Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've put on new rims, you might want to read this post on another forum; it's one of those things that you either know is a danger or you completely overlook (the cause of the failure is on the 2nd page):

Wheel stud failure

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Good info; thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't know that I would blame the aftermarket wheels or the studs in this case. It looks like he didn't remove the retaining clips from the studs when he changed his stock wheels to aftermarket (which don't have the recess for them). This is what likely caused the failure as the wheels were not able to seat correctly at all.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I don't know that I would blame the aftermarket wheels or the studs in this case. It looks like he didn't remove the retaining clips from the studs when he changed his stock wheels to aftermarket (which don't have the recess for them). This is what likely caused the failure as the wheels were not able to seat correctly at all.
That was the point of the post....

BTW, after reading this, I went to Discount Tire ---- time for a rotation anyway ---- and removed the clips. My ProComp wheels didn't have the recesses in them.
Now I know why I had to torque them down so often. Glad that nothing bad happened. They've been on almost 13,000 miles.

Discount Tire said they usually check....

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Great info. What strikes me is How many things can go wrong and then multiply those odds by the number of Folks "modding" even those of us that know what we are doing and might miss some small detail that makes all the difference.
Now imagine those who don't know what they are doing.....

Wear your seat belts and stay aware Folks :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I thought this was common knowledge, goes to show you can't expect everyone to know everything even if it is something you thought was common since.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I remember this from having my TJ, when I swapped the wheels out the guy was checking everything and telling me the horror stories of bad fitting wheels, caliper issues, brake issues, wheel weights catching on stuff, retainer clips, busted studs, warped wheels, etc. I learned a lot just hanging with him for two hours while he leisurely mounted and balanced my new set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts