Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, had an interesting coolant situation...went mudding in Azusa, CA, and long story short got too much mud on my radiator and boiled out a bunch of coolant.

Cleaned off the radiator but I had very little coolant left. "Fortunately" a buddy had some Prestone "universal" coolant, so we poured that in and off we went. On the way home I started overheating again, so I took it to the dealer. I vaguely remember a thread about how the 13s+ use a different coolant that doesn't mix well with other stuff, so I assumed that was the issue.

That was indeed the case they said. So they gave me a coolant flush and replaced all the coolant with, as stated in the title, the HOAT coolant, used on 12s and prior. I confirmed this by googling the part number on the invoice. Unfortunately I didn't think to check this at the time...they seemed to know what they were doing so I was happy to be off on my way. I didn't end up deciding to look into it until almost a week later, as I've been busy and frankly, just forgot.

Now, the jeep has actually been running fine. I've had the jeep back for about 2 weeks and put about 400 miles on it, in the hot CA summer. No problems.

Since they did a flush of the OAT before putting in the HOAT, should I be worried about this or not? In my mind, I've basically got a 2012 now, as far as the coolant is concered. Assuming they did the flush correctly, there shouldn't be an HOAT/OAT mix going on.

However it's possible there was some trace amounts left over inside after the flush. Could that cause problems for me down the road? Likewise, if they were to flush the HOAT out and replace with OAT, I might still end up with HOAT leftover, potentially causing the same problem. :atomic:

What do you guys think I should do about this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Depends on the quality of the flush which if it's from a dealer who used HOAT in your 2013, I bet is below par. I personally don't like it, a full clean flush is a big job.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The factory actually used HOAT (5yr. 100,000) in some early 13"s. They should have used OAT (10 yr. 150,000) after they did the flush since that would lead to less confusion down the road. As long as it was flushed properly, which it seems it was, it's fine. At this point, you have to make sure no one makes a mistake and adds OAT in the future. Universal any make/model coolant isn't good to add to an OAT fill unless it's an absolute emergency. It's less of an issue with HOAT, but I still wouldn't use it. If it was my JK I would talk to them about it. They might have worked off your VIN/production date and actually used what was added at the factory. But at this point you don't know that. Talk to the service manager and ask why the HOAT fill on a 13.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
You might want to add some sort of label near the filler so the wrong stuff doesn't get added. The pic below is what the service department added to my 2013 JK that was built in December, 2012. According to the service manager who says he talked to some engineers in Detroit, the 2013s came from the factory with HOAT prior to the 2013 calendar year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Adding that label is a good idea for sure, nice suggestion.

While I can't say for sure that mine came with OAT or HOAT from the factory, I'm assuming though I had the OAT. When I bought it, it was the last '13 on the lot at the time, as 14s were starting to show up. So obviously a late production '13.

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
While I can't say for sure that mine came with OAT or HOAT from the factory, I'm assuming though I had the OAT. When I bought it, it was the last '13 on the lot at the time, as 14s were starting to show up. So obviously a late production '13.
What is the build date on the driver's door jam?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Im not an expert but Chrysler changed to OAT for a reason after 2012 so I would probably ask them if it's best to have them do another flush (on their dime as they put the wrong stuff in) and add back the OAT it's supposed to have.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you had a late production 13 then you def had OAT in thee. I'd want a new flush with OAT so there isn't more confusion down the road.

I also am not sure I believe that some early 13 had HOAT despite what a service manager claimed he heard from engineers in detroit. To use two different and incompatible coolants on the same model year of a vehicle is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It has been documented that a small number of early 13's did get a HOAT fill from the factory. "Running" changes are made all the time and it's documented by VIN and/or build date. Obviously it shouldn't have been done because the 13 owners manual specifically indicates OAT for a 2013 JK, but Chrysler conducts the running changes and then makes the changes known to the dealer through their network. They're not concerned that it might contradict an owners manual because they're covered by a disclaimer. That's also why they conveniently have pre-printed modification labels for subsequent change notifications to owners and other techs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
As long as they did the flush correctly and got all the old stuffs out, you'll be ok. Must remember to use HOAT from now on if you have to add coolant. I would buy a bottle from the dealer and have it on hand next time your out wheeling.

·
Registered
304 Posts
FYI:
OAT: Organic Additive Technology
HOAT: Hybrid Organic Additive Technology
Chrysler doesn't recommend mixing OAT to HOAT to the green stuff.
As long as you get all the old stuff out it'll be fine.
By the way, neither is Dexcool.
The best definition of generic fluid: "Fits everything equally poorly"

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
I just took the cap off my radiator on my 2013 to have a look see. As you can tell from the picture my coolant is as orange as my Jeep. Looks like little flecks of dust on top. Is that the "sludge" issue I have heard about or just dust? I assume this means I have HOAT in my 2013? (Mfgd in Oct. 2012).

Attachments

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I just took the cap off my radiator on my 2013 to have a look see. As you can tell from the picture my coolant is as orange as my Jeep. Looks like little flecks of dust on top. Is that the "sludge" issue I have heard about or just dust? I assume this means I have HOAT in my 2013? (Mfgd in Oct. 2012).
You could have HOAT, the production date is in that range. The actual color can look differently and sometimes it's more difficult to actually tell. There have been a number of right ups on this and trying to strictly go by color when the coolant is in or out of the system, and depending upon the light, isn't as easy at it seems sometimes. The best way is to check with the dealer. They'll enter your info. into their system and should be able to tell you what was installed at the factory. The fleks could be remnants of Mopar stop leak.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,010 Posts
There has been a lot of controversy over the 2013 model. HOAT, or OAT??? I recommend that you look at your owners manual and see what it recommends!!!!!!!! Then use only what that manual recommends.....:thumb:

Mine has a build date of Feb, 2013. It does have the purple OAT in it. That is also what my manual so states!

When you look at the coolant in the overflow bottle with the lid off, it may look orange. But when you pull some out in a baster, then you will see the real color, and mine is as purple as it gets!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There's good info. here which helps but also adds to the confusion regarding early 13 JK's. Check with the dealer and/or do a complete and thorough flush and use OAT if it's not already in your system. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-hoat-or-oat-1050513.html

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
There has been a lot of controversy over the 2013 model. HOAT, or OAT??? I recommend that you look at your owners manual and see what it recommends!!!!!!!! Then use only what that manual recommends.....:thumb:
That will not necessarily tell the owner what it came with from the factory. I have been back and forth with Chrysler Customer Service on this issue, with the latest round this past week.

They are standing firm on what the service department manager says my 2013 JK came with from the factory. He says HOAT, although my 2013 owners manual says OAT. They refuse to do a free flush and fill with OAT but they said I could pay $155 to have it done.

Here's the most recent update:

Christina,

Thank you for your reply. As I previously stated, the official records in the manuals and on the computer state that my 2013 Wrangler gets OAT antifreeze. If I have it serviced somewhere and they fill it with OAT, as it states it should have, will you assume liability for any damage that may occur when the HOAT and OAT incompatible coolants are mixed together? I have on record that you have told me that HOAT is what my vehicle gets, although every official document states otherwise.

I just do not want to have to battle with Chrysler over a long, drawn-out process on who is going to pay for replacing my radiator, heater core, etc., if some service department someday adds OAT coolant and the system gets clogged. I will remind Chrysler of this email correspondence at that time and I have a copy of it saved in my records.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
To: Jeff xxxx < [email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Jul 16, 2015 3:55 am
Subject: Re: Chrysler Group LLC Customer Assistance (xxxxx)

Dear Jeffrey,
Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center regarding your 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4X4. Our records show that you have contacted us by telephone, and a previous email, and we have addressed your concern. We have updated your file to reflect the latest information you provided in the email message. We thank you for your recent email, although it does not contain any information that would cause a change in the previous information provided.

After thoroughly reviewing your request and the files on this matter, we see that the we had contacted ROYAL GATE CHRYSLER and spoke to Service Manager Curtis who had informed us that this vehicle was built in 2012 which came with the Orange 5 year coolant. The vehicles built in 2013 came with the purple 10 year coolant. He recommends continuing to use the orange coolant. We respectfully concur with the decision rendered by our Dealership Representative. Any future communication related to this issue will be retained in corporate records. Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this email message or call 1-877-I-AM-JEEP (1-877-426-5337).

Sincerely, Christina
Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center

Original Message Follows: ------------------------ US Customer Service - Chrysler Brand Site Brief Description: OAT Antifreeze Comments:

I have a 2013 Wrangler that has a build date of December, 2012. I have read that my vehicle requires OAT antifreeze. My 2013 owner's manual even says the following: "The manufacturer recommends using MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent."

According to the service manager at a local dealership, my Wrangler came with HOAT antifreeze from the factory because it was built before the 2013 calendar year. Every official document I have read says that my 2013 Wrangler should get OAT. I even had the dealership parts counter manager look it up on his computer. If I were to go in and request a gallon of antifreeze and someone looked up the correct type it comes up "OAT" in the system. I have requested that the service department do a complete flush and fill with OAT but they have refused unless I am willing to pay for it.

It is not my fault if my 2013 Wrangler has HOAT and it is supposed to have OAT. Actually, I think it came with OAT and the Quick Lube Express person may have topped it off one or more times with the wrong antifreeze and the service department is trying to hide their tracks.

My concern is if I have my Wrangler serviced somewhere and they check in a computer to see what type antifreeze it should have they will fill it with OAT. The two types are not compatible. Can you help me with this? Thank you.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,010 Posts
There's good info. here which helps but also adds to the confusion regarding early 13 JK's. Check with the dealer and/or do a complete and thorough flush and use OAT if it's not already in your system. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-hoat-or-oat-1050513.html
^^^I just re-read through this old Thread.
This issue is just unbelievable!!! And as of current, I'm not sure that anybody, including our Dealers have a total understanding of the issue at hand!!!

It sounds like everybody has a opinion, Dealers included, but who is correct...:crazy::crazy::crazy:

One thing that I am sure of is, when you talk with Jeep Technical Service, they will tell you to follow your Owners guide/manual!!!!!

I have done that and been there on other issues with them!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts