Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 sport and the stock radio with only 2 stock dash speakers isn't cutting it anymore. My TJ didn't come with the sound bar but I already ordered a used one from ebay out of a 2000 wrangler. I'm not trying to have a thumping system with a lot of bass but I'm more interested in a really nice sounding clear system that overall sounds good. I think I have my system picked out but I'd like to see what you guys think before I make the purchase and do you guys have any suggestions on something different. Here's what I think I'm going to go with:

Either the Pioneer MVH-X370BT or the Kenwood KDC-BT318U for the Head Unit (I gotta have blue tooth and AUX/USB port)

Kenwood KAC-M1804 amp
(I like that it's compact and water resistant, probably will tuck it in in the dash somewhere)

Polk Audio db521 speakers in the dash and nalin adapters
(I've heard good things about Polk Audio and they are also marine graded)

Polk Audio db651 speakers in sound bar
(People have said that 6.5 speakers should fit in roll bar and again marine graded)

I've installed a couple systems in my day but my only concerns are that I've always used bigger amps and they weren't RCA cables. I also dont really understand the harness style power supply on this amp, I've always ran the power cable staight to the battery, ran each individual wire to its speaker and then ran the wires to the HU. Is this amp plenty powerful for this speaker setup, I'm all ears guys and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi- I have the 521's in the dash, the 651's in the sound bar. Instead of an amp, I went with the sound ordnance 8bptd 8" powered sub from crutcfield. It fits perfectly under the rear seat and gives it a great boost to the system. It fills in the lower end sound.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I don't want to install a sub, maybe down the road in my middle console. Also I want to avoid anything under the back seat, I want to stay away from the jeep thieves. This amp just is wired up differently compared to any other amp I've ever wired so I just was hoping some one would maybe have experience with these types of compact amps. Also I'm not a fan of my speakers running off my HU. I want to be able to crank it up if need be.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've gone through 1 pioneer and 1 Kenwood head unit since I've had my jeep. They only seem to last around a year and a half before the vibration and stress of a jeep kill it. My brother's head units seem to live shorter lives than mine, although we've been through the same number of them in about the same amount of time. My suggestion is to get something that isn't super expensive. Just a heads up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts