 10-year-old gasoline and old antifreeze?

I don't have a mower or any other such that I can mix it with new gas. It all has to go.

The old oil will go to the same place that changes my Wrangler oil. No problem with that.
Beautiful CJ! Check with your local Fire Dept. When I drained whatever was in my 3B's tank I needed somewhere to get rid of it. Called around and was directed there. They burned it in their oil burner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great looking CJ. Congrats on having the foresight to hang onto it. I had a 79 Golden Eagle with the 304, and I kick myself all the time for selling it. I just bought a TJ, and I'm really liking it, but I miss the rumble of the 304.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for those of you that looked at my thread and the two of you that posted. wranglerforum.com is undoubtedly Wrangler centered and that's great, I own two Wranglers and have gotten good info here.

With that being said I will take my CJ thread to another forum where the CJ guys hang.

I really need input on this and it's probably not going to happen here.

See y'all in the JK threads.
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that you weren't getting the input you wanted to on here. This is more Wrangler based and I've noticed the CJ forums on here are a little dry.

I have a 1991 YJ, but before that I had a 1984 CJ-7. It was a pretty big problem child and even though it looked pretty it spent more time in my garage with me under the hood than it probably did on the road. I know a good amount about the CJ-7's and even though you're on a different forum, if you have any questions I'd like for you to message me directly on here and see if I can help.

I replaced almost everything you could think of on my CJ-7. They're simple to work on but finding good quality aftermarket parts are hard to come by. You'll have a blast working on it and learning the in and outs of the old CJ's.

Let me know what your progress is on this, and I'll help in any way I can.

-Will

P.S - Here's a picture of my old CJ

·
Registered
45 Posts
I miss my CJ7, 1976, 304, hard top, hard doors. Etc. Very faithful. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts