Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to jeeps and the forum...so new I don't have a jeep yet :). Anyway, I was looking up aftermarket accessories and I'm seeing a lot of stuff that is cheaper than I was expecting. When I was researching the same items for my truck they were a lot more expensive. Is this because the jeep is such a long standing icon there are cheaper parts for it? Or did I just find the cheap (as in not good parts) portion of the internet? A lot of them were from Quadratec. Are they decent? For example a 3.5" maximum duty suspension kit for way way less than an equivalent suspension kit for my old truck. Help me understand the mysterious ways of the Jeep!! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hello,
I'm new to jeeps and the forum...so new I don't have a jeep yet :). Anyway, I was looking up aftermarket accessories and I'm seeing a lot of stuff that is cheaper than I was expecting. When I was researching the same items for my truck they were a lot more expensive. Is this because the jeep is such a long standing icon there are cheaper parts for it? Or did I just find the cheap (as in not good parts) portion of the internet? A lot of them were from Quadratec. Are they decent? For example a 3.5" maximum duty suspension kit for way way less than an equivalent suspension kit for my old truck. Help me understand the mysterious ways of the Jeep!! Thanks for the help!
Welcome! Not knowing what you had before, the price difference could be because IFS lifts are typically more expensive than lifts for a solid axle. That said, you can spend very little money or $1000's on a new lift. Things like adjustable control arms, long arm lifts, or external res coilovers can make kits very pricy. Go look at metal cloak or long arm rock krawler lifts.

And yes, Quadratec is a good vender and active on the forum.

Look around on the build thread section to get an idea of what people are running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 2008 Tundra. Thanks for the help. I have been bouncing around trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy a Rubicon or buy a Sahara and upgrade it. I'm trying to figure out what the $10,000 disparity in price is buying me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had a 2008 Tundra. Thanks for the help. I have been bouncing around trying to figure out if it is worth it to buy a Rubicon or buy a Sahara and upgrade it. I'm trying to figure out what the $10,000 disparity in price is buying me. Thanks.
It buys lots really and which you choose is really just a personal choice. I have a sport that's sorta built up. Nothing crazy, but it goes everywhere I want it to.

With a rubicon you get a lower "low range" ratio in the transfer case (4:1) front and rear selectable lockers, electronic disconnect sway bars, Dana 44 front axle, optional 4.10 gears. They also tend to hold their value better.

Do you need all that stuff? Depends on how you use it. I haven't ever done a trail where I wished I had a rubicon but I also don't rock crawl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It buys lots really and which you choose is really just a personal choice. I have a sport that's sorta built up. Nothing crazy, but it goes everywhere I want it to.

With a rubicon you get a lower "low range" ratio in the transfer case (4:1) front and rear selectable lockers, electronic disconnect sway bars, Dana 44 front axle. They also tend to hold their value better.

Do you need all that stuff? Depends on how you use it. I haven't ever done a trail where I wished I had a rubicon but I also don't rock crawl.
I don't plan on rock crawling but I do enjoy more than just dirt road drivin. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't plan on rock crawling but I do enjoy more than just dirt road drivin. Thanks for the info.
No problem. I spend a lot of time on what most would say are "moderate" trails in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Colorado. For dirt road driving or the more "overland" style travel, a Sahara would be very capable. But, whichever you buy, you'll end up modding. It's a sickness very common among Jeep owners and the condition seems to worsen the more time you spend on this forum! Welcome to the madness.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Some will argue invariably, but my belief is that unless you do serious rocks or severe inclines, I prefer the non RocTrac transfer case. 4:1 ratio sounds awesome, until you want to sling mud or cruise trails through the forest. It's just too low with too much torque for slippery terrain. I love my Sahara and I can't imagine finding anything around the hills of WV that I would need a lower low range for. Hope this is helpful.

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some will argue invariably, but my belief is that unless you do serious rocks or severe inclines, I prefer the non RocTrac transfer case. 4:1 ratio sounds awesome, until you want to sling mud or cruise trails through the forest. It's just too low with too much torque for slippery terrain. I love my Sahara and I can't imagine finding anything around the hills of WV that I would need a lower low range for. Hope this is helpful.

Joe
Ok!! A fellow Mountaineer!! I will be coming back home to retire so that is the type of terrain I will be doing. Talk to me Goose!!

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
@Blackbirdmk4 I also had a tundra. 5.7 ltd crewmax. I had a 6" procomp lift and 35's... Lifting an IFS as OKstatejk stated will be more expensive. I was glad that our jk's have solid axles so price point on lift is very affordable compared to IFS, and i'm more glad that my JK gets better mileage w/ 35's as opposed to the tundra.

That's the only good part price-wise lol, otherwise read more on how to lift a jk to better familiarize yourself and make a purchase that best suits you.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Joe
I completely agree with this. Of course it depends on how you use it. Personally, I have to drive mine to work on Monday, that's why I avoid rock crawling. Did it for a day and that was plenty for me. But with 4.56 gears and the sport low range, I've decended black bear pass and other infamous Colorado mountains without really needing the brakes It's plenty low for me.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Ok!! A fellow Mountaineer!! I will be coming back home to retire so that is the type of terrain I will be doing. Talk to me Goose!!
@Blackbirdmk4 feel free to take a look at my build thread to see some mods I've done as well as what kind of playing we get to do here in the southeast part of the state.

Right now I've taken a stock Sahara w/ manual transmission and 3.73 gearing, added steel front bumper(deer repellant), #12000 winch(wheel solo often), 275/70/18 General Grabber AT2s(looks and function better), 2.5" lift(again for looks and better articulation wheeling). Getting ready to add aftermarket heated seats(had them in my last JKU and loved them), LUX led rock lights(cool factor and night wheeling). Sometime in the near future I need a new steel rear bumper as a step toward my goal of going to 35" tires after these ones wear out. Can't think of anything else, but for around here you need to plan for slick clay, stuck mud, snow both packed and powder, hills, stream crossings, and the occasional rocks if crawling up a streambed. Plan your mods with those conditions and opportunities in mind and you will be fine. Just take it from me, you don't want a 3.21 geared unlimited around here. The grades are just too much.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
Wrangler is the most customizable vehicle on the market. It singlehandedly supports a whole industry of aftermarket accessory fabricators. There are tons of choices ranging from affordable to very expensive; from the tasteful to the gaudy; from top quality to Made in China chintzy.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
Wrangler is the most customizable vehicle on the market. It singlehandedly supports a whole industry of aftermarket accessory fabricators. There are tons of choices ranging from affordable to very expensive; from the tasteful to the gaudy; from top quality to Made in China chintzy.
I made the switch from imports to JK's because I thought imports were an expensive hobby... I was so wrong lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everybody for the great info and advice. I will be looking into some of these threads to figure out what will work best for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts