Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 3 inch lift from rancho 2 weeks ago. Overall the ride is great and handling is good on the road. However when making low speed turns specifically when turning left the rear of the jeep seems like it has excessive roll or is sliding.

I have checked the trackbar and everything seems fine and is torqued to spec. It's a jks adjustable.

I'm kind of wondering if slightly mismatched sway bar link lengths would cause this? The kit had me drill out a hole to raise the sway bar links and I know one side came out 1/4 to 1/2 inch different from the other.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Is your axle centered?

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Possible you have a bad shock? Or your spring isn't seated correctly?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks are all brand new rs9000s. The rear trackbar is an adjustable jks. I ended up not using the bracket included in the kit.

I'll double check how the spring is seated but I'm pretty sure it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
With 3 inches, dont you need the rear trackbar bracket?

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
I don't think 1/2" is enough to make you feel it like you are describing, but oversteer in one direction and understeer in the other is exactly what a pre-loaded sway bar would do. So either fix the holes or get adjustable links so you can get rid of the pre-load.

Why did you decide not to use the rear track bar bracket? You gave up the roll center correction that is useful for on road driving...

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
I don't think 1/2" is enough to make you feel it like you are describing, but oversteer in one direction and understeer in the other is exactly what a pre-loaded sway bar would do. So either fix the holes or get adjustable links so you can get rid of the pre-load. Why did you decide not to use the rear track bar bracket? You gave up the roll center correction that is useful for on road driving...
I am pretty sure a upper side bracket is used.
Something like this
http://www.krawloff-road.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=tf-1954777&404;http://www.krawloff-road.com:80/product_p/tf-1954777.htm=

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
I am pretty sure a upper side bracket is used.
Something like this
TeraFlex JK Wrangler Rear Trackbar Bracket (For 2-6" Lift)
Based on the pictures, all of the 3" systems on their website look to use the same axle side bracket that was in my 4" kit... Then I opened the installation instructions and see a completely different and definitely a frame side bracket.

I like Rancho, but I hate when manufacturers make mistakes like that...

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I am assuming the shocks are adjustable. Check your adjustment knob and set it as stiff as possible and see if it easily compressed. Or Maybe just take off the bottom bolt of both rears and check their compression rate.

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
Does he still need bracket with adjustable track bar?
Off road? not at all... On road? there are definite advantages to running a bracket.

As @kjeeper10 said, ideally you want both.

·
Registered
669 Posts
your rear diff is probably fine..

What you are feeling is the oversteer on the front.
install a set of adjustable lower front control arms and change the camber and you will feel that looseness go away.

I have done this and it fixed that floating feeling.
To confirm a friend with exact same AEV 3.5 lift JKU did the lower control arm change and it fixed the loose feeling in his.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah now I'm kind of second guessing my decision to ditch the bracket as quick as I did. I could still add it back in. It was just nothing but problems getting it aligned correctly. As I've already drilled the holes it probably wouldn't be too bad to add it on.

I'm debating the idea of ordering quick disconnects for the front and moving the front sway bar links to the back and then using the stock holes.

Also as far as the the idea I need front adjustable lca. I did add the rancho geometry correction brackets. Alignment was done and castor was I think 4.5. I don't think whatever is going on is from the front end.

Honestly it's really minor. Part of me wonders if it's just me not being used to having a 3 inch lift that netted 4 inches and bigger tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,525 Posts
Yeah now I'm kind of second guessing my decision to ditch the bracket as quick as I did. I could still add it back in. It was just nothing but problems getting it aligned correctly. As I've already drilled the holes it probably wouldn't be too bad to add it on. I'm debating the idea of ordering quick disconnects for the front and moving the front sway bar links to the back and then using the stock holes. Also as far as the the idea I need front adjustable lca. I did add the rancho geometry correction brackets. Alignment was done and castor was I think 4.5. I don't think whatever is going on is from the front end. Honestly it's really minor. Part of me wonders if it's just me not being used to having a 3 inch lift that netted 4 inches and bigger tires.
I think your assessment is pretty accurate. I still lean towards the preloaded sway bar as the cause of your issue. Also agree that it's not control arms.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts