Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their radio for their 2019 JL? I just have the standard system 5 inch and I am looking to upgrade, especially since this one I have is not satellite compatible.

So, any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know some people have upgraded from the 5" to 7" or 8.4" units. But I haven't seen much yet in the 3rd party area. The JLs are still relatively new. If you search YouTube etc you'll see some upgrades

·
Registered
192 Posts
anyone know the cost of the high end Mopar unit? I'm in the same boat... I'm assuming getting it and installing it at a dealership in the way to go?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
might be-

anyone know the cost of the high end Mopar unit? I'm in the same boat... I'm assuming getting it and installing it at a dealership in the way to go?
I asked my dealership but they had zero parts, no radio, no clue, and no information for the 2019. They did't even know what I was talking about! No help at all.

I called Mopar, and they had no idea either for the 2019. So from doing my own search on their website, it appears they have 2 different radios for the 5 inch; one is satellite compatible and one is not. I went to the 2018 radios on Mopar website to discover this in terms of what you can order, and that is what is listed. But nothing for 2019.

When I purchsed my Jeep, I made the mistake in thinking the only difference in radios was just the $200 satellite subscription listed on the sticker. But it is not that simple.

No other auto company does this! To create two versions of the radio--one satellite compatibale and one not! And then not to explain that to the dealers and even the Mopar reps. That's a big WTF?!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's an option/example but I don't have any personal experience with this company. They seem to be first to market with a product. (Expensive product!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I swapped out my 7" screen to the 8.4. You have to make sure the radio you are buying has satellite unless you had satellite in your last radio then you don't need to purchase the antenna. You have dual antennas on your truck one for satelite and the other for nav if you have the 8.4

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
did you have to add anything for the 7inch? did you already have satellite capability before hand?

·
Registered
108 Posts
There must be a few aftermarket satellite antenna options available. It seems similar to GPS which is cheap and simple to add an antenna. I tucked one under the dash in my last vehicle and it worked great.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is THE problem

There must be a few aftermarket satellite antenna options available. It seems similar to GPS which is cheap and simple to add an antenna. I tucked one under the dash in my last vehicle and it worked great.
no one knows anything. Mopar does not know. Jeep dealership doesn't know Jeep parts guy doesn't know. No one knows anything.

All I want is a radio that gets sirius satellite. That's it. I do not want GPS. I do not want navigation. I only Sirius radio and no one has any answers. Jeep & Mopar reps do not even realize there are two different 5 inch radios that look exactly alike except one can get Sirius and one can not! This is really one big cluster! lol

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
no one knows anything. Mopar does not know. Jeep dealership doesn't know Jeep parts guy doesn't know. No one knows anything.

All I want is a radio that gets sirius satellite. That's it. I do not want GPS. I do not want navigation. I only Sirius radio and no one has any answers. Jeep & Mopar reps do not even realize there are two different 5 inch radios that look exactly alike except one can get Sirius and one can not! This is really one big cluster! lol
Give Crutchfield a call.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called High Country Performance 4x4 out here in Denver today. They said they have had similar calls with my issue and said that Alpine has one that will have satellite capability but not until October. They encouraged me to call AT Audio out here in Denver to see if any other brands will be coming out sooner. I know Jeep customer care sometimes monitors this site and will address questions. If they do see this, let me tell you Jeep-- you have to do better! It is JUST a radio! Just allow us to buy the stock radios that have satellite capability! This is not hard Jeep, my lord, I'm not building a rocket ship here! lol Thanks to all who have helped!! You guys rock!

·
Registered
192 Posts
well it LOOKS like you could use the Infotainment version with a satellite dongle... combining the 2 would be optimal I'd suspect. I'm still skeptical paying nearly 2K for just a new head unit tho!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts