Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished a 2" lift two weeks ago, since then the drivers side sits 1" higher in the front and 5/8" higher in the rear. Prior to the coil/shock lift I had done a 1" body lift and with the old shocks and coils both sides were the same.

I plan on jacking up the front tomorrow and trying to sag the axle to see if I can see any issues with how the coils sit on the spring perch and how they are touching the isolators. In hindsight I wish I had replaced the isolators, but don't feel like I'm ready to disassemble everything again to replace them. So unless they are the specific problem they will remain.

Someone in another thread suggested that if after a few weeks it still sits like that, I should consider installing a coil spacer on the passenger side to make it the same. I may end up doing that, but it feels like cheating especially after all the work I put into the lift itself, by myself.

Does anyone have and suggestions on what to look for or what to do short of the spacer?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you loosen all the control arm bolts and re-tighten at the new ride height?
I should have also mentioned that with the new coils and shocks I installed all new upper/lower front/rear adjustable control arms. So, they have all been adjusted to the lift

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sway bar links equal? that could probably cause a lean.
They are adjustable quick disconnect links, but given the expected usage of this Jeep, I plan on replacing them this week with fixed length ones. I will disconnect them and see if that makes any difference. I had them disconnected this past week trying to adjust them and it didn't seem to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are two pics, one from each side of the coils and shocks. Doesn't anything look wrong or unusual that would cause the driver's side to be 3/4 of an inch higher than the passengers.

Both seem to sit perfectly in the lower perch with the end of the coil snugged up against the notch in the perch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is just maddening to have had a Jeep that sat level before the lift to now sit unevenly after all the time and money (and bloody knuckles).

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swap the coils to opposite sides? Maybe one has a defect.
I have thought about that, but what a royal pain in the a** and what if all it does is shift the problem to the other side.

I plan on calling the manufacturer tomorrow to see what they suggest as a resolution. If they suggest the same thing, I will do it on the condition that if the problem simply moves, then they need to send me new springs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are the springs sitting in the correct spots on the bottom coil perches? I put a 2 inch lift on mine this summer and after a good flexing they unseated and rotated to what ended up being a lower orientation. The bottom of the coil slid out of the notch in the perch. I rotated them back in and put in a set of spring retaining clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are the springs sitting in the correct spots on the bottom coil perches? I put a 2 inch lift on mine this summer and after a good flexing they unseated and rotated to what ended up being a lower orientation. The bottom of the coil slid out of the notch in the perch. I rotated them back in and put in a set of spring retaining clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok good question. Today I jacked up the Jeep and removed the front tires. I could see the end of both springs right up against the notch or cutout for the spring. My Jeep didn't have any retaining clips holding the springs, but it did appear that both end were tight up against that notch.

I then sagged the axle and used a bottle jack to jack one side up at a time forcing the other side to go very far down. At that point while the spring wasn't terribly loose, I was able to rotate it a bit to ensure that the spring end was positioned properly. As best I can tell, the coils are positioned properly

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I had a similar problem after installing a new lift years ago and it bugged the crap out of me. Mine sat 1.5" difference up front (side to side). First I swapped the coils to opposite sides with ZERO difference. Then I added a 1.5" spacer on the low side to fix it. To my surprise, it was still 1.5" lower with a 1.5" spacer. WTH!!! :pullinghair: Finally I contacted the company that sold me the lift and they sent me new front coils (free of charge). I only used the one for the low side and problem solved. It was apparently a defective coil. All was well after that and the Jeep and I were happy again....That is until a lady ran a red light and hit me in the side at 50 mph.:censored:

:rip: 03' Jeep.

Attachments

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
There is a manufacturer (ome maybe?) That had a slightly different spring for passenger vs driver side door some reason...
You are correct. :)

OME supplies four different coils of four different lengths! OME coils have a different free height for the right and left sides - if you do not install them properly your Jeep will set crooked.

Here is how to install them correctly on a traditional American left-hand drive vehicle:
Front
drivers side gets the taller coil
passenger side gets the shorter coil
Rear
drivers side get the shorter coil this time
passenger side gets the taller coil.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I've spoken with the vendor this morning (Rock Krawler) and they noticed that the rear coils had been installed upside down. DOH! I was able to remove and reinstall them correctly this afternoon, with no net change in the stance of the vehicle, it still sits noticeably higher on the drivers side. The measurement of the top of the tires (center of wheel, brand new tires, same inflation of 30 psi) is as follows before and after the coil swap

BEFORE AFTER
Front drivers 10 inches 10 inches
Front Passenger 8 1/4 inches 8 inches

Rear drivers 9 3/8 inches 9 3/4 inches
Rear passenger 8 1/8 inches 8 inches

Other than the coils springs, what else could it be. I've replaced the control arms with adjustable ones front and rear, upper and lower. I've replaced both track bars and rear sway bar, although at the moment both front and rear sway bar end links are disconnected. I've also had a four wheel computer alignment done where thrust angle was corrected from .30 degree to .01 degrees.

I'm still at a loss for answers as to what it could be other than defective springs.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Springs control ride height. They should send you another set free and take the old ones back (if they want them and pay the shipping).

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Problem solved!!!!:atomic:

I called the manufacturer this morning and we discussed the drivers side higher than the passenger side. They asked for a ton of pics, which I sent. They then suggested I move the coil from the drivers side to the passenger side, which you guys also suggested.

I told them I was not thrilled with all that work only to find that the problem shifted sides and then I would need to take them off again and replace them with new ones. Instead, I was willing to take them both off and compare.

The coil with the white zip tie came from the passenger side. What do you think now.....I was not crazy!!! (my wife says that I am, just not this time)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, that was not noticeable prior to the 1st install? Or it was noticed and expected (i.e., was what you expected)?
To be honest, I laid all the parts out on a blanket in my garage prior to installation - shocks, coils, front/rear - upper/lower controls arms, tie rod, drag link, rear sway bar and end links, front end links, front trackbar and rear trackbar.

I was so busy unboxing and ensuring I had all the parts that I don't recall setting the coils side by side for a comparison. In hindsight, that was dumb, but I guess I just expected them to be correct since they were boxed together.

The effect was certainly not expected.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts